_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/32 Uboat pics. The starting point
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Model Shipwrights: 102 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 10:16 AM UTC
As promised. Here are the pics of the Andrea 1/32 Uboat that I am beginning for a gentleman here in the Springs. In the pics of the lower hull you see some black lines. Everything inside those lines will be removed as the area is completely covered with 5 minute epoxy. I will replace everything that is there.....god help me The windex bottle is there for a size referrence as if the fact that it dwarfs my Black and Decker Shop mate isn't enough! :-) Comments, suggestions welcome. "Q"

I'm going with the winter paint scheme. White over RLM66. Should bring out the detail very well after weathering.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Damaged areas outlined in black.
Deck gun will get disassembled, cleaned up and re-built as well.

The entire deck section is PE. Hope you enjoyed the pics. In progress pics and info will follow as I go.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 02:50 AM UTC
Hi Mathew!

You are doing a great job and an excellent service to the owner of the boat!

I just read you first post, and I might say that you did a very good deed! I would hate to let go one of my subs!

For the fake pressure hull, I would sugest the blue stryrofoam shaped with a blade, and some pipes using evergreen or even straws (from soft drinks).
The extra hatches you can make doubles form the ones on the deck and place them under the PE deck... even if you don't see them, you'll know that they are there

If you'll need any info please ask!

Skipper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 06:36 AM UTC
Looking at the Andreas kit makes me that more impressed with the Revell kit. Without a doubt, the Andreas is the Rolls Royce (or Lambroghini if you prefer) of submarines. The Detailing of the Revell 72nd comes out just as well. I did the modelbrass deck for mine . I know how big yours is, it just looks so similar to my 72nd scale version that I can't fathom it with my eyes. If any of that makes any sense
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 08:46 AM UTC
Steve, I hear ya' loud and clear. A good friend of mine has the Revell boat and it is almost detail for deatail the same. The big bonus for him though, is he can easily transport his here and there where I have a lot more involvement. If I had to have a U-boat though, I would go with the Revell kit. Even in 1/72 its a monster.

Skipper- Thanks for the advice on the fake pressure hull. I was thinking of adding some styrene strips just below the top of the hull. Then using some slightly wider than the hull sheet styrene for the pressure hull. It would be bent up towards the middle and down at the sides. Paint it black, add some piping, and hatches etc and viola' instant pressure hull. Waddaya' think? Thanks agin. "Q"
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 09:02 AM UTC
Howdy Red4,

WOW!!!!!!!!! What a massive kit!......sheeeeeeeeeesh, that is one heckufa large piece of resin Matthew, and right up my alley! Man, I just LOVE those big scale kits..........

Although I must say, it looks like you've got your work cut out for you mate. I will definitely be following your progress on this monster. The best of luck, and if you ever need anything from just up the road in Denver.......just hollar.
Remember, Colpar's only about a mile away from me as the crow flies.

Tread.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 11:18 PM UTC
Hi Matthew!

The strip styrene and sheet could work, but my concern would be of maintaining a correct curve (actually, curves) on such a long extension...

As reference see "Yankee Model Works" pressure hull resin parts (three pieces) so that you can see the amount of work that you need to make

Hope this helped

Skipper
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 01:49 AM UTC
And here's the link with pictures:

Pressure Hull Parts

Between, I have no commercial interest, just sharing the info - and it isn't the proper scale

Skipper
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 02:41 AM UTC
Skipper, thanks for the link. I saved them for referrence pics. More than likely I'll use them as a guide and develop my own. Thanks again. "Q"

ps. I'd much reather have the Revell kit so I could at least put it in my display case when done. This thing is going to need its own time-zone! :-)
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 02:55 AM UTC
I could swap my Revell U-Boot with that beast

Skipper

PS: I am jocking (but I would)
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 03:46 AM UTC
Matt,

This has been somthing that's been on my mind since you commented on it....the sections that you have marked for removal, how are you planning to replace those areas? Fiberglass and glazing putty sculpted in some way?

Man, the more I think about it, you have your work cut out for you. However, when finished, I think you will no doubt have an accomplishment to be very proud of.

Unrelated...that radio in the photo tuned to KILO FM The Rock of the Rockies?

Talk to you later
Steve
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 10:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Matt,

This has been somthing that's been on my mind since you commented on it....the sections that you have marked for removal, how are you planning to replace those areas? Fiberglass and glazing putty sculpted in some way?

Man, the more I think about it, you have your work cut out for you. However, when finished, I think you will no doubt have an accomplishment to be very proud of.

Unrelated...that radio in the photo tuned to KILO FM The Rock of the Rockies?

Talk to you later
Steve

Steve, the parts that are going to get removed will be added back using styrene bits and pieces. The outer hull is resin that has been laid over fiberglass. I am going to try, operative word here is try, :-) and just take the damaged areas. should that fail, then its sculpting time and more styrene. I found a great product today that will make it easier should I end up hitting the fiberglass. Its an epoxy paste. Two parts that form a peanut butter like "goo" that I can spread on the area needed. I used it to join the hull halves together today. Its drying as I type. I notice on the hull halves that they don't meet exactly as they should. A little filing, shaping, carving and all should be good to go. Pics to follow soon.
As to the radio... I'm a classic rock guy. 98.1 KKfFM, but I do have KILO on there for my harder moments. :-) Thanks. "Q"
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 01:39 PM UTC
Hmm.

Sounds interesting! I look forward to see how this will turn out. I hope that you'll be able to take the simpler route.

One more question....will this guy consent in letting you haul this puppy to a show or two when finished?
Man something like that, as big as it is, would be show stopper. I mean really? How many of those can be floating around out there?

Well, I must confess, it's been over ten years since I've been able to pick up KILO (back when I lived in the HInterlands of far western Kansas...and that on a good night) I just assumed that they had the same format as then...lots of Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd...and the rest.
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 03:12 PM UTC
If all goes well, and I can get it done in time, there is the IPMS Region 10 Convention in the Denver area. Who knows? Problem will be transporting it. I'll let you know how it goes. "Q"
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 03:22 PM UTC
Howdy Matt,

I must admit to still a little confusion as to exactly how you're going to remove and reform the "damaged" areas. But since you already mentioned using epoxy paste I had to at least throw another suggestion at you.
I'm not sure how much the epoxy paste you are using costs, nor do I know the working time, or how easy it is to work with, but have you thought of using polymer clay? The stuff is fantastic to work with, has an extremely comfortable working time, and forms with standard clay forming tools.

Tread.

P.S. I'm going to PM you about another idea regarding Andrea kit.....
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 03:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If all goes well, and I can get it done in time, there is the IPMS Region 10 Convention in the Denver area. Who knows? Problem will be transporting it.

1-800- UHAUL :-) :-) :-) :-)

And lots of foam rubber
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 - 03:10 AM UTC
I've already decided that I am going to build a transport box/case for this thing. That way if he decides he wants to move or take it somewhere he can. 1"x1" framing with 1/8" Luan ply over that and lots of foam on the inside. Already have the material on hand and need to clear out some space in the garage as well. Hull halves are together. I tried cleaning up some of the damaged areas last night to see how long it would take. With the little sander I was using, it went pretty well. I would never consider using the same sander for the whole thing as I would be close to 90 when I finished! With the palm sander it should go quickly and easily. Pics to follow soon. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP