_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Why so much interest in WW-2 warships?
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 04:42 PM UTC
This question was asked on another site resently. But it made me think, why is there more interest in WW-2 warships rather then all the other era's?

For me, and most others I suppose, Its a combonation of history, pride and personality. Yes to me WW-2 warships have a personality. Most were in service for a long period of time. And as time moved on, through the men that served on them, there history they made and there one of a kind looks, they formed there own personality! Also, I have often wondered how such a huge and powerful war machine as the Battleship could be a thing of beauty? But they realy are! There power and sleek forms make them look magestic! (kinky huh?) They are beauties to me. And YES, they got big guns! I like anything with big guns.
I have never had a interest in modern warships. I have tried! I have started several modern ships, but never could finish them. I just lost interest!
You know come to think of it, its not just warships! But rather all military modeling. Aircraft, Armor and I suppose figures to. All seem to be most interested in modeling in the WW-2 era! History indeed seems to be the overwhelming drive of which era one builds in.
All to there own, and we all are brought together here at Armorama for the joy of military modeling, historic and modern!

Regards,

Garry
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 05:55 PM UTC
For me, I have two views. One the romantic side when two navies engaged in a desperate battle and exchanging broadsides. Again, the epic apsect of history. The other, the more based in reality one, is the role that the warships played in shaping world history. He who had the capital ships dictated to the rest of the world....just ask TR. So much so, it resulted in being a focal point in the Washington Conference of 1921. The results of that treaty would be felt in 1941. Furthermore, it helped pave the way for the increased development and production of carriers.

Bit long winded and bookish...but there it is for me.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 12:19 AM UTC
For me, as you all know, I am a big submarine fan - from the beggining of the first steps of Underwater warfare to the Last boomers, but I must say that the ones that make me "click" are definitly WWII subjects!

It was a critical period with two main different areas of action: the Atlantic and the Pacific, and it is so interesting to see how different mentalities made so different results.
The actions in the Mediterranean Sea are at a complitely diffrent scale but also interesting to know!

The KM U-boots almost breack the feeding line betwen the east and west atlantic coast; They had great tactics and a commander who understood the needs and the best tactics. Improvement in the U-boot technology was so good that the Diesel-Electric submarines of today are still the result of that time evolution (Type XXI and XXIII).
The IJN saw the submarine weapon as a support to the fleet, although they had good subs, strange subs and "desperate" subs. At the time the bigger submarine ever made was Japanese (I-400).
The US Navy boats on the other hand, had full support of the Admiral in charge and where the backbone of the turn of the tide, making the navigation lines not safe for Japanese merchants (Maru's) and IJN Vessels.

I didn't mention the Royal Navy or the Regia Marina (and other small navys), but I could say that even within this "small world" of Submarine Warfare during WWII, this two had some of the most fantastic and courageous missions!
As I said in the beggining of this post, I am into Submarines, but on this vast subject there's one branch that I really really like: Midget Submarines and Manned Torpedoes!

The men that manned this crafts where real Knights!
Just imagine to be inside (or outside!!!!) a small, cramped and (sometimes) not so reliable machine, to go unseen and sometimes without seeing, to make attacks on a so much bigger oponent!!
I am now thinking of the Royal Navy attacks on the Tirpitz using X-Craft midget submarines and the X-MAS (Decima MAS) attacks on Gibraltar and Alexandria harbours using the manned torpedoes SLC 200 Maiale...
Very weird machines - very brave and sometimes desperate, Crew members!!

Appart from this "Submarine Fury" there's also more WWII Naval events and vessels that I really enjoy!
The Graaf Spee run - with all the vessels involved!
The Bismark, the Yamato and the Mighty MO battleships! Aircraft Carriers (all of them)...
Pearl Harbour, Battle of Midway, Iron Bottom Sound Battle - near Guadalcanal, the Battle of the Atlantic are just a few of this things that made me Join the Portuguese Navy!
This and the call of the Sea!

So, as a wrap up: independent of the "beauty" of the vessel involved, I tend to get hooked on the actions - sometimes a very ugly subject can turn out to be a magnificent one!!
Perhaps I shouldn't read that much )

Skipper
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 02:44 AM UTC
Good thoughts on the subject Rui ! And once again history plays a big role in ones modeling.
I forgot to mention that from what I have seen while in the DDD campaign , I would say just by observing that modern submarines are more popular. But In looking at the available kits on the market, there are realy not that many WW-2 kits to choose from. Most of the kits being modern. So this would be a factor why more modern subs are built! I noticed that once a good WW-2 sub comes available , the interest in that subject climbs! Like the 1/72 ROG VIIC U-boat for example. So I think that Submarines are just like all warship models. Its the WW-2 history that motivates us to build and study in the WW-2 era.

Interesting indeed!

Garry
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Perhaps I shouldn't read that much )
Skipper

I disagree Skip,

I think that the best part of all of this is learning the history and then armed with the knowledge, connect the dots and look back and forward to see the evolution and anticipate the next.

What I've come to love is to trace these "evolutions" (which is an accurate term to use when you think of it as changes and the adaptations to the changes.) from the masted ships right up to to Big Mo. In fact your comments struck a chord with me and I tend to approach this much in the same way as you.

With that, I say READ ON!

Steve The Bookworm

Great topic Garry! We should have these often!

I love the "what makes you tick questions"

I really love this place.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 04:04 AM UTC
Hi Steve!!!

I was jocking, really!!!
I think I could never stop reading/searching/analysing books, magazines, web articles... the LOT!!

Reading is fun and if you have a narrowed "target" (like I do) you'll found that you learn a lot and things start to make sense! And also... wherever you go on vacations, when you arrive home there's a 100% probability of bringing more that one book on subs and 40% probability of a scale model

Skipper
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 04:28 AM UTC
Great input Steve and Rui !
This brings another thought to mind. For me, all I have to do is start reading about WW-1's Dogger bank or the battle of Jutland and I want to build WW-1 warships! But there are almost no kits available!
If there were kits available , I would be just as interested as I am in WW2. Then I would be reading a lot more about them! It sure is great the way history ties into our modeling. They realy do go hand and hand!

Garry
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 05:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would be just as interested as I am in WW2. Then I would be reading a lot more about them! It sure is great the way history ties into our modeling. They realy do go hand and hand! Garry

This is why I'm building so many models for the library. It is my hope that when they see the models it will prompt questions and make them want to learn more....and read more.

In May I'll provide the library with a boatload of rockets from the Mercury to Saturn V as a focus on manned space flight history. Then will come the subs. This fall I'll run another display on WWII....see why I'm building the Arizona and Bismarck?

You're right about history and models go hand in hand. Here in land locked Kansas it's hard to imagine what life may have been like on a British Man O War, by just reading about it, but when you look at a model of one it can give you a better understanding.

Skipper, I knew you were joking...it's cool.

SteveNuttal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 94 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 08:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This brings another thought to mind. For me, all I have to do is start reading about WW-1's Dogger bank or the battle of Jutland and I want to build WW-1 warships! But there are almost no kits available!
If there were kits available

Garry

But there are some out there; and they are quite good; I sell lots of Konig barrels for the 1/350th kits
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 09:06 AM UTC
Personally for me, I have a great interest in all things Naval. Going back to the great naval battles in the Meditterranean in ancient Greek, Egyptian, and Roman times. I still love to watch Ben-Hur and CLeopatra. I love the broadside era the sight of the two great frigates squaring off..I have sevearl prints hanging in my home depicting these battles. The civil war era with the advent of the ironclads, WW1- JUTLAND everything even up till today fascinates me. As to modleing, well I did a couple of sailing ships and won't tackle that again...now if I were to win the LOTTO, I'ld sure pay a master to make me a bunch of those big wooden beauties. I agree, I would die to get tons of those early battleships, unfortuneatly there is only one class of large scale the Konig Class (3 kits with different names) No Bayern or Defflinger or British subjets. So why WW-2....there are more of 'em..I also have the modern carriers and a frigate.and plan to pick up a NJ modern soon.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 01:43 PM UTC
Howdy Steve!
Talking about wood ship kits, a friend of mine is giving me a couple of his wood ships that are about 60% finished. It will be interesting to see what I can do with them! I never had the guts to start one myself, so this will tell me if I am model savy enough to tackle these beautiful old ships!

Cheers,

Garry
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 01:58 PM UTC
Simple, the WW2 ships had charcter. Today's McFrigates are very plain.
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Model Shipwrights: 134 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 02:05 PM UTC
Garry said:
This question was asked on another site resently. But it made me think, why is there more interest in WW-2 warships rather then all the other era's?

Personally, I prefer the Age of Fighting Sail -- Wooden Ships & Iron Men -- 1750-1820 -- specifically the Royal Navy. My library is chock full of books on the subject - novels, histories, references. Just too darn much work to build 'em !! One day, my bench will be clear & I'll drag down my Heller Victory. I like 'em because the modern stuff is just a bunch of steel & you can't see or even feel how the ship works, the mechanics are all inside -- you build an old frigate, you have it all right there, the guns, the rigging, the masts/spars, boats, anchors, pulleys & blocks & everything -- and if you study all that close enough you can't help but admire what they knew & did centuries ago -- wind & water & muscle & mechanical advantage.

Next in line are the WW2 RN & RCN Flower Class Corvettes, which probably are 2nd place in my count of naval books. Everything else is interesting, but sorry, just doesn't get my heart thumpin'.

John
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 02:46 PM UTC
You got John! Its the history and modeling coming together that make this hobby so unique! Dont feel sorry about your interest in fighting sail and wood ships, there great to! The heading of my post should have said , Why is there more interest in WW-2 ships over modern? Dont know why I said all other era's. One of the reasons besides what I have mentioned why WW_2 warships are more popular is the fact that there is more WW-2 kits available! Like I mentioned to Steve, I'm about to try the wood ships myself, LOL, as if I dont have enough logs on the fire now!

Garry
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 10:13 PM UTC
In a way it makes me wish I could have been there to watch the battlefleets sail out.
For an Island nation preserved warships are few and far between in Britain. So you make them and read about them instead.
Tom
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 06:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For an Island nation preserved warships are few and far between in Britain. So you make them and read about them instead.
Tom

Which I find amazing. For a nation whose history is steeped in the naval tradition and the foundation of its empire rested on its naval power, you would imagine that a naval museum could be found on almost every corner.

I did visit the Imperial War Museum while I was there, I enjoyed it very much.

allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 10:04 AM UTC
Steve,
You should have nipped down the road to Greenwich about 3 1/2 miles down the Thames on the south side of the river (where the cutty sark is on display), and gone to the National Maritime Museum. I've not been for 15 odd years or so, but the last time I was there I picked up some leaflets and bought some 1/48 scale (I think, they're marked 1/8th inch to the foot) of various WW II warships through the post when I got home. Not exactly cheap but the internet wasn't what it is now.
So, if you ever cross the pond again you know where to go.
Tom
 _GOTOTOP