General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Tamiya 1/350 king george v
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 427 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 - 11:59 PM UTC
Hi all well to say I'm disappointed with eduard pe is an understatement I've removed the plastic from the deck that the eduard instructions tell you to so how do I put the box when folded in the first two pics over the larger box.

There are several more folded boxes so I assume I will have the same problem with them, that is problem one with the eduard set number two the instructions show 2 part 30 and there are indeed two boxes on the deck which need those parts here is what eduard supply

As you can see only 1 part 30 and of course as I've already mentioned earlier in the build there are no where near enough scuttles supplied.

Number 3 their numbering on the frets has no logic at all number 84 being next to number 172 171 being next to 80 takes longer to find the part than it takes to atattch it.

Number 4 the folding instructions are pretty much non existent. 

I've not had a lot of experience with pe but considering eduard are up there with the priceyest. I have to say it's the worst I've used so far. I think I will stick with mk1 and pontos from now on.

RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2018 - 01:28 AM UTC
I Must admit I find Eduards' nautical ventures somewhat disappointing.

I have reached the point that I tend to avoid them unless their no other option, it is odd in way because they are rather good when it comes to aircraft and armour.

Etch aside keep up the good work Ken,

Cheers

Si

d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2018 - 04:41 PM UTC
Ken,

All PE suppliers have these issues in one way our another with all of their frets. I just learn to live with it and hope the PE is not to flimsy or thin. My fat fingers don't get along with flimsy PE.

Been watching your build from the start, very nice work.

Mark
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 12:09 AM UTC
Hi all here is an example of the eduard instructions.

The circle shows pe to be added to the top of the boxes (anything to be removed is highlighted in red) as you can see from the pencil arrow and as you can see from the fret it's not even the right shape the boxes as modelled by Tamiya (who I'm inclined to believe above eduard) are oblong eduard model them square. I'm using the eduard pe as I bought it but judging by what I've seen so far I don't trust eduard, Tamiya on the other hand are a well respected model producer with years of experience behind them. This is definitely the very last eduard pe I will buy. What annoys me most is they are supposed to be a premium pe producer as I've now discovered paying premium prices with pe dosnt mean you get premium products. 

I've not had much experience with pe but the cheapest I've bought so far is the mk1 pe and it blows eduard out the water.

Someone said they do great aircraft pe (the best available, well I say to eduard stick to aircraft, I don't build aircraft so not a product I'm ever likely to buy)

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 04:50 AM UTC
Hi Ken

so far so good here.

Up til Pontos' release for the KGV class, there really was no definitive set of PE for her.

To be fair to Eduard, some of the PE in their KGV set is exceptional, for example the POM POMs.

Other parts of their set aren't so great for the KGV and that's where you need to pick n mix with WEM and some Northstar goodies where you can.

The KGV is not a cheap build by any means with all of this, then add in an aftermarket deck as well and it soon adds up to the equivalent of some of the more pricier modern releases and their aftermarket sets.

Of course the Pontos set is great and covers everything, but budget wise it's a stretch for many a wallet, and is only a recent addition to the game.

Nonetheless, keep plugging away, you're doing great. Don't feel you need to add all the Eduard PE just cause it's in the set. Trust your instincts: if it doesn't look right, leave it off. At the end of the day, who's gonna know except you

And, in that, is my motto for building models: very few people would actually know what is 100% correct. So, why stress over being 100% accurate when it may detract from the enjoyment of the model?
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2018 - 07:36 AM UTC
Thanks mate
Hi all well now we've got our phone and internet back I can start posting again
Here are the kit supplied pompoms

Which to be fair are pretty good
Stupidly I used the eduard ones to be fair they are amazing trouble is I have to now make 7 more of them.

d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2018 - 11:02 AM UTC
Ken,

Those Pom-Poms are looking sweet. Glad you only have to make seven more and not twenty more.

Nice PE work.

Mark
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 07:45 AM UTC
Very nice job on the Pompom Ken,

May have been simpler than the pontos jobs on my Warspite, but non the less just as effective.

Good luck with the other seven mate.

Cheers

Si
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 09:48 AM UTC
you sure it's 7 Ken?

Last time I checked KGV only had 6...

Might get you off the hook for a couple
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 08:16 AM UTC
Hi all, well I seem to have so little time for modelling these days, i would have done double this in a day a yr ago, it's annoying how little time I get for modelling these days.

RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 07:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

you sure it's 7 Ken?

Last time I checked KGV only had 6...

Might get you off the hook for a couple

Hi Russ,

She did, until the refit prior to going out as part of the British Pacific Fleet, when the cat was removed, and the boats moved t it's place, two more pompoms were added on the old boat deck along with some twin 20mm MkV and a couple of quad bofors.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 07:58 AM UTC
Hi Ken,

Looking good, the etch work on the boats is first rate, and 5.25's look the business in place.

Cheers

Si
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 09:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all, well I seem to have so little time for modelling these days, i would have done double this in a day a yr ago, it's annoying how little time I get for modelling these days.

Sadly, I know what you mean, Ken.

Still you're making some progress which is good to see.
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 08:20 AM UTC
hi all more PE done sorry for the glacially slow progress but I don't get much modelling time these days.

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 02:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hi all more PE done sorry for the glacially slow progress but I don't get much modelling time these days.

It's still faster than my progress rate, Ken
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 06:01 AM UTC
Hi Ken,

that's fine work you are doing and for sure a better pace than mine...

Cheers,
Jan
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 07:33 AM UTC
Hi all loads still to add to this part, slow going but I do feel I'm getting there

I will admit due to my abysmally poor modelling skills I've missed some pe out, as a bit of fun can you spot out the bits I've missed out.

I think PE is pretty much beyond my ability now so I can't see me buying any more.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 05:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all loads still to add to this part, slow going but I do feel I'm getting there

I will admit due to my abysmally poor modelling skills I've missed some pe out, as a bit of fun can you spot out the bits I've missed out.

I think PE is pretty much beyond my ability now so I can't see me buying any more.

Believe you me, Ken, it took me years to get halfway good with PE. Best thing I ever did was buy an opti-visor to magnify my work!
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 - 08:05 AM UTC
Hi all here is the crane from the kit.

And here it is after the PE

Does anyone know did these cranes have windows in the top (I mean I don't think they stood out on those railings to hoist the ships boats on board) I can't find photos of the cranes details, I would think it would be a fairly simple job to add them if they were there.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 02:02 AM UTC
from what I can see on my references, Ken, I don't think there were windows.
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 07:19 AM UTC
Thanks Russel
Here is the next sub assy I'm going to attack

The eduard PE comes with PE Oerlikons but I like the kit ones

One of the reasons is the barrels on the kit parts are round also the PE parts are too thin.

I'm adding some of the PE to the kit Oerlikons to make them more realistic (I could add more PE to it but it's soooooooooooooooooňoo small I've left it off)( of course a lot of modellers would be able to add it but I don't have the skills)

brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 08:07 AM UTC
Great work, but all that PE looks a nightmare. I have enough issues right now with 1/35 armor PE, let alone something a factor of 10x as small.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 09:15 PM UTC
Hi Ken,

She is coming on very nicely, some fine etch work, he radar on top of the main director looks rather impressive.

Cheers

Si
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 05:59 PM UTC
Oerlikons: Shudder!
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 - 08:19 AM UTC
Hi all well I finally got some modelling time (Its a rare thing these days)