_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
A Tale of Two Ships
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 03:26 PM UTC
Those of you who've seen the posting of the USS New Jersey I made entitled "To Get You Primed" may recall the later comments in regards to a shot that Garry posted from the Navy archives...well, as Paul Harvey woud say, "Now, the rest of the story"

I spoke to my father in law today, and the reason that the Navy archives photo looks like it was taken at the same time and same place as his, is because it was. In fact, it was taken from the same boat.

At the time he (my father in law) was assigned to the 36 boat and a Navy photographer tagged along. The 36 boat was tasked to provide security for the New Jersey while it shelled targets 25 miles inland and the photographer took the photo that came from the Navy archives at that time. He told me that each of the boat crew were suppose to receive a copy, but never did. However, he had is own shot.

He also told me that the photographer wanted the boat officer to take the 36 boat in closer and along broadside while the New Jersey fired. The boat officer refused, the photographer tried to pull rank and the boat officer told him where he could stick it, it was his boat.

And now you know, the rest of the story.

garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 03:41 PM UTC
Steven, thanks for posting this. Its all good stuff! I had the feeling the two photo's came from the same place , time and direction. But I never thought of the same boat! Well now we have it. Awesome story Steven!

Cheers ,

Garry
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 01:16 AM UTC
Hi Steve!!

Thanks for sharing that spicy story of coincidences!
Small world

Skipper
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 04:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Steve!!

Thanks for sharing that spicy story of coincidences!
Small world

Skipper

Remember what you said about the internet? Now, would have you been able to learn the background of that Navy Archives photo with out it? Better yet, would I've known about the existence of the archive photo...probably not.

Cool mode of communication...huh?

And if wasn't for the net...I woulsn't have met you guys and developed a penchant for naval subjects.

tschuss
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 08:14 AM UTC
wow....ain't that something
 _GOTOTOP