_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Enlist for "Dive-Dive-Dive" Campaign
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 07:24 AM UTC
To all the "SubMates" who expressed their intentions to participate on the Submarine Campaign, now officialy designated "Dive Dive Dive", you have the chance to enlist and show that a Naval Campaign can be so succesfull as any other!

Just go to Campaigns - and click on the Campaign name - there's a button to enlist. It's just a click away

Don't miss this chance to "Join in and See the World"

If you need any help, you can contact me, 11Charlie or GarryBeebee, or just post a question in the forum!

Welcome aboard :-)

Skipper
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 10:07 AM UTC
Hmmmm,

"Dive!..Dive!!...Dive!!!"......what a silly name for a Campaign.....

:-) :-)

I just enlisted skipper. I also see that our good 'Gunnie' has also enlisted. Great news that!

Good luck to all you salty dawgs!

Tread.
spectre
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 02:13 PM UTC
I've enlisted, just now for the kit... I've already studied up a few possible candidates for subs i'd like to make, but could anyone tell me about the manufacturesrs? which ones are good and which ones are not so good, regarding subs?
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 04:32 PM UTC
Good job mates! 13 members enlisted already, and the campaign is still in the proposal stage. I have a feeling this is going to be a great campaign! I'm enjoying it already. Keep them enlistments coming in my friends.

Cheers,

Garry
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 06:40 AM UTC
Just enlisted, now I just have to sit around and wait for the build to start!

Sean
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
Model Shipwrights: 11 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 08:39 AM UTC
Maybe this can help you find some enlistees. Good Luck with the Campaign.

Sorry I don't do boats.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 10:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... I've already studied up a few possible candidates for subs i'd like to make, but could anyone tell me about the manufacturesrs? which ones are good and which ones are not so good, regarding subs?

Hi Spectre! Welcome aboard!

Regarding the model, it really depends the period and the scale that you want to make your build!

I will list the models (injection only) that I consider easy and good models:
WWII:
1 - Type VII-C 1/72 Revell-Germany .....obvious
2 - Type IX 1/200 Nichimo (actually they have three versions of the IX)
3 - Type XXI 1/144 Revell-Germany (the closed hull version or the cut-away version, with more work to be done)
4 - I-19 1/200 Nichimo (one of the best models I have seen, from the early 70's )
5 - USS Lionfish 1/220 Revell-Monogram (good hull, but need some work on the flooding holes - the Conning tower could be replaced by an AM resin, but it depends on how much is your "accuracy desease")

Post-War
6 - Russian Kilo 1/144 Trumpeter (easy build, great results)
7 - Chinese Type 33 1/144 Trumpeter (chinese version of the russian Romeo Class conventional sub)
8 - Chinese Type 33G 1/144 (model of few units build by the Chinese with missiles)
9 - Type 206 1/144 Revell-Germany (accurate model of a lesser know conventional sub)
10 - USS Skipjack 1/232(?) Revell (an easy build, with a little work if you don't want to represent the access to the nuclear reactor - part included in the model)
11 - USS Dallas 1/350 DML-Dragon (atention needed in some points to make an accurate model)
12 - USS Los Angeles 1/350 DML-Dragon (almost the same model with replaced parts of the errors made in the previous model)
13 - Kursk 1/350 Zvezda (easy built an to my knowledge, the best kursk in the market)
14 - Oriol 1/350 Zvezda (I can't make any comment, since I don't have this model, but if I remember, I think it's the same as the Kursk model with different decals)
15 - Typhoon 1/350 DML-Dragon and 1/400 Revell (actually none of this models are completely accurate, but for an first build is a great project)

This list is already too long, and there are still more subs in 1/400, 1/700 and probably a few that I had forgotten.

If you really enjoy a particular sub, go for it!!
The more recent kits are better in details and accuracy.

Appart from some models with a cut-away section, allowing the possibility to show the interior, most subs are easy builds...

Some of the subs that I have listed are now out-of-production. Some of them can be found within reasonable prices "e_you know what" auctions website.

The resin subs are a different story and I would NOT advice a "novice" to start in this media, but if anyone needs help, I'm here and glad to help!!

Hope you're still awake :-)

Skipper
spectre
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 11:30 AM UTC
was watching the BBC today and just heard of the naval hostilities between china and japan... it's not a good thing, but perhaps we will now have some more inspiration for our subs?
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 11:51 AM UTC
Howdy guys,

spectre just reminded me that I've also got a Chinese missle sub in my stash (picked it up for a potential T2K entry).
hmmmmmm...............

Tread.
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 12:06 PM UTC
I think you should go for it Tread! The more, the better!

Cougar
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 266 posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 05:49 AM UTC
Hey Guys,

Has anybody ever manufactured a model of K-19?

Cougar
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 09:50 AM UTC
Hi Cougar!

To my knowledge there's no model of the K-19 sub...
After watching the movie, I (also) tried to find a model of it, but with no success!

But, has I have stated before on this Post, I don't know every sub model that was ever produced, so I can be wrong

By the way, thank you for enlisting - welcome aboard!

Skipper
wolfpack6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 38 posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 11:17 AM UTC
Well I needed a break from Tanks anyhow, so Ill throw in with you Squids with a 1/72 U Boat by revell.
And no I dont need a dance partner, just kidding, retired Army, Tanker at Heart!
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 11:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well I needed a break from Tanks anyhow, so Ill throw in with you Squids with a 1/72 U Boat by revell.
And no I dont need a dance partner, just kidding, retired Army, Tanker at Heart!

Welcome aboard Wolfpack6 !
Glad to have you among us Squids! LOL! I was Army also, but my modeling bounces around all Military WW-2 and Viet Nam vehicles and craft. Always had a love for big guns!
This is going to be a fun and learning campaign for all of us. Armorama's first Submarine campaign!

Again welcome aboard,

Garry
wolfpack6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 38 posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 12:21 PM UTC
Always thought 120mm was big then you all get into 21 inch Torpedos and 16 inch guns, sheesh give me a break!
Thanks Ill like this Build, somthing different, But what do I do with it when Im done?
My Sherman collection is cursing me right now
blindspot
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 12:42 PM UTC
I'll take a break from the tanks as well. I saw a Dragon Ohio class in 1/350 prominently displayed at the lhs that was calling to me - my first sub - I was intrigued. It's currently 5th on my build list (behind 4 tanks), but I'll send it to next in line. Hopefully this will get me motivated to really move on it. Now if I can just get this little (1/144 - what was I thinking) JU52/3 off my desk... my first plane in years, and I had to pick one I need a magnifying glass to work on. At least the little bits in the sub kit are easier to deal with, funny since it's even smaller scale...
Cougar
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 08:47 PM UTC
Hey Skipper,

Quoted Text

To my knowledge there's no model of the K-19 sub...
After watching the movie, I (also) tried to find a model of it, but with no success!

I spent a little while on Google and Yahoo and also turned up nothing

Quoted Text

By the way, thank you for enlisting - welcome aboard!

Thanks, should be a change of pace from Aircraft and Armour. I'm currently building a Revell 1/570th kit at the moment (It's a flash factory). I'm hoping to have it finished in time for the campaign

Cougar
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 03:44 AM UTC
To all that enlisted so far, I only want to say two things:
- Have fun with this Campaign!!!
If you are taking a breack from other modeling areas, or if it's your first model after a long period off modeling, please, please have fun!!! This is not a CONTEST and there's no need to have a nervous breakdown over this :-) :-)
- Welcome aboard!!
You'll see that this is also an interesting modeling area that can be so challenging as a weathering a Tiger or a Sherman... If you need any help, just ask to the group!
Help is on the way!!

Skipper
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 04:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll take a break from the tanks as well. I saw a Dragon Ohio class in 1/350 prominently displayed at the lhs that was calling to me - my first sub - I was intrigued. It's currently 5th on my build list (behind 4 tanks), but I'll send it to next in line. Hopefully this will get me motivated to really move on it. Now if I can just get this little (1/144 - what was I thinking) JU52/3 off my desk... my first plane in years, and I had to pick one I need a magnifying glass to work on. At least the little bits in the sub kit are easier to deal with, funny since it's even smaller scale...

Howdy Blindspot !
Welcome aboard the campaign! And welcome to Armorama, the friendliest club in town ! Glad to have you along on this steadely growing event. Though this is still a proposed campaign, I think it will pass with flying colors! This is going to be fun, glad you could join.

Regards,

Garry
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,009 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 05:18 AM UTC
What the heck, this might be fun. Count me in, I havenet built anything but armour since I was a kid. That big Revell 1/72 Type VII C looks like fun.
Cheers,
Bryan
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 08:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What the heck, this might be fun. Count me in, I havenet built anything but armour since I was a kid. That big Revell 1/72 Type VII C looks like fun.
Cheers,
Bryan

Welcome Bryan!
Glad to have you onboard mate!
Wow, we are going to have a lot of
1/72 Uboats in the campaign.

Cheers

Garry
Cougar
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2004 - 07:17 AM UTC
20 participants so far

Cougar
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2004 - 08:31 AM UTC
Yes Cougar!!

And we are only in the begging

I am confident that a lot more will enlist a show their subs!!

Skipper
Cougar
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2004 - 09:00 AM UTC
Hey Skipper,

Well, I'm looking forward to it

Can people still join the Campaign after the 15th?

Cougar
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2004 - 09:41 AM UTC
Cougar,

Yes, anyone can enlist at any time prior to or during the campaign (if approved of course).
 _GOTOTOP