General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
BWN 'Tango' Boat project: need references...
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 12:05 PM UTC

"...AARRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..."

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 12:31 PM UTC
O.K....O.K......

Just FYI for anyone who may be the slightest bit interested. I have already begun (meaning, I'm working on it right now) to create the new forward 'nose' section that will be attached to the front of my altered LCM (3) kit.
This 'nose' section will become one of the addendum pieces that will transform my newly configured LCM (6) hull into a BWN 'Monitor' configuration. As opposed to the 'Tango' version I'm working on now. In other words, I'm adding this to my 'mix' so that I (and anyone else who may be interested) can in turn build either of these Mobile Riverine Force ships out of the standard Trumpeter LCM (3) kit.
I've already got the new wheelhouse/command superstructure (really wish there was a shorter name for this bit) mocked up in lightweight cardboard (index card), and it's just waiting on our good member matt's sending me the ATC schematics he has been so kind enough to supply me.
Again, just FYI. I have also begun preliminary work on the side-mounted floatation buldges added to the sides of the LCM hull to also increase it's floatation index, and to aid in maintaining the ships 'vertical' when loaded down with it's more than significant topweight.
I've also got the first draft/version of the 'stand-off' armour jig figured out, and will pick up a couple of the pieces to put that together tomorrow.........

Tread.

Oh.....and one last little thing, if anybody hears anything from Shermie's about his 'Deckrail Navy'...........just pay him no mind...............
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 01:55 PM UTC
All hands on deck! Hey Tread, this is all new to me bud. But I have been searching for you, but so far I have just found duplicates of info you already have!
But have no fear, the USS BB-BB is standing off your coastline with big gun batteries at the ready!
Just in case ya need the Navies help.

Cheers mate,

Garry
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Model Shipwrights: 47 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 02:06 PM UTC
Hey Tread I was just kidding about the LCM on my deckrail. I don't have one in the works. Just wanted to see your bloodpressure rise a bit
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 04:49 PM UTC
Alan...no worries, I knew you were kidding (hence my 'winking' smiley).

But I'm still not sure your deckrail would accept anything not wearing tracks...

Tread.
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 456 posts
Model Shipwrights: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 08:24 PM UTC
I would appreciate if you could past me the schematics since I am very interested too in the brown water navy. I started readind yesterday the posts. When I saw that the only difference between the LCM3 and the LCM6 was the addition of a small section I went directly to my hobby shop and bougth Italery´s LCM3.

I apologize if I am doing something wrong since I have just sign in. I have been reading the posts since a few moths and now I´ve decided to become a member.

I got hook to the brown water navy when I saw a few models made by a fellow modeller (Borrachero) in Spain. He made them from scratch and has won many awards in Spain and outside.

I have the plans of the PACV that were published in an spanish magazine. The model was made by Borrachero and the plans were taken after it. If you are interested in them contact me.

Thanks in advance.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Model Shipwrights: 171 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 09:19 PM UTC
Anmoga - now THAT is a coincidence! I met Borrachero at a model show in Coruña and he had one of his monitors and a couple of his scratch-built PACVs - like you, I got 'bitten' by the bug as well...Jim

¡Y Bienvenido a Armorama Anmoga!
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 03:17 AM UTC
Thank´s for the welcome Jim.

I have talked to him a few times and under his influence I have started scratchbuilding some things. That´s the problem of being an AMS. I have many projects that are stopped because I don´t have a photo of that detail or because I don´t know the measurements of that other thing.

My name is Ángel. I am from Seville but right now I am living in Madrid. I´ve lived very little in Seville and probably sooner than I think I´ll go outside Spain again. When I was a child I lived in Indonesia for eight years and in Turkey for two years. I would like to work in China (that´s why I´m learning chinese) or any other country of South-East Asia.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 09:20 AM UTC
Howdy fellas, anmoga,

Thx for noticing my thread. As far as "schematics" go, I don't really have any......sincerely wish I did.
But alas, I am in the same boat (pardon the pun) as you in that regard. I am trying my darndest to create this conversion based simply on a handful of photograph's.......
I suppose if I lived within 'walkabout' distance from my mate 'Roo, I'd have this whole photo-to-reality 'thing' figured out, but since unfortunately I live halfway 'round the world from 'Roo, and more than a days ride from either Gunnie or animal.......I guess I'm stuck.

I have been asked to expand this thread into something more along the lines of an 'Article'. To (if it winds up having any 'value' in the end) hopefully offer up some pointers to those who are interested in both the Brown Water Navy boats, and/or Vietnam modeling in general......with of course a wee bit of 'scratching' thrown in to add flavour to the recipe...
So, if you are still interested Angel, please stay tuned.

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 11:58 AM UTC
Howdy again fellas,

Ya know, one of the 'things' about posting to a thread where most of the blokes paying attention to it are just "paying attention" to it and not yakking back at ya is that, you begin to think you're just talking to yourself..........but hey, that's alright......I'm rarely listened to anyway........

to Lagumiles: First, a hearty and warm welcome to the site! Glad to have ya hangin' around.......you'll have loads of fun with these blokes!
Now, to your post.....when I first read it, I couldn't make any sense of it (you hadn't properly posted your pic). But what's really funny, is that, just like jimbrae's remark "...Anmoga - now THAT is a coincidence!..." I too have a coincidence.
I was up quite late last night ref-surfing for LCM photos, and ya know what I found that I thought would illustrate my 'researched' placement of the added hull section on my LCM?.........the very pic you just posted!
Yep. The unpainted section in that photo correlates exactly with my researched placement of the addendum hull addition.........how about that?......I'm happy.

But. To move on.
I've built up the added section (mentioned above) into a 'Master' configuration. Meaning, I'm going to consider making 'dupes' of the extra hull piece that would turn the lower hull of the LCM (3) into the more accurate (especially for the box art) LCM (6). I 've already started on both the extra floatation buldges, which are mounted 'saddlebag' style on later 'Tango's'. And I've also finally gotten the final piece of the schematic puzzle pertaining to ensuring the accuracy of my alterations. With any luck, it will all fall together.
An observation if I may?
Even though my time spent researching this wee project has been rather lengthy, it does make me wonder just how much the larger corporations like Tamiya, Italeri, or Trumpeter spend trying to get their new kit offerings right?
I mean, a major mistake like depicting the LCM (3) disgorging an M4A1(3) Sherman tank onto the beach and hiring a talented artist to paint a picture showing this rather inaccurate portrayal is kind of a Simpson "D'oh!"......one would think,

Tread.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 09:24 PM UTC
For those that HAVEN'T seen it before, here is the NIMIX Monitor....Jim

Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 09:30 PM UTC
I once talked to the guy who did the master and told me that he did something wrong. I´m not sure if it was the zone where the commander structure and the turrets are.

Borrachero also told me that the nimix kit had many cracks you need to fill.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 10:55 PM UTC
....beeing the main crack in your wallet!!!

I have been looking around this model for a few years, and I must say that the price is a highly dis-motivating issue!!
€400, more or less US$500 is a lot of money to justify to the wife!!

It would be nice if Tamiya would continue their Riverine Forces - excellent quality for a reasonable price....

Well Gordon, as I told you before I admire your courage and I'm looking forward to see the result!
For future generations, an article (if possible, with scale drawings of the improvements/new parts) with pictures of the various steps would be most welcome...

Give it a thought!
Consider it as a motivation for others

Skipper

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 11:54 PM UTC
Here's a couple more...Jim

Oh, Rui - the Monitor is 'only' €306.68 - a bargain

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2004 - 12:13 AM UTC
Jim...

Oh... silly old me!!! Much cheaper then :-) :-)
(I'm really jocking - I have a good sense of humour)

Perhaps it's a fair price for the amount of resin and PE included, but I my opinion is still an expensive item

Skipper

My main interest are subs (1/32 1/35 1/72 and smaller, but I stop at 1/350) and was trilled about Andrea's 1/35 VII-C untill reached the price....

I was able to buy an Accurate Armour VII-C (waterline), used, but not started, and complete for US$200!
So it's a question to wait, or getting a big jar and put my Euro coins every day into it... maybe in a couple of years I'll get the amount necessary!! :-) :-)

And them Alexandra, my wife, ask me:
- Why don't we go on an exotic vacations with all this money that you gathered??
I don't have the heart to refuse an offer like this

Just therapy
Yes my name is Rui and I am a Modelholic!!!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2004 - 02:37 AM UTC
Howdy all BWN fans,

Thx for the Nimix photos jimbrae. I'm glad to see the kit in it's 'raw' form. But, based on your pics, I have a question.
I was under the impression that the 'stand-off' bar armour was also made of resin?....in your photos they appear made of brass. Which are they?
Because, if the answer's brass, then that would drastically affect the final price of the kit..
In my feeble attempts at leaning towards building this project as a potential 'conversion' kit, one of my considerations is what the final price of the conversion kit would wind up at. And believe me, that much brass stand-off applique armour would be prohibitive indeed!

to Anmoga: I must admit to being at least somewhat envious of your chat with this 'Borracherro' fella. It would seem that he would be a valuable source of intel on the subject of BWN boats....
You also mentioned that he said there was "something wrong" with the command/turrets section. This, I suppose, is a possibility. But since there were at least a couple of variantions of this structure that I've been able to uncover, not counting the early French versions of this boat, I think the 'probability' of any major errors is rather small.
In fact, some of these varations on the Tango, or ATC boat for example are so diverse and interesting, that it really reminds me of all of the 'variations on a theme' that the Sherman tank is capable of.

to skipper: Again, many thx for your continued encouragement, and words of praise. When you're deep into scratching this or that, and the 'fires' of frustration start to rise, words of encouragement from your modeling compadre's can be a dandy extinguisher.
Tread.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2004 - 02:42 AM UTC
They ARE made of brass -and that as Tread pointed out, will raise the price considerably...Jim
Kancali
Vendor
KANCALI
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2004 - 03:41 AM UTC
in regards to the rebar standoff armor - my LHS has steel wire (piano wire?) that is cheaper than brass and Ive been able to glue it to styrene with standard Quick tite super glue. Good selection of guages; might that work for the rebar instead of brass? I cant tell from the Monitor pics if the rebar is fastened between the vertical supports or attached across the face. If attached across the face the steel wire comes in about 2 ft pieces, it seems you could just lay it across the face of the support?
Neat project.. keep up the good work.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Model Shipwrights: 97 posts
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2004 - 03:44 AM UTC
the Piano wire is a better (cheaper) option...... It should work well!!!
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2004 - 04:37 AM UTC
Another input:

The Portuguese Navy, during the '60s and '70s had also a modified LCM (3), for river combat / support to the Portuguese Marines (Fuzileiros) in Guinea-Bissau, Mozambique and Angola. It consisted in a "normal LCM (3) with an 20mm Oerlikon just in front of the wheel house. The rest of the cargo area was ususaly covered with a tube frame and covered with canvas!
I had my "Naval Driving Lessons" aboard one of these in 86.

Skipper
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Model Shipwrights: 47 posts
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2004 - 06:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Alan...no worries, I knew you were kidding (hence my 'winking' smiley).

But I'm still not sure your deckrail would accept anything not wearing tracks...

Tread.

My deckrail has seen tires from softskins before so it is not strictly for tracks!!

However given that the rail is flat and the bottom of the hull is not completely flat there may be a problem with watercraft. Just might have to do the unthinkable for a sailor,,, put the little boat on the back of a Dragon Wagon.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 08:20 PM UTC
Now here is a nice version of the LCM (6) - it was taken a the IPMS Show at Telford, so I can only link it...Jim

LCM PIC
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 10:59 PM UTC
Great Dio and excellent weathering!
You almost can feel the heath and the damp on the air

Skipper
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 03:28 AM UTC
Howdy fellas,

Thx for finding this pic Jim. She really is a stunning dio....and as skipper just so accurately said, you can 'feel' the oppressive heat and humidity.......nice work.

Here's the pic saved and resized so everyone can see it......

Tread.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 05:07 AM UTC
When I first saw the pic, I thought (stupid!!!!) that the action was in Nam, but on a most calm and trying to see more details it's a WWII dio, since there's a Japanese Navy flag on top of the jerricans...

Hummm
The painting scheme is a BWN...
The dio is defenitly BWN... or WWII

????

Is this a trick to see if we are awake?

Skipper

Any Ideas how to solve this question