_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
BWN 'Tango' Boat project: need references...
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 11:49 AM UTC
Howdy skipper,

I must admit to at least a few seconds of indecision on my part trying to decern it's setting. But that's mainly because I've been deeply focused on 'Nam era LCM applications.......my failing.

And actually, after I quickly figured out it was indeed WW II Pacific Theatre inspired, I became even more impressed!
Really superb work.

But now you have just cast a light on something that I did indeed miss......the LCM has 3-colour camoflage!
Man.....now I'm really thinking!....Maybe it's my ignorance of matters 'Pacific'....but, does anyone know of, heard of, seen pictures of a 3-colour camo paint scheme used on LCM's?.......or any Pacific Theatre seabourne vehicle??????

Bloody good catch skipper!!

Tread.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 11:26 PM UTC
Hi Gordon!!

Although (and I constantly say this) my main interest are subs, other areas of interest "drop by", mainly those who are produced in my dearest scales: 1/35 or 1/32 and 1/72! So landing crafts are in this "package"!!

In my references, and I've checked yesterday evening, I have found several pictures of LCM's, LCVP's in the Pacific Theather, and several shades of Grey, and Blueish have been found!! But no camouflaged LCM!

I'm not saying that I have every reference, but it's strange that this type of camo never appeard once...
Perhaps it wasn't common, or maybe was made on the spot for a special mission.... Hummmm

But, damn!!! It's an awsome Dio!!!!
I wish....

Skipper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 11:18 AM UTC
Gordon, I am getting into this post very late in the game and my contribution is probably nil. I know extremely little about Riverine operations, a situation I plan to remedy soon. I am aware that Squadron released a paperback of Brown Water Navy / Riverine operations in Viet Nam a long time ago.SS 6041 is the stock number and it was listed in their just released 2005 catalog. May be of some use and you probably have already researched it. But never assume
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 05:38 AM UTC
Howdy Steve,

Thx for the Squadron 'Riverine' suggestion. It's a mighty good book, and I already have it as a reference source.

I've got a decent collection of sites and books now, all showing an 'O.K.' handful of useable photograph's......the best by far was the line schematics that our good matt ferreted out for me. (A big TY matt ). Even though I'd already enlarged something to use as a template, the schematics were indeed useful for both confirmation purposes, and further reference.

Having finished the 'Master' for the hull addendum section, I am now working on the main cargo wall/floor, and main deck extensions.......again, with a 'Master' in mind. Once this is done, the rest of the conversion will consist of scratching up all original pieces for both the original 'Tango' configuration I had planned, and now the 'Monitor' / CCB Boat configurations I have added to the 'mix'.

My 'scratching' confidence level has risen considerably as of late.....mainly because of both the positive influence's I've received from the people here, and, through the warm and supportive encouragement you fellas dish out..........for that, thx.

Stay tuned........

Tread.
 _GOTOTOP