_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Cruisers
Topics covering cruisers both past and present.
Cruiser Campaign - HMS New Zealand
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 11:05 AM UTC
This is going to be my entry for the Cruiser Campaign, Combrig's HMS New Zealand.

‘We distant sons desire to stand in any peril beside the lion mother of our race, and to the utmost of our resources prove to her and to the world how dear to us is Britain’s name and greatness. We recognise that Britain’s acknowledged supremacy of the seas goes for the maintenance of peace, and that any weakness, either in the Homeland or abroad, makes what ought to be a dominant position a dangerous one. Sacrifices must be made to show competitive nations that, although separated by seas, we are in reality one for the preservation of our Empire’s greatness.’

So said New Zealand’s Prime Minister in 1909 announcing that NZ was offering the Motherland the free gift of a first class battleship. This proved enormously popular in NZ and the British acknowledged this by naming the ship after the country.

HMS New Zealand was one of three Indefatigable-class battlecruisers built for the defence of the British Empire. Launched in 1911, the ship was funded by the Government of New Zealand* as a gift to Britain, and she was commissioned into the Royal Navy in 1912. She had been intended for the China Station, but was released by the New Zealand Government at the request of the Admiralty for service in British waters.

During 1913, HMS New Zealand was sent on a ten-month tour of the British Dominions, with an emphasis on a visit to her namesake nation. She was back in British waters at the start of World War I, and operated as part of the Royal Navy's Grand Fleet, in opposition to the German High Seas Fleet. During the war, the battlecruiser participated in all three of the major North Sea battles—Heligoland Bight, Dogger Bank, and Jutland—and was involved in the response to the inconclusive Raid on Scarborough, and the Second Battle of Heligoland Bight. HMS New Zealand contributed to the destruction of two cruisers during her wartime service and was hit by enemy fire only once, sustaining no casualties; her status as a "lucky ship" was attributed by the crew to a Māori piupiu(warrior's skirt) and hei-tiki (pendant) worn by the captain during battle.

After the war, HMS New Zealand was sent on a second world tour, this time to allow Admiral John Jellicoe to review the naval defences of the Dominions. In 1920, the battlecruiser was placed in reserve. She was broken up for scrap in 1922 in order to meet Britain's tonnage limit in the disarmament provisions of the Washington Naval Treaty. (Wikipedia)
*The NZ Government borrowed £2 million to pay for the ship and didn’t finally pay it off until 1944, 22 years after it had been scrapped.

I thought I would do a build blog and a kit review as I go along.

The Kit
Well the box art is not up there with the more established kit producers with a just a simple sepia toned photo adorning the white lid of a top opening box.

The kit is well packed with the hull protected by bubble wrap and the resin pieces in zip lock bags within two smaller sturdy white boxes.

The detail for this kit is very fine and matches any of the new styrene kits available. All the pieces are undamaged with only two of the smaller pieces having come adrift of their casting stubs.

Combrig’s HMS New Zealand is available in either waterline or full hull and this is easily arranged as the hull is presented as top and bottom rather than two length way halves. The hulls are sharply cast though you will need to some patience to remove the casting stubs which run the full length of both hulls with saw and sander. Both hulls have substantial internal bracing as part of the casting and they feel very solid in the hand.

So that is my first piece of work to undertake. I will be back with more review as I progress.

cheers
Michael
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 12:14 AM UTC
That's a very nice project Michael!! I am in and looking forward to your build log!!

Cheers,
Jan
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 01:02 AM UTC
Ahoy Michael

I have been waiting patiently for this one.

Superb subject indeed.

I loved learning bit more about this mighty ship.

Cheers

Sean
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 01:10 AM UTC
Nice segue into the build Michael! Excellent choice of subject and kit! Looking forward to following along!
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 01:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's a very nice project Michael!! I am in and looking forward to your build log!!

Cheers,
Jan

Thanks Jan. I am hoping to keep this moving along. Hopefully will be a fairly straightforward build.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 01:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahoy Michael

I have been waiting patiently for this one.

Superb subject indeed.

I loved learning bit more about this mighty ship.

Cheers

Sean

Yes indeed Sean. This was the first kit I bought to get into ship building about 3 years ago so I am also glad to finally get it started. I am glad I waited because it may have been too big a challenge without what I have learned over that time here. Hopefully now it will be fairly strightforward.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 02:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice segue into the build Michael! Excellent choice of subject and kit! Looking forward to following along!

Thanks Todd.
I can't imagine that we would generate the same patriotic fervour to donate a ship, any ship, to the Mother country now.

cheers

Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 02:17 PM UTC
An update on the hull.

The resin over pour was removed from both hulls with about a hour of sawing.

with the possibility now of mating the two halves together a couple of issues have shown themselves. Firstly though the two hull pieces sit well together

The overall issue is that the lower hull is slightly wider than the top but this can be easily rectified through the body by adding some guides on the inside of the lower to hold the upper piece in line. The more obvious issue is at the prow where both pieces are solid resin. The lower is wider for about 3cm along the hull before the lower can be squeezed to match the upper.

The lower will need to be shaped to match the narrower top.
A more easily fixed problem is with the stern. With the front and the sides aligned and taped together, the lower stern is slightly distorted. This can be pushed bck to align with some clamps to allow the glue to harden.

Though the photo doesn't quite show it, the stern lower and upper hulls are the same width so no problem there.

Hopefully back next with a one piece hull.

cheers
Michael
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 02:21 PM UTC
I'm on board Micheal!

Great start to what will be a very interesting build.
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 07:35 AM UTC
Ahoy Michael

Nice start.

Cheers

Sean
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 01:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm on board Micheal!

Great start to what will be a very interesting build.

Thanks Russ. I hope I can keep the interest up.

cheers

Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 01:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahoy Michael

Nice start.

Cheers

Sean

Hi Sean,
Thanks for that. Once I am past the hull it should be plain sailing

cheers
Michael
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 07:16 AM UTC
Michael,

Interesting selection. I do not remember seeing a kit from this manufacturer so I'm interested in seei,g you progress through your build. So far it looks quite challenging.

Will be following closely

Dave
GrantGoodale
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 07:26 AM UTC
I'm looking forward to watching this build. I have the Combrig HMS Glascow in the stash. I have built all resin aircraft kits but never an all resin ship.
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 01:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael,

Interesting selection. I do not remember seeing a kit from this manufacturer so I'm interested in seei,g you progress through your build. So far it looks quite challenging.

Will be following closely

Dave

Thanks Dave.
Maybe more challenging than I first thought. But hey, what would modelling be if it was all Tamiya precision. Hmm, actually I'd get to build a lot more kits

thanks

Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 01:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm looking forward to watching this build. I have the Combrig HMS Glascow in the stash. I have built all resin aircraft kits but never an all resin ship.

Hi Grant,
Well it's my second resin ship. The quality of the detail is much better than the first but at least that was a one piece hull. I would like to see Glasgow built because I had been thinking about getting HMS Kent.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 02:02 PM UTC
Hull update:
I thought to fix the fact the top hill was slightly narrower than the lower hull when placed together. I decided I would add some guides in the form of 4mm x 0.5mm styrene strips. It did look pretty effective.

But sadly I missed the fact that Combrig moulded the top hull thicker than the base by about 0.7mm. So the top was held in place effectivly by the guides but projecting out all long the hull by 0.7mm or so due to the thicker resin.

It was a nice day here so I moved outside with the dremel and proceeded to shave down the inside of the upper hull. That did the trick and with the hulls now pretty much aligned they are under clamp joined with some expoxy resin. I will give it 24hrs before seeing if I have the starting point for a 1 piece hull. There will still be plenty of work to do with the sand paper and sticks.

cheers
Michael
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 02:39 PM UTC
Hi Michael

good to hear you've sorted the problems with the hull!

Look forward to seeing the two parts all joined up!

Russ
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 - 10:08 AM UTC
Michael,

I've never done anything full resin - I would figure matching hull halves in resign is a more complex task than for the plastic ones.
Great to see that you fond a solution!!

Cheers,
Jan
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 01:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael,

I've never done anything full resin - I would figure matching hull halves in resign is a more complex task than for the plastic ones.
Great to see that you fond a solution!!

Cheers,
Jan

Hi Jan,
You're right. It is more complex. The solution is lots of elbow grease.

cheers

Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 02:16 PM UTC
Well after a long time between posts I finally have an update of the troublesome colonial, HMS New Zealand.

Ultimately the two halves were joined with expoxy resin and I accepted the fact it was going to be impossible for me to align the top and bottom better than average. I think I have spent about twenty hours getting to the stage of having a coat of primer on the hull.

Several shheets of 600 and 1200 sandpaper went to the cause plus some filler. The prow and stern required the most attention as I had highlighted earlier in the dry fit. Fortunately the weather has been good here so I could sand outside but unfortunately very humid. Sanding is a sweaty job.

The prow in its final stage, the lower hull somewhat thinner.

The stern is much straighter

The hull showing the effects of a lot of sanding

I tried to use the dust with CA as a sort of filler. It was semi-successful. Tamiya putty is probably more reliable.

As a final act on the hull, the hawse holes are cast solid so I drilled and filed those out.

And finally, a couple of coats of Tamiya primer, and it's ready for some colour.

I am sure it will be a breeze from here.

cheers
Michael
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2016 - 12:30 AM UTC
Very smooth job on the hull Michael.

Look forward to seeing more,

Si
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2016 - 12:17 AM UTC
Ahoy Michael

Great update.

I was wondering what progress you may be making.

There must be a real haze of resin dust over your place recently.

Cheers

Sean
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2016 - 04:46 AM UTC
Excellent work on getting the hull knocked into shape Micheal!

Let's hope the rest of the kit is a lot more 'user friendly'
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2016 - 02:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very smooth job on the hull Michael.

Look forward to seeing more,

Si

Thanks Si,
And since you know these things, late war battlecruisers would have been AP507A in colour? There are no colour instructions with the kit.

cheers
Michael
 _GOTOTOP