_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
ICM 1/350 SMS Markgraf with the lot
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 07:05 PM UTC
Now, thanks to Wikipedia, a brief introduction to those who do not know very much about these WW1 battleships (like me..)

SMS Markgraf was the third battleship of the four-ship König class. She served in the German Imperial Navy during World War I. The battleship was laid down in November 1911 and launched on 4 June 1913. She was formally commissioned into the Imperial Navy on 1 October 1914, just over two months after the outbreak of war in Europe. Markgraf was armed with ten 30.5-centimeter (12.0 in) guns in five twin turrets and could steam at a top speed of 21 knots (39 km/h; 24 mph). Markgraf was named in honor of the royal family of Baden. The name Markgraf is a rank of German nobility and is equivalent to the English Marcher Lord, or Marquess.

Along with her three sister ships, König, Grosser Kurfürst, and Kronprinz, Markgraf took part in most of the fleet actions during the war, including the Battle of Jutland on 31 May and 1 June 1916. At Jutland, Markgraf was the third ship in the German line and heavily engaged by the opposing British Grand Fleet; she sustained five large-caliber hits and her crew suffered 23 casualties. Markgraf also participated in Operation Albion, the conquest of the Gulf of Riga, in late 1917. The ship was damaged by a mine while en route to Germany following the successful conclusion of the operation.

After Germany's defeat in the war and the signing of the Armistice in November 1918, Markgraf and most of the capital ships of the High Seas Fleet were interned by the Royal Navy in Scapa Flow. The ships were disarmed and reduced to skeleton crews while the Allied powers negotiated the final version of the Treaty of Versailles. On 21 June 1919, days before the treaty was signed, the commander of the interned fleet, Rear Admiral Ludwig von Reuter, ordered the fleet to be scuttled to ensure that the British would not be able to seize the ships. Unlike most of the scuttled ships, Markgraf was never raised for scrapping; the wreck is still sitting on the bottom of the bay.

And here is the box for the kit..

Then we have an overall view of all the items I will be using to build the ship including a WEM PE set, Artwox wooden deck and Brass Barrels from RB.

I thought I may be able to save a little money and try these second quality PE from WEM. If there turns out to be too much damage I will just get a first quality one I suppose. I will report back on any problems I find.

Then we have the lovely Artwox wooden deck that looks great just sitting in its wrapping. I used an Artwox deck on my Musashi and was impressed with that one as well.

And the barrels from RB.

The molding looks pretty good at first glance. Instructions are nice and clear and there appears to be little flash.

Let the fun begin!!

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 07:25 PM UTC
Hi Warren, I built the Markgraf some years ago, and overall its a nice an well made kit. The only real trouble is the fit between the upper deck and the wall parts below - its can be a troublesome spot.

Cheers/Jan
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 08:20 PM UTC
Hi Jan.
Thanks for dropping by!
I will keep my eyes open and try and make sure of the fit before doing much construction.
Cheers
Warren
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 08:26 PM UTC
I have the Koenig at home so will watch this one with interest Warren.....Cheers mark
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 - 09:04 PM UTC
Well here we go, the sprues have had their first parts removed...
But first up here is the modelling bench after a tidy up,

The cork board is for pinning sprue diagrams too that I photocopy, and I put pins holding bulldog clips on the board to hold instructions. I keep all my instructions and I have them going back to the 1960s, including the first Airfix plane I ever made, a Series one F4U-1 Corsair.. I was six at the time.. I also keep used masking tape that always seem to come in handy later.
Next we have the main paint stand,

I also have a few draws full on the left hand side of the desk. I still find I need to buy colours every-so-often.
You know how I said the parts were fairly flash free, I hadn't seen the main turrets..

Easy to remove though.
And here are the lovely RB barrels,

They came with replacement brass parts for inside the turret so there was no having to drill locating holes in the barrel holders, which I always seem to stuff up..
Next I think I have a perfect illustration on how a little PE can really jazz up a plain model. Here is the front of the main turret with the plastic ladder representation moulded on.

I found that I had a heap of PE ladders left over from the Bismarck which just happened to be the right width for these turret ladders. After removing the ladders with a file I sanded them smooth with the foam-backed files that seem to work so well.

Sorry it is a bit blurry but I got a little close to the subject.. oh well..
After trimming the ladders to length I bent up the ladder supports and glued them on the turrets using Gator Glue with a little CA put on later for strength.

And there you have the very simple PE add-on that makes the ladders look far more realistic.

Last but not least one of the Hobby Shops had these on special for about $15 so I thought I would get one as I had no IJN Destroyers in the stash.

It is branded as 'Mono Chrome' but on opening the box it is definitely a rebranded Trumpeter kit, but I have never seen this one under the Trumpter name anywhere. Moulding and detail seem fantastic. Has anyone seen any reviews on this one?

Thanks for looking.
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 - 09:24 PM UTC
Looks like you are off and building again my Friend. And no I have never seen this Kit under the TRumpy Name. It's a new one on me too.....Cheers mark
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 07:22 AM UTC
I had a closer look at the Mono Chrome kit and the detailing is some of the finest I have ever seen in a 1/350 plastic kit. Originally it was over $80 each but I got mine on special for about $15 which makes it a real bargain. Only problem I have found so far is that there are no painting instructions and I have not found a PE set available for the 1/350 version as yet. Ordered the barrels from Luckymodel the other night and will hopefully have some left over railings etc from the other IJN ships I have in the stash.
I finally found the DX version of the Fujimi IJN Ise the other week and it arrived yesterday. Can't wait to build that one as well.
But I am off to Bathurst to watch the great race next week so no updates for a while.
Cheers everyone!
Removed by original poster on 09/26/12 - 22:11:25 (GMT).
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 10:13 AM UTC
Great to see you start another build so soon Warren!

I've always wanted to build one of those ICM kits myself so will watch this one with interest. Who knows? I may even pluck up the courage to start my own build log one of these days!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 11:18 AM UTC
Go for it Russell!
I found that the barrel holders with the set had pins that were too long and you could not place the barrel assemblies in the turrets due to interference between the holder's pins. So I glued them together and took them outside to the grinder and ground off most of the pin length. They fit now..
Next is painting the barrels then I will assemble the turrets, all 5 of them..
Cheers
Warren
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 10:40 AM UTC
Hello Warren,
I have all 4 of the ships. The only thing holding me back is finding not only the main barrels but the secondary guns also. Do you know if they sell all of the gun sets? and where?
Thanks,
Bruce
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 04:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Warren,
I have all 4 of the ships. The only thing holding me back is finding not only the main barrels but the secondary guns also. Do you know if they sell all of the gun sets? and where?
Thanks,
Bruce

Hi there Bruce.

Sorry but I don't think they make a full barrel set, just the main 12 inch guns. But I am sure you could possibly cobble together some 15 cm and 8.8cm barrels from other sets... maybe...

Cheers
Warren
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 07:42 AM UTC
Hi Warren,

Looks liek the start of anothe facinating build, will be watching with much interest.

Si
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 09:53 AM UTC
I've got the Kronprinz with the WEM set and MK1 deck....no metal tubes......yet.....lol interested to see how this build goes
grayghost666
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 01:42 PM UTC
Hello Warren,
Thanks for the info. I do know of a Gentleman that does special orders for ship guns, But they are 5 Euros each. I was hoping for a cheaper set. Oh well I will send in my order for the guns.
When I get around to building my 4 , I am going to place them in a spread formation with a few cruisers and destroyers around them. I figure it will be about 20' by 36' or so.
I will be watching you build will interest,
Again, Thanks for the info,
Cheers,
Bruce
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 06:55 PM UTC
So that is four battleship at at least 2 months each, then you need to source the cruisers and destroyers... Will be interesting to watch..

I am away from home at the moment so no updates for a while.
grayghost666
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 08:58 PM UTC
Hello Warren,
I am slow. That is 4 months per BB. I have the Cruisers and DD's. I also sent an E-Mail about the guns and the price is now 10 Euros each and I will need them for the small ships also.
That is why I have been putting this project off. I am hoping it will become to much money for me to justify.
Cheers,
Bruce
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 09:23 PM UTC
I have a funny feeling the guns will be way too expensive... good luck though..
lane
Visit this Community
Bahamas, The
KitMaker: 4 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 - 02:40 PM UTC
Akizuki / Monochrome. Which Hobby Store? Are they online? Would love to purchase a couple of these.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Model Shipwrights: 350 posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 - 06:40 PM UTC
Watching this one, beautiful ship and I'm interested in seeing how the ICM kits go together.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 - 07:10 PM UTC
I got mine from HLJ.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2012 - 08:00 PM UTC
Greetings one and all..
I have been away for a while, got retrenched from my job, and sat in the middle of the main road through my area and held a blokes hand for half an hour after he was hit by a car on Friday night. Not the drivers fault as he was listening to his headphones and not paying attention. Nothing on the local news so he must be OK..
But back to the Markgraf. I have got the armament assembled, painted and ready for installation.

Yes, five, count em five turrets for this ship.. one in the middle and two either end.

The detail on the turrets is pretty good as well.. Oops! There is a mould seam I have to remove on top of the thingy on the turret..

Here are the 14 secondary guns, 6 thirdly guns (lol) and two that must go on the superstructure somewhere. Haven't got that far yet.

I have glued the main deck on the rear of the hull and this is the best fitting wooden deck I have used thus far. Also comes with lots of little PE vents or somethings for the deck. They will go on once I get the upper deck on.

And finally a couple of closer pictures of the deck.
Fit has been great so far with little flash and very little 'adjustments' required for a good fit. Here's hoping it continues.
More news as it comes to hand.
Dr_Who2
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 90 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 02:10 AM UTC
Just as a side note here is a review of the Monochrome Kit:

Click: IJN Suizuzuki 1/350 Review on MSW

Other than that thank you for a nice built log on the Markgraf. Much appreciated.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 06:05 AM UTC
Hi Warren,

Looking great so far, the fit of the deck looks very good.

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 07:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just as a side note here is a review of the Monochrome Kit:

Click: IJN Suizuzuki 1/350 Review on MSW

Other than that thank you for a nice built log on the Markgraf. Much appreciated.

I am here to please Dariush. The moulding on the Mono Chrome kit is excellent.

Yes Simon, the deck is great but it lifted in a few places due to me being a bit lazy and not sanding down all the raised plank detailing, but a little extra-thin CA run under the deck fixes it every time.

Thanks for dropping by guys.

Cheers
Warren
 _GOTOTOP