_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Sugestions for BrownWaterNavy Campaign
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 - 05:40 AM UTC
Hi all!

I've been thinking about the Campaign name and specs...
I wouldn't like to call it only:
Brown Water Navy Campaign
Riverine Forces Campaign
Vietnamese Waters Campaign
or (at last)
The Blue and Brown Waters of Vietnam

This campaign would be for Navy vessels (from LSSC's to BB's) that entered the conflict.
Any scale, any medium, any maker and opened for scratchbuilders too.

Display models or Dioramas are most welcome

Campaign start would be October 1st, 2005 and would end on April 2nd, 2006 - to skip april fools!!
Would you think that six months is enough?

Feedbacks are welcome!!

Skipper

EDIT: I have edited the dates, on sugestion by Steve... And this is just to get things moving in a proper way - we've talked earlyer about it - it's time to see if we've got the strenght to turn it into a real Campaign
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 - 05:45 AM UTC
Did I miss something..another discussion?
These dates are in 2006...right? Or, has it been moved up to this year?
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 - 07:02 AM UTC
Howdy skipper,

Put simply, I'm on board for anything you have in mind for BWN / Riverine Force subject matter.
I'm working on several projects that are BWN related, including looking to pick up the Swift Boat 1/48th scale re-release kit (I'm assembling reference photos for that right now). Plus some braille scale fiddling around.....

Since you have been so kind as to entitle this thread a "Suggestions" thread, my only personal input would be this;
I don't mind including the wider reaching potential of regular Navy subjects that performed support for the BWN, since it feeds into my personal request that in an effort to maybe expand the reach of the participant enlistment in this potential Campaign we also consider including the Navy Seawolves.
These courageous men are one of the least represented heroes of that conflict, and I think at least an attempt at including them in the 'mix' would be a honourable endeavour to be sure. But the call is up to you skip, just please consider it, O.K.?

Tread.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 - 07:28 AM UTC
Ok..this year...I'm on board too! Along with the Dreadnought Campaign.

I'll be there with my PCF.

Wonder if you can buy Zantac in bulk?

We've enough strength I think Skip, I think the turnout for DDD and Dreadnoughts is a good sign
Elad
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 - 08:20 AM UTC
name suggestion:

Vietnam Yacht Club or something else revolving around the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club motive.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 - 02:01 PM UTC
Wow! This place is Rockin! Ok ok, I'm in to! I have a little brown water in my veins to ya know. All of what you mentioned about the campaign sounds fine to me Rui. Bring it on!
Now if I can talk you all into joining the Tank Destroyers campaign we would be even!LOL! :-) :-) :-)

Yo Ho Ho my head!

Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 - 02:24 PM UTC
:-)

Ohhh Garry....you slay me! (and that has nothing to do with your avatar )

For what it's worth pard', I've been doin' some searching for a properly 'unique' potential entry for your Tank Destroyer Campaign........just haven't found it yet.....or that BIG bottle of No-Doz!....

Tread.

EDIT: One of the reasons I am requesting the Seawolves be included in this potential Campaign is because I have a project that I have been wanting to do for quite some time that involves an early interdiction role played by a particular AC-119K Gunship that was loaned to the Seawolves for a specific mission and never received any credit for it's crews efforts.
Getting an opportunity to build both the Seawolf bird, and a Navy BWN boat, would be a pleasure. A personal endulgence, but still a pleasure...
It's either that, or I just do a wee 'Gunship' Group Build. I've been thinking about doing a Helo-based gunship GB anyway........so, opening it up to both fixed wing and/or rotary wing is fine with me......heck, maybe I should consider a 'Gun'-based GB.....Guntruck's, Gunships, Gunslingers....etc....I'd pay to see a 1/35th scale dio of 'Guns-a-Go-Go's last stand built.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 - 11:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy skipper,

Put simply, I'm on board for anything you have in mind for BWN / Riverine Force subject matter.
I'm working on several projects that are BWN related, including looking to pick up the Swift Boat 1/48th scale re-release kit (I'm assembling reference photos for that right now). Plus some braille scale fiddling around.....

Since you have been so kind as to entitle this thread a "Suggestions" thread, my only personal input would be this;
I don't mind including the wider reaching potential of regular Navy subjects that performed support for the BWN, since it feeds into my personal request that in an effort to maybe expand the reach of the participant enlistment in this potential Campaign we also consider including the Navy Seawolves.
These courageous men are one of the least represented heroes of that conflict, and I think at least an attempt at including them in the 'mix' would be a honourable endeavour to be sure. But the call is up to you skip, just please consider it, O.K.?

Tread.

Ahoy Gordon!!

I am tempted to go with the Navy Seawolves in this Campaign!!

But for that I had to include all the airwings... This could turn out a bigger Campaign... and that would have to be a Full Vietnam Campaign including Air, Sea and Ground Forces - both sides!!!

This would be a huge Campaign and I think I can't handle it, right now..

Perhaps in the future I can kick the ball higher and go to one of these multi-area campaign...

Skipper
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 06:38 PM UTC
Howdy mates!
I posted a string on the general modeling forum about this future campaign to try and drum up some interest. Like Gordon(treadhead) said there, I think we need to have a campaign name that attracts interest to the Viet Nam side of modeling. I agree with Gordon that it would attract more enlistees from the Armor side of the site.
For example, Viet Nam's other highway. I'm not sure about this, but something along these lines. What do you think Troops?

Garry
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 1,735 posts
Model Shipwrights: 11 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 08:09 PM UTC
Here I am as you suggested, Garry although I find myself in unfamiliar waters as this is only my 2nd. visit to this neck of the woods.

Anyway in my other post started by Garry in General Modelling, I think Skipper's idea to draw some attention to the significant but not often known contribution by the Brown navy is an excellent one. Although as a suggestion it might be easier to get more recruits if the campaign rules be widenend a bit to include land/air units that were associated with the Brown Navy such as the SEALS for example or the Sea wolves as suggested by Treadhead.

My reasoning is that there are only so many boat models around and not all Nam enthusiasts like myself are boat builders. However, I must say I've always wanted to build one ever since my old Manxman went down to Davy Jones locker more than 2 decades ago.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 02:30 AM UTC
Howdy fellas,

I'm glad to see at least a little bit more interest in this build. Although, based upon the response count so far to this non-commital based "Suggestions" thread, I don't know if there's enough interest overall.....

Anyway, to continue.
I agree with you beachbum on slightly expanding the reach of a BWN / Riverine Campaign simply because of the rather limited building options available out there. In fact, that might be at least part of the reason for such a light turnout in regards to interest in the build. There's just not much out there which would somewhat force the potential participants to include more scratchbuilding in their efforts. And only a handful of members here feel proficient enough to attempt that type of project.....
So, possibly including the Navy Seawolves, or Seals, LRRP's, etc. might help with the available Campaign fodder.

Just a quick count off the top of my head I can come up with these potential OOB builds;

Tamiya's PBR 'Pibber'
Tamiya's 'Seal' boat
Revell's re-release 'Swift' boat

if we add the Seawolfs participation;
Hueys
CH-46

if we add Seals and/or SpecOp;
Figures(?)

So maybe there's just not enough material to work with to support a specifically Brown Water Navy build.....

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to come up with the "Negative Waves' Moriarity". I'm just trying to think about it logically.

But I will say this. The apparent lack of interest in the subject is helping me make up my mind in regards to whether I continue my work on building my own LCM / Tango /Monitor conversion build for just myself, or with a 'Master' in mind....

EDIT: Of course, 'gauging' the interest in a ship/boat conversion offering at a place called ARMORama is not entirely an accurate measure now.....is it?

Tread.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 03:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to come up with the "Negative Waves' Moriarity". I'm just trying to think about it logically.

"It's a mother beautiful bridge and it's going to be there"

IMHO, it's a bit early to throw in the towel on this altogether. However, when you look at it, there's a plethora of campaigns that will be taking place at or about the same time that will be labor and research intensive. I'm thinking of the dreadnought and carrier campaigns. In that regard, folks will have to choose which one to participate in and I think that might be drawing the numbers away from this proposal. For me it has been difficult to decide which I would like to participate in. I'd like to do both the drednought and carrier campaign, but I know I can't do all three. Not to mention Martin's Amphib operation. I would suspect that there are others in the same boat...so to speak.

That given, I'd like to propose we go back to Rui's first suggestion of making it a campaign for next year with added expansions as you and others have suggested.
The turnout for this campaign has illustrated rather well, Rui's concerns for the fragility of warships campaigns.

Again, my opinion.

342 posts and still an E-5. What's guy gotta do to get rank around here?
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 03:18 AM UTC
I see your points here Gordon. Myself first off I am a military modeler. I have interest and build in all area's, land, sea and sky. Though my main interest is in warships! I do make the mistake at times of thinking that all other modelers are this way to. But that is not right, actually it is just the opposite! Most modelers specialize in one area. And here on Armorama that specialty is Armor! So trying to get a campaign like this off the ground here is should I say, touché? I would like to see more interest in this, but it is not going that way so far. Maybe it will just take more time, all one can do is try and test the waters.
Any input on this gents? Suggestions?

Garry
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 04:00 AM UTC
Hi all!

I have to say a few things that needed to "get out of my chest"

First: I would like to thank GarryBeebe for all the force and spirit that he had put in this Campaign proposal A BIG Thank You Mate

Second: As Steve (95Bravo) so well mentioned, there is a certain "weakness" in Warship Campaings... so I will make a new proposal of the Timeline scheduled for this Campaign:
Start Date: April 1st, 2006
End Date: October 1st 2006

This way there is no overlapping of Campaigns in the Warship area, making the (possible) interest in all wet members of the Big A.

Also, I am not abble to make a full Vietnam Campaign (Air-Sea-Land).
I'll keep my point on the "The Blue and Brown Waters of Vietnam Campaign" making a lot more models that could enter!
Carriers, BB's, Gunboats (Revell's USS Defiance) and more that just the PBR's, LSSC's and Swift Boats...
You could even make a Sampan!
Sorry Gordon but I would like to keep this Campaign wet
I understand your enthusiasm, really!!

I don't want to hurt anyone - I am just defending my point of view!

Skipper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 08:59 AM UTC
I'm a big ship guy. The BB and Flat-top campaigns are right up my alley. I did the sub because of that crackerjack HUGE 72nd scale U-boat. I don't really have any interest in the Brown Water Navy, but personally I thnk if you expand it a bit to include WW 2 PT Boats, you might pick up more interest. The 72nd scale Revell S-boat and that old (now reissue) Japanese PT-15 are excelllent non expensive kits. I bought them each for under $20 (the PT 15 is a Mini hobbies ripoff of the Tamiya)And there is the venerable PT 109 (which after all this time WEM made a PE set for). I think pushing back the time frame was a good idea as most of us had decided to run the Flat-top Campaign (if that is still on) around the same time. I think that getting this one off the ground is tough because almost all of us ended up on Armorama because of our love of tanks. We are experiencing some cross over from the ship guys on Modelwarhips net, but they are big ship oriented. I don't think they do campaigns so getting some of them interested in that would be a good way to go.
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Model Shipwrights: 33 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 09:50 AM UTC
Well I don't have any campaign-experience yet, but I enlisted in(?) the burn baby burn campaign and to be honest; I can't do anything else than participate in such a Vietnam-campaign. So count me (already) in.

kind regards
Mark
 _GOTOTOP