_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/350 Ticonderoga
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 05:50 AM UTC
Hi Folks,

Is the Mini Hobby Models' kit a reissue of the DML kit?
Does Gold Medal or another company make a PE set for this scale and class of ship?

Thanks!
Steve
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 07:38 AM UTC
Not sure if it's a re-pop, and I haven't seen it, but I'd stick with the DML kit myself. GMM has an excellent PE set for it.....Mike

NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 08:25 AM UTC
Half and half. The decks and hull on the Mini-hobiies version are different. They were retooled for motorization. Everything above the deck is the same as the DML/Dragon/Italeri version. The decals in the mini-hobbies version are horrible. If the difference is just a couple of dollars then go with the DML version.

Gold Medal and Flagship currently make phot-etch sets for them. I beleive WEM has them as a future product.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 10:33 AM UTC
I picked up one of those kits at Hobby Lobby for a song like $10. Plan to get one of those generic brass sets for MOdern shipsto catch rails and flight deck netting and radar arrays
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 03:19 PM UTC
Thanks Guys,

I would rather have the DML, but I guess I'll have to wait to go to a larger city like Denver or KC to find one. Until then, this one will do as a practice example. Do you think the GMM PE set would work on this one given the slight difference in the hull and main deck? Sorry to sound like such a rookie, but the truth is I've never built a ship kit before. I have about five, but have been too chicken to start them.

Thanks again
Steve
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 01:51 AM UTC
The GMM photo-etch set will work with no problems. The deck fits to the hull diffently, but should not affect the long railing.
 _GOTOTOP