_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
ICM 1/350 SMS Markgraf with the lot
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 09:21 AM UTC
Off to a very nice start as usual Warren.....Cheers mark
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 - 04:19 AM UTC
Hello everyone.
Time for a quick update on the SMS Markgraf.
She is coming together pretty well with only a few hiccups with fit etc, one of them self inflicted so I won't blame ICM for the problems. In fact I am pretty impressed with how good the kit is for the tiny price you pay for it.

Here is the aft superstructure before its installation on the hull. Louvres were a bit of a pain. I ended up losing a few and having to make some from plastic card.

And here it is almost finished except for the railings and the mast. Speaking of the masts I am not sure if it is just my kit or not but I had trouble removing the long thin parts from the sprues. No matter how careful I was they seemed to break. I ended up having to make various parts out of brass rod as you can see in the following photo of the forward superstructure..

The WEM PE set I got for this kit is not very comprehensive. For example it is missing many of the ladders that I am sourcing from the LionRoar Bismarck set. Lots of spares there. I have also skipped using some of the WEM PE parts as they don't seem to be an improvement on the kit parts. But what I have used has been good.

Here is a picture of the almost complete forward superstructure. I realised yesterday that the deck area on the superstructure are a different colour to those elsewhere (note to self, "Self, study the instructions more"). The instruction stated Model Master 1785 was the colour. I had this in my collection but when I opened it it had turned into a very thick jelly like substance. Oh well, into the bin. I didn't really think that the bright rust colour was correct anyway so I looked up the colour listed for the SMS Emden in the Revell kit and it was Revell 83. I also looked up a colour comparison chart and it listed Gunze 33 Russet Red as a possible alternate.
I went to my LHS and the three colours couldn't have been more different. I thought the too-red Gunze colour may dry a different shade.. it didn't. Even though I don't use enamels very often, and hardly ever buy a Revell paint, in this case I went with it as it seems a more credible colour than bright rust or russet red.
The ladder on the side of the funnel was sourced from my Bismarck set.
Not too far to go now. There is not even the hint of a locating hole for the rear anchor so I drilled a hole at an angle through the hull and attached it there.
I had it sitting there on its temporary dry-dock base and thought something was missing... I haven't drilled out or painted any port-holes until now and thought I might see if it makes a difference. SO I mixed up some semi-gloss black, water and a touch of dish-washing liquid and proceeded to put a tiny dab of paint in all the port-holes. Will see what the effect is like when it is finished. Here is the forward part of the hull with said painted port-holes.

Anyway, that's it for now. Lots of time for models when one is unemployed.. :-)
As Monty Python once said, always look on the bright side of life..
Cheers

RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 - 07:31 AM UTC
Very tidy work Warren, The old girl is really coming to life.

Continueing to follow with much interest.

Si
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 - 02:02 PM UTC
Looking good Warren

with respect to the thin plastic parts supplied (yard arms, masts etc) I always try to replace the plastic kit parts with brass rod as the plastic just doesn't compare strength wise. I find this comes in especially handy when rigging up a near completed ship with my butter fingers
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 - 02:11 PM UTC
Thanks Simon.

Butter fingers is a good description Russell..
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 - 09:50 PM UTC
Nicely done so far Warren. For my Anti Fouling Red on German Warships, I use Gunze German Red if you can get it. It has a slight Orange tinge to it and matches the colour for German Vessels very well.....Cheers Mark
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2012 - 05:41 AM UTC
What number is it Mark? I used a Gunze colour on this one. It could have been 47 but I can't remember now (old age),

That is another thing I forgot, the rudders don't have any place to put them so I did my best guess but one of them keeps getting knocked off. I got sick of it and put a small length of brass rod in a hole I drilled in it. I will drill a corresponding hole in the hull and hopefully it will stay there this time.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 - 10:17 AM UTC
Hi Everyone.
Well I have gotten the turrets, anchor chain on and have painted and assembled all the ship's boats and their cradles but I have a question for you all... The instructions indicate that a number of the boats have anti-fouling applied, but why would you bother with anti-fouling when the boats are out of the water all the time? Seems a bit stupid to me so I have not bothered.
Nothing broke this time..
But I can't find some of the PE items called out in the WEM PE instructions... There are some hand rails that go on the back of a couple of the ship's boats but I haven't been able to find them. Any help would be appreciated in finding them.
More news as it comes to hand!

RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 07:11 AM UTC
Hi Warren,

Not sure about anti fouling, but I have photographic evidence of ships boats, particularly those such as Admiral's barges / Captian's gig's / other larger motor launches with the upper & lower hulls different colours.

Sorry I cannot be more help, but we are still undergoing ta major refit at home, and the bulk of my library is in storage.

Si

Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 07:23 AM UTC
Lots of evidence of anti-fouling on launches. On station the ships tenders and launches stayed in the water for long periods.
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 08:22 AM UTC
Looks like my experience of boats wasn't wide enough... Oh well. I have all the boats in there brackets now so I will see what I can do...

Started the railings last night and these old ships are great as there are hardly any railings compared to the more modern stuff. Luckily as there are no custom made railings in the WEM set.

Piccies later.
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 - 09:07 PM UTC
Sorry I have not gotten back to you earlier Warren. For German Antifouling I use Gunze H414.....Cheers Mark
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 - 09:17 PM UTC
The end draws nigh....
Here are a few piccies of the almost finished Markgraf...
The first railing is attached!!

And here is the drooping type of chain railing. Very finely etched.

And here are some overall shots in no particular order..

Only 1 or 20 touchups to do, the rear mast to attach, and lots more touchups and he will be finished..
More news as it comes to hand.
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 - 11:01 PM UTC
Looks like you have done a very nice job on her once again Warren.....Cheers mark
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2012 - 04:54 PM UTC
And just to prove she is finished, her she is..

I really need a better lens for my SLR camera to take better photos...
Thanks for looking.
Warren
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2012 - 10:56 PM UTC
Very nice work there Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 - 04:35 AM UTC
Thanks Russell..
I will try and take some more photos and post them today.
Cheers
Warren
And it is still today and here are dome more photos in no particular order..

The front superstructure, and one of the ladders has disappeared...

The rear superstructure.

Front turrets..

The reason I included this poto is I am going to give the skylights in the background a wash and see how they come up.

So, she is not finished just yet, but all that is needed is some washes, and to find that pesky ladder!
That's all folks.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 - 08:08 PM UTC
A beautiful build Warren,
still needs weathering/washing and some rigging but the total effect is magnificent.
Julian

P.s. if you can't find the ladder drop me a line, I might have a spare available depending on the length of course.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 - 09:55 PM UTC
Great stuff Warren. looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 07:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A beautiful build Warren,
still needs weathering/washing and some rigging but the total effect is magnificent.
Julian

P.s. if you can't find the ladder drop me a line, I might have a spare available depending on the length of course.

Thanks Julian.
I have heaps left over from the Bismarck and I am sure there was a spare or two on the WEM set. I am not 100% convinced the rigging in 1/350 scale is anywhere near the proper dimensions, but will do a little no matter what. I have weathered lots of tanks and I suppose it will be the same with a ship so I will see how it goes..
Thanks again mate
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 08:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great stuff Warren. looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Si

Thanks Simon.
Will get at it today hopefully.

I started the SMS Emden and got as far as the first steps relating to the guns where I have stopped for the moment until my brass barrels arrive from the UK.
Then I also started the Trumpeter 1/350 USS San Francisco 1942 and have the hull top and bottom in place and the prop shafts ready for painting of the hull. Everything is in place for this one so I will go at it until the Emden barrels arrive.

Thanks for looking

Cheers
Warren
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 12:01 AM UTC
You have done a lovely job on her Warren. You should be very happy with the Results.....Cheers mark
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 06:42 AM UTC
Thanks Mark. How many entries are you allowed at QMHE??

I started some weathering but found that it is too dangerous with the wooden deck in place. Wood soaks up any little excess and I don't like the results. But I did some rigging and went to use the WW1 German Navy Ensign in the kit but it fell to bits.. Does anyone know where I can get one of these?

Thanks in advance
Warren
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 08:47 AM UTC
Hi Warren. You are allowed as many Entries as you want. QMHE won't be til Sept next Year though. For the Flags you could try Creative Models Australia. They usually stock Items like that.....Cheers mark
 _GOTOTOP