_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
HMS Hesperus & U93
Tonynewlove
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 - 01:21 AM UTC
My father, Harold Newlove, was a lieutenant on the Hesperus when it sank the U93. When the Hesperus rammed the submarine everyone in the conning tower was thrown into the water, and only then picked up by the Hesperus's motor launch. There was no way they could be thrown directly into the motor launch. One of the Germans went below and installed himself in my father's hammock. My father's first reaction on finding him there was to want to tip him out, but he relented and let him sleep.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 - 09:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My father, Harold Newlove, was a lieutenant on the Hesperus when it sank the U93. When the Hesperus rammed the submarine everyone in the conning tower was thrown into the water, and only then picked up by the Hesperus's motor launch. There was no way they could be thrown directly into the motor launch. One of the Germans went below and installed himself in my father's hammock. My father's first reaction on finding him there was to want to tip him out, but he relented and let him sleep.

Hi Tony.

Thank you for taking the time to share your family connection with the sinking of U93. Whilst I will admit I did find the tale of the Captain & First Lt being catapulted in the motor boat amusing, I did think it a little far fetched. It is nice to have that put to rest.

Your Father sounds like a true seafarer, once you have fished a guy out of the water, who he fought for is neither here nor there, he is a survivor.

Thank you again.

All the best.

Simon
 _GOTOTOP