Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
Dragon Gearing Class Odyssey
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 02:54 AM UTC
nice research, D

looks like you're well and truly 'hooked' on the salty side
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 04:08 AM UTC
You might be right Russ, I might be in trouble!

Working on a couple of other builds tonight but I still found time to add 4 more PE parts to the Gearing.

No excuses now, the hull is ready for the paint shop.

Cheers, D
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 10:29 PM UTC
Small progress is still progress Mate.

Nice work

Cheers

Si
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 - 07:34 PM UTC
Very nice and clean!! Looking forward to see some paint!!

Cheers,
Jan
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2016 - 11:06 AM UTC
My interpretation of Hull Red, 3 parts X-7 Red mixed with 1 part XF-9 Hull Red, Tamiya acrylics.

I will let this cure for a day or two then on to the boot topping.

Cheers, D
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2016 - 02:10 PM UTC
Great stuff Damian,

The colour looks very good to me mate, really coming together,

Cheers

Si
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Model Shipwrights: 249 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2016 - 02:50 PM UTC
Damian,
Been following along quietly. Glad to see you making steady progress. Yout PE works is very nice!

Gaz
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2016 - 03:27 PM UTC
The hull looks great and looking forward to see how the rest turns out with your chosen scheme.

cheers
Michael
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2016 - 04:32 PM UTC
Looking very nice, D
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 09:34 AM UTC
The color looks really good! Fine job on the lower hull, and your mixed red looks spot on to me!

Cheers,
Jan
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 08:01 PM UTC
Thanks again for the feedback guys, very much appreciated. I am really pleased with the colour and the finish, and looking forward to getting the next couple of colours on.

Cheers, D
Littorio
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 10:21 PM UTC
D, she looks great with a bit of colour on and the red looks like a very close match through my monitor. Keep up the fine work.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 05:05 AM UTC
G'day folks.

Reading through Russell's Prince Eugen thread a couple of days back, and seeing such great progress, I was motivated to revive this thread with a view to getting the Gearing back on the bench.

Several hours later I am still dealing with the Photobucket fiasco trying to cross-reference images, download them to my Kitmaker Gallery and replace them in the thread.

What a PAIN IN THE #$%&#@$ !!!

Cheers, D
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 05:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...Photobucket fiasco...What a PAIN IN THE #$%&#@$ !!!

Damian, I quite agree! Try Imgur. They are still a user friendly host for posting images - at least for the moment. I fear the days of the "free" Internet may be numbered.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 06:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I fear the days of the "free" Internet may be numbered.

I'm sure you are correct Tim. I think for the moment I will just focus on using my Kitmaker Gallery. It works fine and I have plenty of space there.

Looking forward to getting back into this project.

Cheers, D
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 11:42 AM UTC
I wondered where this had got to. It will be great to see it revived. Hope you sort out the pictures and I think using the Kitmaker gallery is a good idea. No worries about the future of third party photo sharing sites... touchwood.

cheers
Michael
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 03:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

G'day folks.

Reading through Russell's Prince Eugen thread a couple of days back, and seeing such great progress, I was motivated to revive this thread with a view to getting the Gearing back on the bench.

Several hours later I am still dealing with the Photobucket fiasco trying to cross-reference images, download them to my Kitmaker Gallery and replace them in the thread.

What a PAIN IN THE #$%&#@$ !!!

Cheers, D

Hi Damian

very flattered indeed! It's great to see this thread revived!

Yep, photo bucket has put a lot of people out, but the Kitmaker gallery works great, and like Michael said, there's no chance of it going astray
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 03:26 PM UTC
Thanks for checking in guys. If you look back through the thread I have replaced images up to about half way through page 4. I am hoping to finish the rest tonight so I am ready once I dig the kit out of the dark depths of my garage.

Cheers, D

Edit: It's done! All images have been updated. Now I just need to read through a couple more times to remember where I was at, and what I had planned.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 04:51 PM UTC
You've come a long way so far D! Looking forward to seeing more
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 - 03:24 AM UTC
Almost 3 years on since my last actual progress update, where does the time go?

I dragged this out tonight for a change of pace from my current car build fetish, and managed to install about 20 small styrene parts. At least I think I did, I couldn't actually see them! The old eyesight is going backwards at a rate of knots lately (see what I did there ).

I also installed the main superstructure to the deck and masked off the hull red, almost ready for a primer coat on this stage.

Humble apologies, I definitely won't keep you waiting another 3 years. I am determined to get this one finished for the 2019 "Dry Docked" Campaign.

Cheers, D
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 - 07:03 AM UTC
Good to see you back on this one Damien.

Nice progress on getting the first level of the superstructure down.

Cheers

Si
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 02:15 AM UTC
Thanks for checking in on me Si, much appreciated.

About 60 small styrene parts added to the first level and bridge superstructure (which is dry fitted to see how everything lines up).

My plan for painting is to use a superfine black primer and microfiller over everything first, mask a fine line and leave that as the boot topping line, paint everything Haze Grey, then mask and paint the Navy Blue sides and Deck Blue topside. I will keep the main sub-assemblies all separate and install them after painting and touch-up as necessary.

Question to the master shipbuilders here, does this sound like a sound plan or have I got it completely backwards?

Cheers, D
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 273 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 07:52 AM UTC
It is probably a little late for me to say this, because you have already mounted the main superstructure block, but I will anyway.

Sumners and their kissing cousin Gearings both have the long superstructure block, and were I to paint one, my order would be locate and paint your boot top, then mask. Follow this with the Navy Blue on the hull. Then mask off the portion of the hull from the sheer line to the bow that will now be painted Haze Gray. Next paint the deck. Follow this by and individual paint job on each major component starting with the main superstructure block. Then assemble.

I know it is very fashionable to use the Measure 22 on the Gearing as shown in the instructions, but in truth (1) Gearing never spent much time in that measure (2) everybody does it.

My choice, were I doing this kit would be in overall Haze Gray with all deck surfaces in Deck Blue, using the small hull numbers, bow and stern, that come with the kit. That would depict Gearing from 46-47, and one need not fear that there was any modernization done to her, like was done from 49 onward. This last of course is pure opinion but your model would be unique, a one of, rather than one of many.

PS: I should also add that Gearing had no combat service in WWII, She spent her entire career in the Atlantic and Med. Should you choose to follow my suggestion, Gearing would also have her entire stack caps in a semi gloss black and some accessories like hoses and such painted in more appropriate peacetime colors. Her anti-skid deck surfacing a little darker than the deck blue (not much), and be kept in a nearly pristine state of paint maintenance. She was with her sisters Eugene A Greene, Gyatt, and others very much a show the flag in the Med showboats during this period, meaning very little weathering. You model would be Gearing in that short transition period from war to peace.

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 09:35 AM UTC
Damian! Good to see this one back on the go!

After all, you can't spend all your time in the Auto shop

Just one suggestion, along the lines of Chuck's comments: For painting reasons, usually, I'd build the hull and deck up, then paint that before attaching (semi completed) painted superstructure blocks. This will alleviate the need for complicated masking in an effort to paint the decks
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 06:58 PM UTC
Russ, Chuck, thanks once again for your input. Very valuable to me in my initiation into shipbuilding, and always much appreciated.

Quoted Text

I know it is very fashionable to use the Measure 22 on the Gearing as shown in the instructions, but in truth (1) Gearing never spent much time in that measure (2) everybody does it.

My choice, were I doing this kit would be in overall Haze Gray with all deck surfaces in Deck Blue, using the small hull numbers, bow and stern, that come with the kit. That would depict Gearing from 46-47, and one need not fear that there was any modernization done to her, like was done from 49 onward. This last of course is pure opinion but your model would be unique, a one of, rather than one of many.

Chuck, I see exactly what you mean, but I wanted to depict the three ships during their brief service period in 1945. I have been wandering through the maze that is USN Measures and trying to decide on which appeal to me the most for these three builds as I want to do 3 different schemes. MS 22 will be one of them, and I think that I have settled on MS33a/28D for either Frank Knox or Chevalier.

I am also close to settling on the third scheme, being MS21, but I find a couple of options in there as well.
MS 21 June 1942 with Navy Blue 5-N on all vertical surfaces and Deck Blue 20-B on all horizontal surfaces, or MS 21 Feb 1945 Revision with Navy Grey (5-N as well!) and Deck Gray (20).
I'm thinking that the all Gray MS 21 scheme would work well on the third build, but then again I don't recall ever seeing the all-blue scheme on any builds. Decisions, decisions ???

Once again, all input most welcome.

Cheers, D