_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
A Titanic Adventure
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 05:21 PM UTC
Guess how many portholes a 1/400 Academy RMS Titanic Centenary Edition has.. 200? no.. more... 500?... wrong again.. come on.. 800?? more... 983 give or take a couple... and I drilled all of those out this morning using my two rotary tools, two because one of them wouldn't take a fine enough drill for the smallest portholes, and the other as the other one didn't have the right collet for the larger drill..
Here are some pictures I posted previously in one of Mr Sallow's blogs but I thought I would start my own thread of this build while I wait for the replacement deck for my CV-14.
So, the adventure begins..

The deck is self-adhesive and very thin. The plastic deck has greatly exaggerated planking which this nice wooden one should hide.

One of the PE sheets is au natural brass while the other one is painted white. Nice.. I hate painting white..

As you can see the hull plating is a little bit OOT, but I figure it adds character.

Gold letters for the name and other bits and bobs.

Props are a little too shiny I think..

If you didn't like painting you could still come up with an excellent model with this kit.

In fact the only thing missing is a reel of thread for the funnel support wires and radio aerials.
I have sanded the mould line off the bottom of the one piece hull and drilled out all those portholes and that is it for now.
Time for a break from my heavy metal builds with lots of guns.
More later.
Cheers all
Warren
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 07:40 PM UTC
You are a glutton for punishment Warren but will be watching with interest.....Cheers mark
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 08:56 PM UTC
Go Warren go ! The Australian plastic porthole woodpecker strikes again
A gorgeous subject Warren, will be a joy to follow your build of this ship.
cheers
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 09:16 PM UTC
I actually got a bit more done..

I also got the anti-fouling painted.. Did you know that it is possible to use an airbrush with no needle in it? You wonder why paint is coming back up through the air button but you keep going for a few minutes before you realise the problem, and that was only because I thought there was something wrong with the needle or nozzle and as I took the cover off the back of the 'brush I realised the problem..
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 09:07 AM UTC
Go Warren!!! I have the Minicraft 1/350 scale kit of Titanic in the stash so I shall really enjoy following your build!
Wisham
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 12:31 PM UTC
Looks like a fun build. By the way awesome name. Have a good one.k
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 01:22 PM UTC
Well friend ..... You are crazy !!!

Enjoy ...Daniel
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2013 - 07:30 AM UTC
Thanks Warren and Daniel.. I think I must be a little crazy..

I was perusing my instructions last night while watching the Rugby League and discovered that the PE and wooden deck where done by Pontos. I thought the instructions looked familiar in style. I did find that they are not very comprehensive or very clear though. Many of the replacement railings are not even mentioned in instructions anywhere. Not good.

I got the anti-fouling painted and will mask up the hull and paint the semi-gloss black very soon.

More later..
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
Model Shipwrights: 72 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2013 - 11:01 PM UTC
Ahoy Warren
I'll be watching this baby as shes in the stash in must build status.
I've got a load of Toms modelworks goodies for mine,window frames deck chairs etc.
Model on mate
Andy

good stuff here
http://titanic-model.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=123&topic_id=5592&sub_topic_id=5836&mesg_id=&page=
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 03:29 AM UTC
G'day Andy.

Glad to have you on board.

It always makes me smile when I read about colour debates when there is no evidence available to show a certain colour. The Titanis sank long before colour photographs were invented so I don't see how anyone can say definitively what a colour should be.
I remember I got a set of Tom's stuff for one of my builds but was very disappointed with the quality of the PE. Etching seemed all over the place. Is the Titanic etching any better (consistent width etc in the window frames?)
I also note that the benches are vastly different sizes between the Academy and Toms versions. To me it looks like the Tom's ones are far too big. The passengers would have needed to be well over 8 feet tall to fit on them, or am I incorrect?
I am afraid mine is going to be mostly OOB, as for so-called corrections I am going with the 'ignorance is bliss' method.. I would rather spend my money on kits and PE sets than on reference material. After all I am the only one who is going to see the kit after it is finished and as long as I am happy with it that is all that really matter.
Cheers mate
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2013 - 09:35 PM UTC
Ship's cranes, done..

PE came from set that comes with kit.
Cheers
Warren
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 - 05:26 AM UTC
looking very impressive Warren. I am having quite a fight to withstand the urge to buy one......
There is one sitting in a shop quite near Oh, the temptation.....
Julian
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 - 07:14 AM UTC
Interesting looking kit, looks very complete.

very tidy etch work on the cranes Warren , will be following with interest.

Si.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 - 11:26 AM UTC
Thanks Julian and Simon.

@Julian, you know you can't resist..

The only thing missing is a painting guide. Yes Sir you read that correctly I can't find a painting guide for the model in the box.
I am debating whether to bother with the gold stripe in this scale as it narrows toward the bow and is only 1mm in width in 1/400 scale at its thickest. I suppose I will have to give it a go..
I was just looking on Hobby Search and there is supposed to be a colour guide, and the edition I looked at had the anti-fouling colour already painted the right colour.. My hull was just black..
Cheers
Warren
ejhammer
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 136 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 - 12:39 PM UTC
Just opened the box of my academy Titanic, kit # 1458 and it has a color printed sheet "Painting reference guide" in it. PM me your e-mail addy and I'll Take pics of it and send it to you.

EJ
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 - 07:00 PM UTC
Looking very nice indeed Warren.....Cheers mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 - 08:08 PM UTC
Hi Warren

go here for painting info if it helps

http://titanic-model.com/paint/
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 - 08:40 PM UTC
Thanks Mark and Russell.
@ Russell, I had already found that site but there isn't a pictorial guide if you know what I mean, just a list of the parts that have to be painted a certain colour, and I do not know the names of all the items..
Too much of a land lubber I suppose.
But thanks anyway for your help.
Cheers
Warren
ejhammer
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 136 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 08:12 AM UTC
This was in the box from my 1/400 Titanic kit.

warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 01:43 PM UTC
Thanks Eugene.
Bugger, it mentions the gold line..
Cheers
Warren
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
Model Shipwrights: 72 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 11:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

G'day Andy.

I remember I got a set of Tom's stuff for one of my builds but was very disappointed with the quality of the PE. Etching seemed all over the place. Is the Titanic etching any better (consistent width etc in the window frames?)
I also note that the benches are vastly different sizes between the Academy and Toms versions. To me it looks like the Tom's ones are far too big. The passengers would have needed to be well over 8 feet tall to fit on them, or am I incorrect?
Cheers mate
Warren

Hi Warren,
the window frames are spot on ,I can't comment on the benches as I don't have them,I'll use the kit ones.
I have two sets of deck chairs in 1/350 but I intend to show these stacked so the scale won't matter too much
Are you going to have kate standing on the prow ????
Andy
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 01:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

G'day Andy.

Cheers mate
Warren

Hi Warren,
the window frames are spot on ,I can't comment on the benches as I don't have them,I'll use the kit ones.
I have two sets of deck chairs in 1/350 but I intend to show these stacked so the scale won't matter too much
Are you going to have kate standing on the prow ????
Andy

Erm in a word, no. If there is a movie I do not like it is that one.
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 02:59 AM UTC
How about Wierd Al Yankowic's parody on Kate and Leonardo having a farting contest while standing on the prow of the Titanic? That nearly killed me, I laughed so much I needed oxygen.
Julian

Sorry Warren, I am thoroughly disgusting. Excuse me for using the "F" word in your thread, Pfttttt.......
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 07:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How about Wierd Al Yankowic's parody on Kate and Leonardo having a farting contest while standing on the prow of the Titanic? That nearly killed me, I laughed so much I needed oxygen.
Julian

Sorry Warren, I am thoroughly disgusting. Excuse me for using the "F" word in your thread, Pfttttt.......

Fart is fine mate! It is a natural bodily function and I seem to be an expert at it lately.. pparp... excuse me.. That movie sucked on so many levels.
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 03:04 AM UTC
I couldn't resist:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Ptlze33vE
The Wierd Al Titanic parody.................
Julian
 _GOTOTOP