_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Revell Thermopylae
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 427 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 03:03 PM UTC
Hi all well it's finally finished.
Just one question, I know which one goes on the main mast from the box art but where do these other flags go.

JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2017 - 09:32 AM UTC
Hi Ken,

congratulations on commissioning! Your Thermopylae definitely look great!! And she is quite huge....

Glad you recovered from your last minute mishap...I truly hope something like that is not going to happen to me...really don't need this kind of drama just before reaching the finish line...

Cheers,
Jan
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2017 - 04:34 PM UTC
Brilliant work Ken

Glad to see you got all the problems sorted out and can finally crack a few well earned on this one!

Thanks again for sharing !
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 496 posts
Model Shipwrights: 404 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 07:40 AM UTC
[quote]Hi all well it's finally finished.
Just one question, I know which one goes on the main mast from the box art but where do these other flags go.

Hi Ken,

Congrats on finishing the build! She looks really great. I hadn't realized you were finished, as I lost track of your postings.

With regard to the flags: on my Thermopolaye, the yellow ocher with blue trim flag is on the mainmast; I don't see any other flags on my model (I'm looking at a picture I took, not the real thing). However, in doing some research, it looks like the proper ensign to fly would be the one with the solid red field (in your photo, the one on the left). This would be flown from a halyard that is attached to the upper yard for the mizzen sail. The signal flags would probably be flown on a separate halyard, attached to the same place.

This, I lifted from Wikipedia: The Red Ensign undefaced is for the use of all other British merchant navy ships and private craft.

So there ya go!!

I will try to remember to take a peak at my Thermopolaye, and see if I have any other ensigns on it.

Good luck on getting a display case!

Tim
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2018 - 12:21 AM UTC
Ken,

This is one absolutely beautiful build! Congratulations on finishing this too-rarely seen kit. Your missus was right - be sure to get a case to protect this one.

Well done indeed!
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 427 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2018 - 02:03 AM UTC
Thanks guys
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 496 posts
Model Shipwrights: 404 posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2018 - 07:00 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Hi all well it's finally finished.

Hi Ken,

Congrats on finishing the build! She looks really great. I hadn't realized you were finished, as I lost track of your postings.

With regard to the flags: on my Thermopolaye, the yellow ocher with blue trim flag is on the mainmast; I don't see any other flags on my model (I'm looking at a picture I took, not the real thing). However, in doing some research, it looks like the proper ensign to fly would be the one with the solid red field (in your photo, the one on the left). This would be flown from a halyard that is attached to the upper yard for the mizzen sail. The signal flags would probably be flown on a separate halyard, attached to the same place.

This, I lifted from Wikipedia: The Red Ensign undefaced is for the use of all other British merchant navy ships and private craft.

So there ya go!!

I will try to remember to take a peak at my Thermopolaye, and see if I have any other ensigns on it.

Good luck on getting a display case!

Tim

Well, change number x: In looking at my actual model, the "Thermopolaye" flag flies from the mizzenmast. The red over blue flag (the colors are split horizontally), with an elongated gold star in the middle, flies from the mainmast. I think, the flag on the mainmast is for the White Star Line - but I'm guessing on that.

Cheers,

Tim
 _GOTOTOP