_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
What do you think of Revell's Missouri?
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 01:46 AM UTC
In gearing up for the dreadnaught campaign, I was thinking of building the Missouri or at least purchasing one for later down the road. However, I was wondering how good of a kit it was. I was rather pleased with the quality of Revell's Arizona,bit wasn't sure if the same could be said for the Missouri.

So, is the Missouri as well molded as the Arizona? Good fit, fairly good detail without forking out a bunch money for PE sets ( minus the railings)?

Thanks for your time guys
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 02:56 AM UTC
Ahoy Steve!

I have never built the Revell Mighty Mo, but considering that it is a 1960's mold, probably the outline is right but very poor details...

You could built just for fun OOB - I still don't know what it will be, but I am pretty much "leanning" toward a Yamato or Musashi - final version

Skipper
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 03:15 AM UTC
Thanks Skipper!

I sort of wondered if that would be the case. I was concerned that the smaller items such as the guns, launches, etc., would not be very crisp or really lacked any features.

I have a Bismarck and an Arizona, but I thought there might be a considerable number of those built so I've been thinking of picking up somethimg else just in case.

I sent a note to Ray Leathers to inquire about Garry's Missouri (Tamiya) and Graf Spee (Heller), I thought if I could purchase one of them it would be fitting to build it for this campaign.

Thanks again Skip
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 03:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Below the waterline, there is no detail at all to speak of, including no screws (or shafts), just a rudder!

Ahhhh man! No kidding? Geez, that really stinks! Well.. that settles it, no Revell Missouri for me.

Thanks guys!
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 03:40 AM UTC
Steve!

Consider getting the Heller Richelieu - I just don't because I live a little far away and the postage will be a killer!
This is my advice to you (If you don't know the model, just trust me)

Skipper
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 03:49 AM UTC
The Richelieu huh? Yeah, I remember Garry going on and on about that one as well! Ok, I'll ask Ray about that one too.

Just curious, what would postage be to Portugal for something like that?
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 04:07 AM UTC
Considering the box size, I'll go for about US$40 +

:( It's a shame

Skipper
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 04:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Considering the box size, I'll go for about US$40 +

:( It's a shame

Skipper

D'oh man! Yes, I can see why that would hinder your buying it. Man why don't they just poke a gun in your face while you pay the postage? sheesh!

"Come on! Your money or your ship!

For that price it should be at your door the next morning with a ribbon!
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 04:29 AM UTC
"in one piece" - the package - the model with all the parts please

You should get it Steve!!
It would be in great hands

Skipper
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 04:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You should get it Steve!!
It would be in great hands
Skipper

That remains to be seen. It could look like a monkey built it after I finished it.

After all, I'm still trying to come to terms with my subs after everyone else has finished theirs.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 06:29 AM UTC
Calm down Steve!

I only finished one of four builts - and you're doing fine!
You tackled five!!!

Keep it steady - and keep the good work!!

Skipper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 07:14 AM UTC
Steve (95 Bravo) I strongly strongly recommend you get the Tamiya 350 scale Missouri. There may even be a Minihobbies version. Get on ebay and keep haunting that particular model until you get it at a reasonable price (including the shipping) I did that with the New Jersey (updated to modern specs version of the Iowa---same as Missouri). Got it for less than $30 with shipping it was exactly $38.45. I built the Missouri and it was fun, easy, and looks so good it is displayed on top of my entertainment center so I can see it every day.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 07:24 AM UTC
Oh and Tom Terrific......it's Yamato...... not Yamamoto...he was the Admiral in charge of the Japanese Imperial Fleet until his demise in April 1943
SteveNuttal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 94 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 02:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

it had the same hull as the Yamamoto

Tom

no such ship; that was an Admirals name
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 08:53 PM UTC
Can sure dish out the criticism can't you Tommy, but when you goof ...you can't take it. Being a southerner, you know what a piss ant is (northerners call them fire ants) Why do you always try to pick a fight with everyone.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 09:57 PM UTC
OK OK!!

Let's not start a war about this!
Just calm down - it's Friday - Go our and cool off a little!!

Skipper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 07:43 AM UTC
Sorry Rui;

It's just that this guy goes out of his way to say ugly things to folks. He has had to be censored from what I understand several times. I have stayed out of his arguments with other folks, but his ugly comments were directed straight at me, and for what....pointing out that he had misnamed a warship. I don't ever do anything out of malice. If I have a probem with someone I come out directly and say it. Which I did. But, YOU ARE ABSOLUELY RIGHT !!! This is a forum for ship modelers. We are a rare breed and we all should get along, and the vast majority of us do.

Steve Joyce
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 12:50 PM UTC
Hello to all

To everyone, and to no one in particular, I would like to tell that everybody makes mistakes (me included - in this forum) and everyone could be in "one of those days"...
My point is: if you have "a problem" we should call it done and finished here!

I am no angel and this post can and will be deleted if this situation continue.
This is NOT THE PURPOSE of this forum!

Have fun and relax, after all, this is my hobby, and your hobby too!

Skipper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 03:06 PM UTC
Well, the one thing we are all in agreement with is that the Revell Missouri kit stinks by todays standards. When I built mine in the mid 60's I thought it was the cats meow. With all the improvements in todays kits, it would not be a kit of choice for me. As you can draw from my earlier post, I love that big 350 scale Tamiya. There are also some very fine 700 scale versions out there.
ARMDCAV
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 115 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 01:11 AM UTC
Whats nice about forums is that we can learn alot about things we find interesting without spending hours googling the web. Just post a question and i'm sure someone will either answer it or point you in the right direction. Mistakes and misconceptions do happen and when they do it's nice to know that our goofs and ignorance can be corrected by those who really know. The yamoto - yamamoto example is an old one and has been made even by experts.Most of the time it's caused by our fingers not keeping up with our brains. We have many young contribitors here so sometimes it is neccessary to correct such mistakes so that we don't pass on the mistake to those who might now know the difference. How we do this in a way that wont offend the literate and irate the self styled guru's is a matter of common curtesy. If you write something that would offend you personally if it was directed at you, don't be surprised if it offends the person you wrote it to or about.
Well that was kinda wordy wasn't it?
I believe the Revell Missouri was introduced in the early fifties (1954). Actually I know it was because i have one in my stash. It even has the original tube of revell glue. At a scale of 1/525? it's 22 inches long can be built into a decent replica if you care to take the time to add pe and do a little scratch building. No the lower hull isn't correct by any means but you might consider building it as a waterline. it was orginally designed to be played with and could be motorized. Even came with a set of signal flags so you could spell out messages if you wanted to.
 _GOTOTOP