_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
Revell's 1/350 Bismarck with Extras....
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 10:50 PM UTC
The Akagi got Gold, the Takao took out Silver and the Fletcher took out Bronze. It would be great to see some of your work on the Tables next Year.....Cheers mark
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 09:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Akagi got Gold, the Takao took out Silver and the Fletcher took out Bronze. It would be great to see some of your work on the Tables next Year.....Cheers mark

LOL... I would have had a few there this year if I had realised it was on last weekend..

Let's see, I have the USS North Carolina, USS Gambier Bay, USS Buchanan, IJN Musashi and the Bismarck will be finished in a few days, all 1/350.. and a Queen Mary 2 in 1/400 which will be a little different too what I saw there the other day. Plus whatever I can finish in the next 12 months. Is that enough??

warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 01:51 PM UTC
Greetings Everyone.

Why is that no matter how often I subscribe to this Topic I never get emails re updates to it??

Anyway, the Big B build is slowly but surely coming to an end and I thought I would post some piccies of the myriad of small bits left to go.

Here are some radars and gun turrets.

Here is the squadron of ship's boats. Many different sorts all awaiting there final colour scheme when I find out what that is going to be..

Then we have the main turrets and secondary armament. These too require there final colour coat of Dark Grey for the roofs of them.

Then we have gun directors, mine sweeping thingies (forgot their name) accommodation ladders and there supports.

Then there is a mixed lot including the small boat davits that go on the sides of the deck.

While I was building the accommodation ladder supports I came up with an idea that may help PE newbies,,

Here are the two items that have to be joined. Being a tad shaky in the hands lately I had to get a method that stopped everything moving so the glue could set.

The pulleys, chans etc are only a fraction of a mm thick and while pondering I remembered that CA glue doesn't stick to Tamiya Tape very well, and I thought to myself, "Self, lay the pieces on some Tamiya tape and apply the glue." WHich I did then touched some accelerator to it. seconds later I sliced the tape away from the rest of it and slowly removed the parts from the tape, et voila they stuck together with no problem!!

So my gentle readers, next time you want to glue together some PE without wanting to worry abput the parts sticking to the surface just use some Tamiya tape to place the assembly on and all should be well...

I also came up with another idea as I am basically a lazy person, Instead of taking the pipettes off the various CA glues and putting the lids back on every time you finish with them just wrap some Tamiya tape around the tip and pinch it together to seal them off from the air... no more blocked pipette applicators...

Thanks for looking
Warren
:-H
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 04:46 PM UTC
Hi All.
The main turrets just got a Windex bath as the Dark Grey I applied by hand wasn't staying as flat as it should. A few of the ladders got bent and I re-applied the railings around the tops.
Still not sure if I will paint Anton turret's roof red as I don't really believe they would have painted the rest of the ship dull grey colours, including the banners at the front and rear, and then gone nad painted the top of one turret bright red.. maybe in waters where they had total air superiority at the time or weren't expecting attacks from the air, like the Baltic, but not when you are in the North Atlantic.
Anyway, she is almost finished. Still not sure how to do the rigging, by that I mean what material.. most is way too thick and I think it looks stupid... No offence meant to anyone...
Cheers till later.
Warren
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 09:20 PM UTC
Great work Warren, the boats really come to life. like the method for holding thinks steady whilst you glue.

Following with much interest

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 04:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great work Warren, the boats really come to life. like the method for holding thinks steady whilst you glue.

Following with much interest

Si

Thanks for that Simon.

Well, as usual the end has come suddenly. All that is left is to finish the stand and glue the props on, oh and I almost forgot the ships bell.

The Tamiya tape came off the painted hull no problems and left no marks I could see. I used invisible mending thread (polyester) painted with an XF-56 paint pen for the rigging as it is nice and fine.

Will take some photos later and might even make it a feature if I am lucky enough.

More soon.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 05:49 PM UTC
OK.. Here is the finished article (even the ships bell!) for your perusal. Stand is still drying as I used auto paint on it and laquer takes a while to dry..

Hmmm.. I have a bit of touching up to do here and there and a bit of weathering (maybe) but there you have it... I started in May and have basically finished now, the longest it has ever taken me to build a model! And there are more complicated ones in the stash.. gulp!!

Thanks for looking
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 09:02 PM UTC
Awesome work Warren! Wish i'd followed this one from the beginning!

You've inspired me to crack on with some of my stash!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 08:59 AM UTC
Thanks Russell.
Glad something good came out of this blog!
I have a fair bit of touching up to do now I have a look at the piccies taken with the macro lens... maybe I won't look so closely anymore..
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Model Shipwrights: 350 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 10:05 AM UTC
Showoff
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 08:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

LOL... I would have had a few there this year if I had realised it was on last weekend..

Let's see, I have the USS North Carolina, USS Gambier Bay, USS Buchanan, IJN Musashi and the Bismarck will be finished in a few days, all 1/350.. and a Queen Mary 2 in 1/400 which will be a little different too what I saw there the other day. Plus whatever I can finish in the next 12 months. Is that enough??

Looks like you have enough Entries to last a Decade Warren. Look forward to seeing you on the Tables next Year.....Cheers mark
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 08:33 PM UTC
You have done a great job in the Bismarck also Warren.....Congrats and cheers Mark
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 - 08:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Showoff

What he said.

Beautiful work Warren.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 - 05:17 PM UTC
Thanks Jeremy, Mark and Kenny.
I appreciate that coming from you experts.
And your glue comes in handy all the time Kenny, but I am down to my last little bit in the bottle so I will have to order some soon. Any advise on applicators? I just use a satay stick but I am sure there must be a better way..
Thanks again guys
Cheers
Warren
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 07:50 AM UTC
Impressive job Warren.

How many peices of etch went into it?

Have enjoyed following very much,

Si
Mgunns
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 - 02:43 AM UTC
Then we have gu.......... mine sweeping thingies (forgot their name) accommodation ladders and there supports.
Hi Warren:

They are called "Paravanes". I had the Minicraft version of this kit. Yours is looking outstanding. Lots of PE has been made since I did mine over 18 years ago, and suffered a similar fate. I may pop for this one of these days, until that time, I will pay attention to yours.

R/S

Mark
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 07:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Impressive job Warren.

How many peices of etch went into it?

Have enjoyed following very much,

Si

Hi Simon.

There were 16 frets of PE went into her. I will try and count them today if I get a chance.

Regards
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hi Mark.

I just couldn't remember the name off the top of my head. If you didn't use so much PE it would be a relatively quick build. And even without the PE it would be pretty well detailed, but the railings are too thick for my liking.. but at least Revell included them.

Cheers
Warren

surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 09:18 AM UTC
Warren if you check the Second Last Image there seems to be an A/A Mount missing. Did it fall off when you were finished.....?????
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 785 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 01:55 PM UTC
Outstanding detials great build.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 08:54 PM UTC
You are right.. Will have to have a look for it! ... Ah wait a second.. now I remember.. That 37mm mount got damaged and I didn't have PE for it, so I have to wait until I find the mounts elsewhere.. Hopefully before the QMHE next year!

And thanks for that Anthony.

Cheers
Warren
 _GOTOTOP