novorus
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 30 posts
Model Shipwrights: 28 posts
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 04:47 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

i am hoping you all can help me out.

I am about to start a diorama using the kit 'HMS Snowberry Flower Class courvette' by Revell 1.72 scale. This will be of her sinking, so not the Snowberry, but another in her class.

Two things I have to over come is the fact i have never done a ship, let alone used a water effect in a diorama, not taking in to account the kit I am using up has no hull..!!

So to that end, if you can advise me the best way to make the effect of water in this scale and what material to use or you thought as to how to make the hull of the ship I would be grateful.

Sometimes the ideas need to be back up with the knowledge, lets hop I don't let the side down.

CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 10:39 AM UTC
Hi James!

If you are going to reproduce the scene in the photos, I recommend using blue-tinted (but not opaque) plexiglass as a base since in 1:72 there will be some transparency.

My "Greyhound & the Flea" dio from last December used this technique and I was pleased with the suggestion of depth. To attain this, I took the colored plex and simply painted on acrylic gel medium on top which dried clear. The original tint of the plexiglass shone thru and was diffused by the ripple effect of the gel. To further darken the tint effect, I added a sheet of black matte board underneath to emphasize depth.

As the ship settles, the superstructure will disturb the water, permitting you to hide the lack of a hull or understructure with colored green and white paint effects.

I think you will find the approach fascinating.

Good luck!

--Karl
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 02:14 PM UTC
James, welcome aboard. That should be an interesting project.
Looking forward to your progress.

Look at Karl's feature, his water was really nice. Also, I have a feature on making water. It will probably be live later this week. I have been impressed with the process in this feature.

novorus
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 06:19 AM UTC
Karl and Jim,

thank you for your advice and good wishes.

karl to be honest, the picture is just a guide, i would prefer to make the scence a little more active. The sea being a little more rough and maybe under attack.

Jim I am looking through the forums trying to find pictures of other work to give me the confidence.

I have a full kit as well as this one i wish to use up. I thought today maybe away to make another hull would be to cut some balsa wood into sections and make it wet and then try and mould the balsa wood around the hull. When dry it should be enough to give me the form I need for the sinking courvette. Would do you guy think?

More research maybe requires
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 10:19 AM UTC
I've always had great success with paintable latex caulking.
novorus
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 11:20 AM UTC
Kenny,Ok, this is interesting, how would you use that?

Sound like a dum question now this is for the water effect right, only I now on my 19th hour today and eyes feeling a little tired.....lol
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Model Shipwrights: 204 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 03:45 AM UTC
Hey James, Nice dio idea. How about using your other hull for demensions and angles, and build up the hull that will show out of plastic card with some plastruct I-beams for strenghth. This would allow for plate patterns and other details to show. No need to hull the whole thing, just what would be above the water.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 04:44 AM UTC
That is an ambitious project James, you are a brave man !
This will be thread to follow
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 06:09 AM UTC
I think you might try a combnation of things to buld a partial hull. A little sheet styrene (plastic card) and hobby putty would be the way I'ld do it. The latex caulking would be used to simulate rough/choppy water next to the hull
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 10:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Kenny, okay, this is interesting, how would you use that?

Sound like a dumb question now this is for the water effect right, only I now on my 19th hour today and eyes feeling a little tired.....lol

Like this...
Making water from caulk
novorus
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 05:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Kenny, okay, this is interesting, how would you use that?

Sound like a dumb question now this is for the water effect right, only I now on my 19th hour today and eyes feeling a little tired.....lol

Like this...
Making water from caulk

Thanks this could well be very helpful
novorus
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 08:53 AM UTC
Bob and Steve,
I am trying different idea's, I really want to recreate the plating and as much detail as possible.
Plastic card i think will be the way too, but if I am honest I have never scratch build anything other than a house !!! I very nervous about it
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Model Shipwrights: 204 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 02:16 PM UTC
Hey James, got to get your feet wet sometime, no pun intended. Try a small piece first to get the handle of it and work your way on from there. Who knows, you may turn out to be a natural. Once you start scratch building there's no end to what you can accomplish. Just look through the postings here and on model shipwrights, you'll find a wealth of building knowlage and most modelers will take the time to answer your questions or give advice. Good luck with your project and hope to see some pics as you go along.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 05:20 AM UTC
It will be a few extra days before I get the new feature on making water up. But, this method is rather different.

Ken's method of caulk is great, easy, and forgiving.

novorus
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 01:19 AM UTC
Bob, your right of coarse. i think what is stopping me starting is the fact i still not worked out the angle and just how much hull i need to make.
I am hoping to try something over the next few days but I have some refurb work in the home about to start so that won't help lol.
but thanks for your support and advice.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 07:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... i think what is stopping me starting is the fact i still not worked out the angle and just how much hull i need to make...

Hi James!

If you use a diorama base that's easy to cut into (I use Gatorboard--it's a very stiff type of foam core), you can build a little more hull than would be visible above the surface and simply embed the model in a hole cut in the base. This will immensely simplify the construction of both the hull and superstructure.

Also, I usually find that many adjustments are needed to get the right look of a sinking vessel, so having the extra amount of ship model on hand is a project saver.

--Karl

--Karl
novorus
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 12:56 PM UTC
[Also, I usually find that many adjustments are needed to get the right look of a sinking vessel, so having the extra amount of ship model on hand is a project saver.

--Karl [/quote]

Karl, this is wise words and I am sure your right. What i have started is cutting out some foam to be the super structure and and then cut out some plastic card to make up the hull plates.....will post some pictures soon. Not sure if it is looking right...
novorus
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 09:27 AM UTC
Well guys things are going very slowly on this project, although i have start the plastic card idea.
Firstly cut plate by plate and then sticking them back together! The next idea i will try is to mark out the plating on big piece and then try a multi tool to engrave the plating on to it.
I hope to post a few pictures soon, but the office/model room is some what busy as we have just refitted the kitchen....

If you guys have any more thoughts or ideas please post, one thing I have choosen is that the sea will be more rough then in the picture. (Just to make it a little more interesting..hehehe)...
novorus
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 12:02 AM UTC
Hi guys,

it's a time now since i last added anything on this subject. i have trying different methods and seem to not be to happy with them. However the idea has now moved on a little more.
I contacted Revell and they have given me enought spare parts to add in a sinking U boat.......
The piece will bear the name of 'An eye for an eye', I have made a hull for the corvette by using foam and cutting out each hull plate. ( pictures to follow). It is still work in process and when I get them on here please do give me feed back it will help me greatly.
Life has been real busy so not had a chance to get at things back I finally feel enough process to show some pictures.
They should be up loaded today.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 08:30 AM UTC
This should be an exciting scene--I have plans for something wild between a Type VII and a Loch-class frigate as well.

Carry on!

--Karl
novorus
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 10:55 AM UTC
Guys I can't believe it was so long ago I last posted on this site, for that I am so sorry..

The good news is I have now made a start and Revell came up trumps with them supplying me with a so much.

I will be post pictures here soon with a better update. I have been away but not forgotten I hope.
novorus
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 06:32 AM UTC
Well here is the latest update, the Port side nearly complete but I must say the pin vice approach is slow and my hands are so tried.....
The pin vice is slow drilling, but with money that is not here what choice. Two days work and over half way now. :blink: :blink: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Removed by original poster on 10/24/13 - 18:37:56 (GMT).
novorus
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 06:39 AM UTC

Removed by original poster on 10/26/13 - 23:29:19 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP