_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
DRAGON 1/350 GERMAN Z32 DESTROYER
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 06:46 PM UTC
Beautiful job. I've been following along this build from the start, lots of useful tips for me all through the thread. Thanks for sharing so much detail of your build process.

Cheers, D
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 11:38 PM UTC
Hi Dave,

congratulations to your commissioning Z 32 Fantastic job!!

As Damian and Todd already pointed out, great work and a great blog that was always fun to follow (as long as you weren't moving around half the world, but that is excused )

She looks absolutely stunning on her sea trials!!

Cheers,
Jan
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 12:02 AM UTC
Todd, Damian, and Jan,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm pretty happy with the end result. Need to work on my water abilities a little more but for the most part but as always there are more things to learn.

Dave
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 02:05 AM UTC
Brilliant way to finish her off Dave

your persistence in taking her half way around the world to complete her definitely deserves a few
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 08:20 AM UTC
Russell,

Thanks, I know I drank a few while building him, now for a few more.

Dave
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 08:57 PM UTC
Hi everyone,

Now that I have caught up on some things I now have the time to provide some final thoughts regarding the Dragon Z32.

First off it is a great kit with fine details and good fit. The basic build of this kit was quite easy and most parts fell together like legos.

However, there are some parts such as the AA guns that are a little over engineered. What I mean is that there are some parts that should have been molded together verse having the builder put them together. Not a major issue but a little challenging at times.

I would highly recommend a PE upgrade set. I believe Eduard has finally released one to the general market. This was an OOB build except for the railing so I do not have any advice or comments about the Eduard Set.

The PE set that does come with the kit provides enough parts that it improves the overall look of the ship. The instructions for the PE are incorporated into the general instructions which makes it easier.

I think the last comments I would make is that this kit screams for brass replacement masts. The kit masts are good but not very sturdy. They bend quite a bit.

All in all I loved building the kit and see another over the horizon of my future.

I want to thank everyone for your support during this build and your understanding. I know I dragged this out a bit so thanks for hanging around.

Dave
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 10:08 PM UTC
Anything worth doing is certainly going to take some time to complete my friend! Stella performance all around on this one! Thanks for your insight into the kit as well and sharing the build with us!!
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 02:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi everyone,

Now that I have caught up on some things I now have the time to provide some final thoughts regarding the Dragon Z32.

First off it is a great kit with fine details and good fit. The basic build of this kit was quite easy and most parts fell together like legos.

However, there are some parts such as the AA guns that are a little over engineered. What I mean is that there are some parts that should have been molded together verse having the builder put them together. Not a major issue but a little challenging at times.

I would highly recommend a PE upgrade set. I believe Eduard has finally released one to the general market. This was an OOB build except for the railing so I do not have any advice or comments about the Eduard Set.

The PE set that does come with the kit provides enough parts that it improves the overall look of the ship. The instructions for the PE are incorporated into the general instructions which makes it easier.

I think the last comments I would make is that this kit screams for brass replacement masts. The kit masts are good but not very sturdy. They bend quite a bit.

All in all I loved building the kit and see another over the horizon of my future.

I want to thank everyone for your support during this build and your understanding. I know I dragged this out a bit so thanks for hanging around.

Dave

Many thanks for sharing this build Dave and for the final thoughts! Always good to see these long term projects come together. (Ask me how I know )

Looking forward to seeing your next project!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 01:46 PM UTC
Outstanding job Dave,

Can't say any more than that.

Cheers

Si
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 05:10 PM UTC
Gentlemen

Thanks for the kind words. The shipyard has already reconfigured for the IJN Shokaku and IJN Akigumo.

Dave
Heff33
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 14 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 - 04:43 AM UTC
Hi,
I assume an aftermarket set of figures? What brand please?

Great work!
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 06:10 AM UTC
Colin,

The aftermarket figures are from North Star. Its their Kreigsmarine at work set.

Dave
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Model Shipwrights: 249 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 01:02 PM UTC
Great job! I really love your water effects.

Gaz
 _GOTOTOP