_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
mahogany deck stain ?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2005 - 05:38 AM UTC
I made the mistake of asking this question on the modelwarship web. They never seem to be able to answer the question. I am looking for the closest MODEL MASTER ENAMEL color for my Lexington. I can purchse this down the street at $2.50 including tax. So John at WEM. ...no thanks, no point in buying a "wooden deck from nautilas" that I'll still have to go out and get stain for. And I am not doing a late 1941 or 1942 version so I don't paint deck blue. Does ayone have a photo showing the Lexington rear portion of the deck that had the LEX painted on it to identify the ship. I'm looking to get the correct size so maybe I can get decals or rub ons instead of trying to freehand it
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2005 - 05:43 AM UTC
Ahoy Steve!!

Calm down man
I'll check my references and tell you something tonight/tomorrow morning

Hmm, If I'll give you an Humbrol or Revell number do you have a convertion chart for Model Master? I know I have a FSM with one of this "universal" paint brands converter... So I'll probably check if I can find it too!

Skipper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2005 - 07:15 AM UTC
Thanks Rui

I am not "excited" just irrated that when someone asks a specific question why 5 people can respond to it and not one answer the question. I won't be starting on this kit until we kick off the Flat-top campaign, just trying to get my material together. I'll be going to the Squadron Shop open house in a couple of weeks and plan to buy some items there. Don't know all the brands of colors they stock, but know they don't do WEM and do do MM. I don't know if they carry the Acrylic Model Master Naval colors. I know its kind of a reddish brown , but even there you can get a great variance. I figure it is either similar to Military Brown or Signal brown (Panzer color)
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2005 - 08:43 AM UTC
Steve:

Have you tried here:

http://www.jpsmodell.de/dc/querfs_e.htm

It lists the colors by FS numbers but also gives you a swatch to see the color..

I scanned I the site real quick there is a lot of browns listed with FS numbers that you may be able to use.

I noticed that you said you were going to the Squadron Open House. I won't address how jealous I am about that, anyway

If you cannot find the color you need in the Model Master line. Have you considered looking in the Polyscale line. I believe that Squadron carries both lines of paint.

Although they carry some of the same colors I have found colors that Polyscale has that Model Master doesn't... Just a suggestion

Hope this helps

Paul
Hoovie
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 104 posts
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2005 - 12:09 PM UTC
ouch you guys here on this site have very short
fuses!!!
I saw it first with Vinnie????Well excuse me Steve
we where only trying to help!
According to Squadron Signal US carriers in action
The USS Lexington in 1941 was painted MS1,MS5
camo!
According Shipcamoflage. com all decks where
darkened with what stain?
I don't think so I stand behind the colors that go
with the camo"s!!
HTH~
Ron Hoover
Hoovie
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 104 posts
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2005 - 01:44 PM UTC
Hi~
more evidence from HS!
http://www.clubhyper.com/forums/shipchatframe.htm
and
http://shipcamouflage.com/specialtopics/BlueFlightDecks.html
HTH~
Ron Hoover
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 01:57 AM UTC
Ahoy Steve

Late as usual, but here it goes my sugestion (using Humbrol colors)
Matt 63 (Matt Sand) and after it is dryed completely for a week (if it is enamel) you can brush Burnt Sienna Artist oil over it and then wipe it softly with a cloth...
If you use acrylic paint the curing process will be faster, waiting period one day!

I hope this help and that I had answered your question Steve...

If not scream to me

Skipper

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 06:46 AM UTC
Rui.

I don't know why everyone thinks I'm mad. Anyway, I have gotten some info on who makes a mahogany color and the plan will be to match it with the closest Model Master color. Gunze Sayo? I assume they are acylic, if enamel good deal. Squadron carries both so I can get a good look see before I buy.

Ron:

According to the time frame you researched, you are correct. The Lexington received the blue deck probably in September 1941. I am backdating her to around late 1940 so I can get a variant of the usual colors. I want to do the colorful yellow wing / silver fusealage aircraft and the deck was Mahogany back then. I've done the Essex and will do the Hornet eventually. Want to have different color schemes for each. It took a lot of work from Tom Hathaway who has an extensive research library to get me the exact info I needed on dates, types of aircraft and the correct colorschemes. From 1936 until her demise in 1942 the Lex went through so many changes that its tough to pin dwn exactitudes. From tapered flight deck biplane airwing to a squared off deck and monoplane wing by late 1940, then more aircraft changes with Wildcats, and Dautlass and changes in aircraft color schemes removing /replacing the 8" gun batteries.

Whew..........what a nightmare!!!! Now I'm trying to find out info about deck markings I think I opened up another can of worms :-)
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 10:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rui.
I don't know why everyone thinks I'm mad.

Steve,
None of us, here at Big A, are Mad Persons! :-)
I am jocking!!!! The only person who calls me Mad, is Mrs Skipper...

I don't think you're mad, but sometimes some reference search can turn us crazy! I know, because I have been there... try to search references for a Marder (manned torpedo) and you will understand what I am saying
I think that your project will be outstanding, and for sure will make a big difference and may cause mouths to open! A colourfull aircaft win on a non grey / blue aircaft carrier! Those were the days!
I am looking forward to start the campaign and see the progress of it

Quoted Text

Whew..........what a nightmare!!!! Now I'm trying to find out info about deck markings I think I opened up another can of worms

True but this should be easyer!
Just try to see a copy of "The Lexington Class Carriers", by Robert C. Stern - US Naval Institute
It has lots of pre-war shots

Good luck and I will be here for help... and stress you too

Skipper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 08:03 AM UTC
Tom

Thanks for the idea. I found out a company called Gunze Sanyo makes a Mahogany color. It is probably acylic and my airbrush hates acrylic, but... in a week and a half Squadron has their open house in conjunction with Scalefest so I plan to get a bottle of that and then match it up with the closest MM enamel.
You and Tom Hathaway seem to be quite knowledgeable about this era. Do you know what the deck striping looked like on the Lex in 1940. The only clear deck photo I can find was dated 1936 which had two large stripes running stem to stern and one about 2/3rds of the way down running perpendicular side to side. I understand the color was yellow so that helps. Did this stay on until the blue stain ? I also thought to see what reference books Squadron has and thumb through some pictures
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 05:04 PM UTC
Some photos for you.

Just scroll down to the Lexington.

http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/carriers/us_prewa.htm#lex-cl
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 06:21 PM UTC
Thanks Steve:

I've seen those before. I"m going for the one that is dated 1936 except I'm planning on using monplanes instead of the biplanes. So my version will be 1940. I'm fairly sure it has same look (note stripes down deck) but am looking for verification. Of course lacking contradiction means that's how I'm depicting her. She sure is a beauty ain't she?
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 11:15 PM UTC
Yep!!!
Lady Lex Rules

Skipper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 06:59 AM UTC
Tom:

The Hornet never had the "privaledge" of mahagony deck stain. The NAvy was changing over to the dark blue and my understanding is that when she was constructed/launching that she was the first to get the blue deck. All others followed and I think the Lex was the last to be redone which was in Sept/Oct 1941. But the deck stripe info you gave me is sort of verification that the Lex had those markings in mid 1940 which is the time frame I'm shooting for. Thanks again for the info.

Steve
 _GOTOTOP