_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Future Battleship Campaign ?
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 06:23 AM UTC
Now that the Dive! Dive! Dive! Campaign is well underway, I have been thinking about a new future Campaign for Battleships. The grand ladies of the sea! I have to admit, I'm a Battleship kind of a guy. That being my favorite warship to model, and the most interesting to me. And if the interest is there for a Battleship campaign, I would like to have some input and idea's for subject matter. It would be nice to have a open campaign as far as scale , nations and era are concerned. Variety would make it a fun build!
For instents, Battleships of WW-2. But it is realy open for idea's!
Battleships are a thing of beauty, power, and awesome size that will never be seen again. Thats what makes them so fasinating to me!
So all you salty modelers, is there any interest in a future campaign like this ?

Regards,

Garry
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 09:48 AM UTC
You know I'm in for this one. Of course you are just in the feeler stage as I am so tied down with this monster sub that' it will probably be in February before I begin to see the light of day on this one. Besides, Trumpeter's NC is not due out until April or May, though I do have a Bismarck I am still gathering material for. Right now I'm researching the Lex/Sara carriers to see how difficult it is going to be to backdate them. I also have some M-60 tanks that are begging for a new member for the collection. I have been steadily campainging since last March, so lets keep this one back for a bit.At least until after close date for the Dive campaign
Gaucho
Visit this Community
Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
KitMaker: 416 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 10:56 AM UTC
Hi Garry
If nothing changes, you can count with me in this campaign. I really was planning to build the Tirpitz or another big ship like the Battlecruiser Scharnhorst this year. I think the finish line would be better in the beginning of 2006 or after that. Just a opinion.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 10:58 AM UTC
Hi Steve!
Yeah I'm not in any rush for this one. I'm still involved with three campaigns myself! I was thinking more like a start of around late spring or early summer. Plenty of time to plan ahead. Though like you said, this is just to see if there is any interest. ( )

Garry
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Model Shipwrights: 21 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 11:17 AM UTC
I would be interested if you include 1/350th scale. I have always had an interest in building a Tamiya New Jersey or Missouri.

A late Spring or Summer start time at the earliest would be ideal to me also.

garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 11:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would be interested if you include 1/350th scale. I have always had an interest in building a Tamiya New Jersey or Missouri.

A late Spring or Summer start time at the earliest would be ideal to me also.

Howdy Brent!
Yes 1/350 would be great, that is the scale I build in lately. Though I build in all scales, I am planning on either a Heller 1/400 Richelieu or a Tamiya 1/350 Missouri. I like the idea of a campaign where all scales are aloud.

Cheers,

Garry
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 535 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 11:58 AM UTC
This is a good idea, I have the Bismarck setting in the to build pile I picked up this past Christmas. I think any battle ship from any era should be allowed as long as it's a Battleship or it's forefather like one of the big gun ships of yesteryear. (HMS Victory or the like.)

Dave
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 12:06 PM UTC
Absulutley Dave, I agree any battleship from any era should be welcome. Sounds like a fun build!

Garry
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Model Shipwrights: 47 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 12:07 PM UTC
I plotted all the campaigns onto a calendar and there are 17 campiagns running until May 2005. May I suggest this one not start until after May. There are only 3 campaigns running from June to the end of the year.
Cougar
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 266 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 12:52 PM UTC
Sounds like fun... I'm in

Cougar
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 01:03 PM UTC
Since I've been stung by the "Sea-bee" and since I've never built one, I'd be in...would rather it not be until later in the year though, but whatever....
Puma112
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
Model Shipwrights: 15 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 01:13 PM UTC
Gents,

I like the idea also, but was thinking/hoping late summer too.

Tracy
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 01:51 PM UTC
Wow, showing some good interest here! I like it! Seems as though we are swamped with campaigns untill after May, and thats alright. I think starting a date from june to the late July time frame would be great.
And as this will be a Campaign with some pretty extensive builds, A long campaign would be in order. I would say lasting at least 6 months or longer. This say if one is building a Tamiya Bismarck, you are not going to want to be rushed. So the time frame will be lengthly. LOL! I'm getting excited already!

Garry
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 902 posts
Model Shipwrights: 105 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 01:57 PM UTC
Shhhhhhhh Don't tell Tread but I have bought a Banner / Trumpeter 1/350th Arizona. I would Love a campaign but, I too would need a late summer early fall start date. I am involved in DDD, Seeing Red, and Medic I hope will be approved.
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 315 posts
Model Shipwrights: 145 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 03:32 PM UTC
Count me in...

I've been looking for a good excuse to build something for the '05 Nationals in Atlanta...so...you guys can decide for me, how's that sound?. Here's what I have in my inventory in resin...

Tom's Modelworks

USS West Virginia,
USS Pennsylvania,
USS Arizona 1941

Gulfstream

USS California

Iron Shipwrights

Alaska (I know it's a CB, not a BB, but it IS named after a state)

And in plastic:

Tamiya

Prince of Wales
Bismarck
King George V

You guys set a start date, and tell me what I'm building!!

Jeff
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 04:32 PM UTC
Well Jeff just looking over your list there.....oow oow! I see the USS California, that be my pick for you!
And if that is the late war fit, oh my, better yet! Love that ship.

Garry
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 11:53 PM UTC
Hi Mates!

At the moment I'm in:
- Quiet Professionals (Turtle)
- Dive! Dive! Dive! (SLC200 Maiale, Hai, Marder and Type XXIII)
- Seeing Red (Kurks)

And still have to make some more modeling "thinghies" for Club Modeltroia (modeling contest in February 26th & 27th) and my own Club (AMA - Almada's Modeling Association) annual exhibition on 13th to 15th May....

Perhaps after July?

Skipper
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 05:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mates!

At the moment I'm in:
- Quiet Professionals (Turtle)
- Dive! Dive! Dive! (SLC200 Maiale, Hai, Marder and Type XXIII)
- Seeing Red (Kurks)

And still have to make some more modeling "thinghies" for Club Modeltroia (modeling contest in February 26th & 27th) and my own Club (AMA - Almada's Modeling Association) annual exhibition on 13th to 15th May....

Perhaps after July?

Skipper

Hi Rui !
After July would work. And it would be a long build, so starting time would not be so important. I look forward to having you aboard once again mate!

Garry
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 05:21 AM UTC
Can I make a Submarine that destroyed a Battleship instead?? :-) :-)

I could finish my X-Craft

Skipper
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 08:06 AM UTC
You guys are killing me, but without having the campaigns, its too easy to let the kits just sit!!!

Like everybody else, I'm interested.*

I'm closing in on finishing my Hummer for the Move It! campaign, and have committed to do two LA Class Fast Attacks for Dx3.

I've also got an M88 with some aftermarket stuff that would fit in perfectly with the Mud, Sweat and Gears, and have toyed around with doing that one after Dx3.

That said, I've had the Tamiya 1/350 Missouri sitting down in the basement for a LONG time, and have just about gathered all the aftermarket stuff you can for it. (Except for Steve Nutall's barrels and I have no doubt I'll be sending him an order for those too eventually.)

So since I'd already planned to build this ANYWAY, a campaign starting in late summer and running through until at least the end of the year and yeah, I'm game!

Tom
jeremy1072
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 10:30 AM UTC
Hey Garry, You know you can count me in. How many projects you have on the table now? Your going to be a busy man. I know this build is a long way off, it doesnt hurt to talk about it now. That way we have enough time to order our supplies and PE.
Jeff, I would love to see the West Virginia, been wanting to do that ship myself for a long time.

Jeremy
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 01:48 PM UTC
Hello Jer!
Yep, I figured you would want in on this one! Yeah I know, I always have several projects going at once. But for now I am down to only 2, The 1/72 U-boat for the DDD campaign, and the Airfix Warspite for the build on the Model fleet. I just finished two tanks for other campaigns. Glad to have you on board, I have a feeling this is going to be a large campaign!

Cheers,

Garry
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 02:48 PM UTC
I'm interested...wondering if the Kirov class BC's would count toward this build...gotta tweak on the system... :-)
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 315 posts
Model Shipwrights: 145 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 03:33 PM UTC
Ok, one vote for WeeVee, one vote for California (1941)...of course, by the time this starts, HMS Hood will be out...maybe we should add in battlecruisers...

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP