_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Flower Power
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 409 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:41 PM UTC
Here is my latest project ...tandem build for the crewmembers of the ships themselves( well, to be specific the son of a member of Snowberrys officer staff, and the wireless operator from Trillium)...HMCS Trillium, and HMCS Snowberry..sanding down the hulls, removing the keel and reshaping the bow

the Snowberry will be getting a full outfitting from Great Little Ships ..

and Trillium will be mostly scratch upgrading, with the weapons fitted out by Sirmar

These are important builds for me ,as I am honoured to show respect to these men. I will try and post pics of my progress on both ships as I go ...but have patience fellas..
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:48 PM UTC
Looking good Jim.
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 02:43 AM UTC
Many thanks ...
Snowberry- I have reached a point where I need the plans for the actual ship, due to the differences in the Flowers... scuttle locations, and keel are in question right now. The hull is pretty much sanded to within an inch of its life..lol...I used my palm sander for most of it!!
Trillium- I will construct the 2 pound gun today and start clean up on the wheel house parts..
Im still sourcing out the brass posts to go on the ships.. Here in Canada they are like hens teeth..the American company I sourced asks for a minimum order of $100.00, and I dont think I need that many of the little devils!!..my current solution is to take cabinet knobs, break off the ceramic knob, and saw off the neck with a hacksaw ...seems to work...but a bit time consuming..
Removed by original poster on 12/30/09 - 15:26:39 (GMT).
RedwingNev
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
Model Shipwrights: 52 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 03:07 AM UTC
Is this the Revell 1/72 kit?
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 03:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is this the Revell 1/72 kit?

Yes, the Trillium is the old original Matchbox, but the Revell kit is the same molds. I have put together the hull on the Revell so far, and the fit seems better than the matchbox..
Removed by original poster on 12/30/09 - 17:56:39 (GMT).
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 05:55 AM UTC
I got to work today on the Trilliums Pom Pom. I will leave the gun removedfrom the cradle, and add the gunsights later to facilitate painting..

in the picture below is Sirmars 2 pound Pom Pom gun. The walls of the stage have been rebuilt with cardstock. The voicetube is rod with carved solder

Compared to the Snowberrys Pom Pom I already built..

I didnt like the ammunition, which was simply relief on photo etch, so I cut down some ammunition from Tamiyas flack gun, and put it into the ammo case. I compared the sizes and they matched up well..

kamikaze
Visit this Community
Romania
KitMaker: 102 posts
Model Shipwrights: 20 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 12:21 AM UTC
Nice work Jim! I will follow this thread as I have this kit waiting for me to get it started. I'm a little scared because being so big I really need to pay attention to all the details and "scratch" is the key word ( along with some PE and AM , depending on the budget ). Good luck with them Jim!
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 01:50 AM UTC
Thank you Dragos.
I have reached a point on Snowberry where working drawings are necissary. The number and placement of scuttles is in question,so I have contacted the curator of the Alberta Naval museum, and he has promised to assist me in any way possible. They are a volunteer museum and I told him I would try and send a donation in gratitude for his assistance. Murray is a kind fellow,and they seem to be a good reference for all things Navy and have scads of info on Flower Class 'Vettes
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 05:20 AM UTC
Boy, at 1:72 you really need all the aftermarket stuff to make the kits come alive.

--Karl
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 01:57 AM UTC
Great WIP, great job on the P-P. Look forward to the rest of the build!
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 02:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Boy, at 1:72 you really need all the aftermarket stuff to make the kits come alive.

--Karl

And that we have! with a full compliment of photo etch from Great Little Ships for Snowberry she should look Ship-shape!( I did NOT pay for all of this , Im building it for a freind..hes is far more affluent than I) Trillium has all of the weaponry being replaced by Sirmar products, and I am currently looking at sourcing the working drawings to possibly scratchbuild her bridge,etc.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 07:06 AM UTC
It's good to get tips on where to find that extra Flower stuff--I want to do an early-war short forecastle and a Castle class.

--Karl
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 01:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's good to get tips on where to find that extra Flower stuff--I want to do an early-war short forecastle and a Castle class.

--Karl

thats the main reason I thought to start this thread, along with allowing the fellow Im doing Snowberry for to follow along at his lesiure..
I thought it would be a valuable reference for others who would like to do a Flower-class..I will try to include as many links( gotta figure out how to do a link), and book references as I can ..
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 02:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Many thanks ...
Snowberry- I have reached a point where I need the plans for the actual ship, due to the differences in the Flowers... scuttle locations, and keel are in question right now. The hull is pretty much sanded to within an inch of its life..lol...I used my palm sander for most of it!!
Trillium- I will construct the 2 pound gun today and start clean up on the wheel house parts..
Im still sourcing out the brass posts to go on the ships.. Here in Canada they are like hens teeth..the American company I sourced asks for a minimum order of $100.00, and I dont think I need that many of the little devils!!..my current solution is to take cabinet knobs, break off the ceramic knob, and saw off the neck with a hacksaw ...seems to work...but a bit time consuming..

Hello Jim, If the brass posts you mention are for mounting the ship to a base you could use lamp finials. They are the fancy little item that screw onto the top of a lamp to hold the shade on. They are available in any hardware store. I drill a hole in the top and insert brass rod which goes into the model. The bottom of the finial is already threaded for a screw inserted up through the base. I hope I helped and look forward to following your build. Al
kamikaze
Visit this Community
Romania
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 - 12:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

thats the main reason I thought to start this thread, along with allowing the fellow Im doing Snowberry for to follow along at his lesiure..
I thought it would be a valuable reference for others who would like to do a Flower-class..I will try to include as many links( gotta figure out how to do a link), and book references as I can ..

A very good idea Jim. I would be very gratefull for this. Also, I was thinking maybe you could show us photos with the sets from Great Little Ships ( it's so much better when you can see what you buy ). From what I saw here, GLS sets are much, much better than Sirmar's. Good luck Jim, hope to see updates soon.
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 - 06:58 AM UTC
Yes I will do shots of the GLS sets ..I found a couple of places that call for a modellers full attention in dealing with the sets..we will be using:
Decks and fittings set
2pound QF gun with bandstand and twin lewis guns
20mm Oerlikon AA gun set
4pound main gun set
Type C bridge set
Funnel and mast set
propeller and rudder set
2" rocket flare ser
RCN 9" scuttles set
Lifebouy set
3'3" steel rope rail set
reversible wooden raft set
Splinter padding set
MV lens and Hecker&Goros figures
Plexiglass& cherrywood display case by Resin Shipyard

As I said, there are 3 other fellas who did some fine work on the ship so far, and I have yet to see the Hedgehog and the depth charge rails they have done ...will post pics with their permission of those sets ..

JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 - 07:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

--Karl

Karl, one of the books I have here has some great plans in it( not the ones I need for Snowberry unfortunately) ...and drawings of all the bridge types from A through F...
the book is: Canadas Flowers a history of the Corvettes of Canada, by Thomas G Lynch
Nimbus Publishing Ltd.,first edition published by International Graphics corp.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 - 12:24 PM UTC
Thanks for the tip, Jim!

--Karl
fandangoes
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 68 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 12:09 AM UTC
Hi think you may have just prompted me into trying to build the snowberry .
I have the revell one which has been collecting dust as was not really sure where to start . as i mainly model avf or aircraft ,but often stray into other types .
Also bought the book :- Anatomy of the ship .Flower class corvette.AGASSIZ.
By John McKay & John Harland .
Published by Conway Maritime Press ISBN 0 85177 975 1
Has lots of plans all diff scales and says in thebook .
Large scale copies of the drawings can be obtained from:-

John McKay,po box752, Fort Langley, British Columbia, Canada,V1M 2S2 .

or email :[email protected].

eek i got this 2004when was republished so not sure if details stiil current .mmm also got the model then .
is this a campaing?

Now i better clear my work area and make a start .things look very good by the way well done
John.

JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 03:24 AM UTC
John, until last year I had never built a ship, but focussed on Armour and aircraft also..
the place to start is at the beginning..look at the hull and begin sanding her down, if you so choose. removal of the keel is also recommended. It all depends how far you want to go..
I have seen the Agassiz book offered for sale. Does it have a profile of Snowberry port and Starboard?
I thank you for the tip, and have sent an email to Mr McKay ..
I am going full bore with the aftermarket stuff on Snowberry, but keeping it down to the guns and stanchions on Trillium, with most extras being scratchbuilt..
I await the cases now, as the brass posts have a screw inside them to secure the ship. The length of the screw is dependant upon the thickness of the wooden base. I cannot risk closing the hull and having the screws too short..
kamikaze
Visit this Community
Romania
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 03:55 AM UTC
Jim, the "Anatomy of the ship" has only one photo of Snowberry ( stb side), but has many drawings of Agassiz ( the whole book is focused on Agassiz ). I searched the net and from what I got I think that they were the same ( Agassiz and Snowberry ), speaking of the hull. As for the drawings, you can determine the numbers of the scuttles but I'm not that sure about the exact position as in the best drawing the ship is seen at an angle ( 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock, 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock). Maybe you can get a sample to see if it worths buying. Hope this helped. Cheers.

PS: How are you going to fix the problem with the decal for the gun shield ( for Snowberry ) ? Found somewhere to buy or home made?
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 03:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How are you going to fix the problem with the decal for the gun shield ( for Snowberry ) ? Found somewhere to buy or home made?

I have someone who is going to make them for me...
freem_1
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 11:47 AM UTC
Hi could well be a flotilla of flowers about in next couple of years
 _GOTOTOP