_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Aircraft Carriers anyone?
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 04:27 PM UTC
Flattops or Aircraft carriers, there has been some talk lately of a campaign for them. And I think this would be a great idea! In the future that is, there is a lot of campaign's onboard right now. But I think it would be a good follow up after the Dreadnought campaign. Like maybe late fall or early winter, i'm thinking December. This would be a great winter time build!

Now i'm just putting some feelers out there to see how many would be interested.

This would be another long build, becouse some of the Flattop kits are pretty complex and take time to build. Probably a 8 to 10 month build time.

Now there is a lot of awesome kits out there to choose from! Several new one's that realy make me drool!
Trumpeter has given us there beautiful 1/350 kits, The Hornet, Essex, Lexington(with Saratoga on the way!), The modern Nimitz! Tamiya has there 1/350 Enterprise.
I'm talking about all injected plastic kits, Resin kits are another story! In the 1/700 scale line up there is a mind boggling line up to choose from! And I feel that the 700's are a good scale for Aircraft carriers, specially for those without display space. And they are large enough that they are not to demanding.
Dragon, Tamiya, hasegawa, aoshima, Fujimi, Skywave, Trumpeter, Revell all make nice kits. And they pretty well cover about every flattop that was in service!
And talk about aftermarket detail, there is a smörgåsbord of items out there to super detail your models out with! OK I'm babbling now. But getting excited to!
Well, who all would be interested in a Flattop campaign in the future?

Happy modeling!

Garry
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 902 posts
Model Shipwrights: 105 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 04:37 PM UTC
OK OK OK Garry ...... I'm game if is it a long build time and starts very late in the year. I will try anything once. LOL.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 06:40 PM UTC
Howdy Scott!
For some reason I just knew you would be game for this! LOL! I am very glad to see you so enthused about the warship side of the hobby bud. I love it to! Though I am not 100% salty. I also like Armor and aircraft, for me they are all part of the modeling hobby! Its just that warships are my first love.

Best regards,

Garry
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 10:27 PM UTC
Now all I have to do is pick which one to use. Probably have to do the Nimitz as my sister gave it to me for Christmas, and I know she wants to see me build it. I've already added 3 more aircraft sets, got the GMM PE set and the update decal set for the deck...I'm just needing a reference book got a beautiful 3 foot long poster of the Abe Lincoln to use as a reference
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 - 01:54 AM UTC
Hi Steve!
That Trump Nimitz is going to be a great build. Do you know what era you will be building her in?
I plan on building the Trumpeter 1/350 Hornet with all the bells and whisles at the time of the Doolittle raid. This will be my first 1/350 carrier!

Cheers,

Garry
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 - 08:04 AM UTC
Another campaign, yikes! My modeling budget is gonna be stretched to the breaking point for dreadnoughts already!!!! I would be game if it started sometime early-mid 2006, but late 2005 I am not sure if I would have the time or the money. The biggest probglem would be time since i go off to college next year and will only be able to build when i come home for vacation and my plate will probably still be full with dreadnoughts.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 - 12:19 PM UTC
I decided to go ahead and do her as a Phantom flyer and bought two more boxes of phantoms, 1 intruder and 1 corsair to augment airwing. 8-10 months to build one model ????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I figure 3 months on this one, mainly due to airwing, even then, I'll assemble aircraft put them all on a strip of tape and then spray them with the light gull gray. Maybe it's because I plan in detail what I am going to do, gather up all materials and when the start of campaign hits, it's just me and that model. I mean there are other hobbies I do and job (sometimes lately) and family etc. But I work for an hour or so at a time ,except on weekends where I loose track of time. Found myself going to bed at 5am on Friday and Satuday while working on my M-60a1
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 - 02:37 PM UTC
Thats what this thread is all about Steve. To try to achieve a balance of what everyone wants in a Carrier campaign. I agree, 8 or 10 months is a long time! And it can be shorter. My Trump Hornet was a gift from a bunch of my modeling mates. These guys went all out for me! There is two or three pe sets included, Extra sets of B-25's(you know that! ) All the correct WEMS paint colors, and even 1/350 figures!
So I wanted to make sure I had enough build time to do this kit justis! I think 4 to 6 months would be more sane. So we can sit around the campfire here on armorama and talk about it.

Cheers,

Garry
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 - 03:04 PM UTC
Garry 10 months would suit me the best. Its all new to me and time would be the best thing. I'll try something different. 1/350 USSR Admiral Kuznetsov aircraft carrier by Trumpeter

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 12:36 AM UTC
Well it's good to see another campaign building up!

As far as I am concern, my entry in the Dreadnought Campaign is on, and also there was a talking about a BWN or Vietnam era Campaign for January 2006.

The Flat top Campaign is also a valuable one and I will enter it - still don't know what my entry will be, but probably a 1/700 IJN

Skipper
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 09:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Garry 10 months would suit me the best. Its all new to me and time would be the best thing. I'll try something different. 1/350 USSR Admiral Kuznetsov aircraft carrier by Trumpeter

My that is a good looking carrier! They look pretty cool with that upswept bow. Hmmm, you trying to get me in trouble again Scott?

About the lenth of the campaign, when the time comes, I think the only fair way is to vote on it. Everyone has different thoughts. In the past voting on this type of thing seems to have worked out well!
We have plenty of time to work things out. Thats what this threads all about!
Cheers amigo ,

Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 12:29 PM UTC

".......and also there was a talking about a BWN or Vietnam era Campaign for January 2006......"

Whoa!...Whoa!...Whoa.....what's this about a BWN Campaign!?!.......who in Hades brought this idea up?........was it me?.....or have I just missed this one?

I am a MASSIVE Brown Water Navy fan......so if there's going to be a Campaign for this one...I'M IN!!!!
I'll run it......I'll help run it......I'll sweep the floors around it.....I'll even yak with Garry about it ( )......geeeeeeez, what I'll do for a BWN Campaign......... :-)

Tread.

But I'm not waitin' till '06.........
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 02:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

".......and also there was a talking about a BWN or Vietnam era Campaign for January 2006......"

Whoa!...Whoa!...Whoa.....what's this about a BWN Campaign!?!.......who in Hades brought this idea up?........was it me?.....or have I just missed this one?

I am a MASSIVE Brown Water Navy fan......so if there's going to be a Campaign for this one...I'M IN!!!!
I'll run it......I'll help run it......I'll sweep the floors around it.....I'll even yak with Garry about it ( )......geeeeeeez, what I'll do for a BWN Campaign......... :-)

Tread.

But I'm not waitin' till '06.........

I believe it was Skipper and in the wake of a photo I posted of the New Jersey off the Vietnam coast in 68 (which by the way guys the New Jersey has been a major topic of discussion within the swift boat sailors this week...lots of on deck photos (sorry I can't post them their not mine)..lot of guys remember that day it seems) Anyway, I think it's an awesome idea. I have two swifts that I can build for it (though both boats I'll be doing were coastal...but I want build a monitor too.

So, that said...I don't want to wait until 06 either!
We want it now
We want it now
We want it now
Puma112
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
Model Shipwrights: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 02:52 PM UTC
OK I'll bite too! Have a list of flat tops that need to get done.

Tracy

95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 03:24 PM UTC
I have those Heller Foch and Clemenceau kits I could do, but what I've been itching to do is a Hornet with the Doolittle Raiders.

Depending on the time frame, you could count me in.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 12:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I believe it was Skipper (...)

True!
It was me who throw the first stone!!

Please go to:
Treadheads Brown water navy Campaign!

..and write your feelings about my proposals!
I have explained my thinking, but majority rules and I can accept that

Skipper
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
Model Shipwrights: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 12:52 AM UTC
Let's do it. I have one to build. What is the time frame.
Recon
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 01:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let's do it. I have one to build. What is the time frame.
Recon

Howdy Mike!
This will be a future campaign, for right now it is just in the planning stages. No dates have been set yet, but will probably be late this year or early 2006.
There is a Battleship campaign called Dreadnoughts that will start on August 1 , 2005 and run untill April 1, 2006 if you are interested. The Carrier build will follow this one.

HTH

Garry

Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 05:01 AM UTC
Yeah sure why not :-) I'd join....submarines, battleships, and now aircraftcarriers...I've got to find new space for those ships :-)

Early 2006 or very very late 2005 sounds good to me!

Martin
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 379 posts
Model Shipwrights: 43 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 07:54 AM UTC
count me in!
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 10:47 AM UTC
I'm in...I got carriers to get done in both scales...and I am in progress with the Tamiya Enterprise 1/350 kit...for about 12 years now. Maybe I can do two?
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 03:13 PM UTC
My that is a good looking carrier! They look pretty cool with that upswept bow. Hmmm, you trying to get me in trouble again Scott?

Sure Garry! She sure is pretty isn't she. I Like the fact that she is a unusual subject. I have never ventured into this big a project but who knows, it could be a real fun long term build.

Jacques LOL Not 12 years long I hope!
 _GOTOTOP