Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
Revell's 1/350 Bismarck with Extras....
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 08:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think this is completely barking mad - but what a GREAT display model this will make if the beginning is anything to go by. Question, with so many fine pieces of etch in prime locations, how will you tackle the camo paint work without over-loading the etch or if masking, possibly damage it ?

The Bismarck had four different camo schemes in its short life, one of them with stripes on the hull but none on the superstructure. That is the one I am doing. SO I don't have to worry Alec. but I have done others with camo all over and all you do is use a brush and paint carefully..

No piccies as there is something wrong with the gallery at the moment.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 - 06:23 PM UTC
Hi Everyone.
Sorry it has taken a while but I went away on a cruise for a week and became another year older yesterday, the big 50...
But enough drivel, here are some shots of the PE on the superstructure sides..

Then we have some of the extra gun barrels, here is a comparison between brass and plastic for the 37mm AA guns.

Then a full PE replacement bridge of some-sort along with the plastic one..

That is enough for now. I have progressed heaps over these photos and will get them posted asap.
Thanks for looking!!

warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2012 - 07:13 PM UTC
Hello again.
I got the wooden part attached to the main deck today. Needed to make a few strategic cuts due to the PE, but I think it came out fine and dandy!
But first up some more PE on one of the upper decks..

And then the wood... Bow

Midships

Stern

That is it for the moment, Next up I need to detail around the vents and ducts surrounding the turrets, something I couldn't do before applying the wood deck
Thanks for looking!
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2012 - 09:12 PM UTC
Whoa Warren! That's a lot of PE!! I admire your perseverence with PE...

Great project, though DKM is not my cup ot tea I'll be visiting once in a while!

Cheers!
Stefan
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 08:47 PM UTC
Hi Stefan and thanks for looking in.
This is by far the biggest project I have attempted so far and I don't think you could get much more PE on the model than is there now..
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2012 - 03:56 AM UTC
Cracking stuff with the PE Warren, impressive looking build, following with much interest.

Si
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 - 11:11 AM UTC
Beautiful job so far Warren. Look forward to seeing you at QMHE in September.....Cheers mark
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 11:28 AM UTC
I will do my best to get it finished in time Mark. Still a long way to go, but this EKKA day off should help!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2012 - 09:29 PM UTC
Hi Everyone.
I am still slogging away at the Bismarck, but have been held up by holidays and a few unexpected setbacks (flu 2 times etc)...
But enough whining... I will take some photos tomorrow and post them then. It has become a bit of a slog although the light is on at the end of the tunnel. I am starting to worry whether the Tamiya Masking Tape I am using to protect the hull may be on for too long before I finish this one... May have some respraying coming up... gulp!!
'TIl tomorrow.
Boris1991
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 307 posts
Model Shipwrights: 27 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 02:13 AM UTC
wow, what a fantastic build is this, must be the most aftermarket products possible in one build.
The set from LionRoar is amazing.
You are building it along nicely, curious about the painting pictures.

good luck!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 04:46 PM UTC
Back again.
Here are a few photos as promised.

A couple of the boat davits and storage area on the aircraft hanger. Second one is a vertical view...

Hmm,, flash washes out lots of detail, but a few washes should fix that!

And a few more general views. Please don't forget that much of the PE has to be tweaked after it is installed due to me being a clumsy idiot and bending stuff.
Will be going a bit slow for a while as there seems to be no Gunze Acrylic H306 for sale anywhere in the known universe at the moment. Anyone know where I can get some??
Thanks for dropping by.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 - 03:13 AM UTC
Outstanding work Warren.
dman57
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Model Shipwrights: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 03:04 AM UTC
I hope you are having better luck with the Lion Roar PE than I am. I have found frets mismarked and parts that do not exist in set. The instructions are hard to follow. I have been combining the Eduard PE set with the Lion Roar set and it is a much more detailed build. I am building the Bismarck in the configuration he was in right after sinking the Hood and before it got the rudder jammed, (yellow turret tops and a grey backround swastika on the main deck). That is the way the client wanted it, so I am up for the challenge. I am about 55% complete.
Best Wishes on your build
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 04:10 PM UTC
Hello Derek.
If you look hard enough you will find all those parts. You shouldn't have to I know, and for what you pay for it LionRoar should be keel-hauled for their slackness.
Keep at it mate.
Kenny, thanks for the encouragement.
Just have to bide my time and do bits that only need air-brushing as the remaining Gunze 306 I have is too thin to brush now.
Waiting waiting...
Cheers

PS, I was just doing a bit more and G37 and G36 are actually J37 and J38, If I remember rightly that is fairly common. I will try and pass on any other corrections I find. Send me any other queries you have and I will see if I remember.
redalb2253
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 07:23 AM UTC
Looks great Warren I've had to put my Tirpitz on hold I'm waiting for the Trumpy 1/200 Bismarck to get here.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 01:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks great Warren I've had to put my Tirpitz on hold I'm waiting for the Trumpy 1/200 Bismarck to get here.

Thanks Steve. I have a horrible feeling the Tirpitz is going to be in dry dock for a long time..

Oh well, enough of that.. I realised yesterday that I am much closer to finishing this marathon (for me) build than I thought..
Here are some more piccies for you..

Aft bridge area..

And again...

Catapaults in place..

And another view of the aft bridge and hangers.
Will be interesting to see how much I get done this weekend now I am finally getting over this cold I have had for weeks now.
Thanks for looking in.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 12:47 AM UTC
Great work Warren, really impressive ammounts of etch,and the wood deck looks excellent too

admirrable patience and skill

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 03:12 PM UTC
Thanks for that Simon.

Well, I have finally finished with the vast majority of the Lion Roar etch and started on the railings when I realised that with very few of the railings being custom made for the various locations the fixed width stanchions etc would not allow you to make accurate railings for most of the positions. You need stanchions in spots where there is just railing... Luckily I have the Eduard Set that has all the custom railing you could want/need.

So, in conclusion, the Lion Roar set, even though it is awesome for all the vents and potholes etc it is basically useless for 99% of the railings, which I consider to be one of the most distinctive parts of a ship. My advice is, therefore, that you need the Lion Roar AND Eduard sets if you want a Super Detailed Bismarck ... and wait for the Lion Roar kit to be half-price like I did...

I also noticed that the set has been re-released just recently.
ArthurSC
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
Model Shipwrights: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2012 - 03:07 AM UTC
Sweet thanks for posting this. I liked the Eduard set over LR for the boat davits, deck details around the 105MM guns, hand rails and depth charge racks. As far as I know Eduard is the only one that has depth charge racks in the set. WEM has the depth charge end caps. Pontos will issue a new deck next month, but I'm undesided on getting that for my kit.
How do you feel about the wood deck you used?
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2012 - 07:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sweet thanks for posting this. I liked the Eduard set over LR for the boat davits, deck details around the 105MM guns, hand rails and depth charge racks. As far as I know Eduard is the only one that has depth charge racks in the set. WEM has the depth charge end caps. Pontos will issue a new deck next month, but I'm undesided on getting that for my kit.
How do you feel about the wood deck you used?

Hi there Arthur.
It is good but use of the PE makes fitting much more difficult as you have to cut out lots of spots to fit around the PE.
The big advantage of the LR set are all the vents and portholes you get, plus you get the PE gun barrels, well for most of them anyway, but some of the resin is just not worth it. The LR set also has much finer etching for many parts, and many parts that are not even available with the other sets. But as I said the rails are no good in my opinion. And their instructions have many many mistakes in them.... but oh those vents and portholes..
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 11:28 AM UTC
Hi Everyone.
A few more overall views of the almost finished Big B....

As you can see I have all the superstructure railings on now and will be starting in the railings around the edge of the deck sometime today.
I finally found somewhere that had some acrylic Gunze 306 and I ordered four bottles to be safe..
Thanks for looking!
Until next time..
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 04:12 AM UTC
Looking great Warren, all that etch really adds lifts the model into another league.

Following with much interest.

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 01:00 PM UTC
Happy happy joy joy... I went to the QMHE this morning and guess what I found there... give up?? Gunze 306 Acrylic!!! Yayy!!! Means I can get back to the non spraying painting now.. The four I ordered from overseas will still get used though.. I have two Tirpitzs, 2 Graf Spees a Scharnhorst, an Admiral Hipper and lts of Z Classes to build but at least I won't have to worry as much about superstructure paint now!!

Oh, and did you enjoy the show Surfsup? PM me for my mobile number etc.

Cheers
Warren 'PE Man' Inman
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 11:11 AM UTC
She is looking great Warren. I did enjoy the show and was lucky enough to get a Gold, Silver and a Bronze so very happy......Cheers mark
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 08:22 PM UTC
Well done that man! What did you get what for?