_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
light at the end of the tunnel
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 10:28 AM UTC
3 months ago, I embarked on my Nimitz project. I am now actually seeing a possible completion by the end of May. I have completed 57 aircraft for her wing. The upper hull/hanger deck area with 21 aircraft positioned inside. (the remaining 36 will be on flight deck / elevators) I have also completed the island with its myriad of antennas and radars (most replaced by brass) and yes "incorrect railing by a few months" . The flight deck is in one piece now but I still have to cut away the stairs and replace those, have already cut away the safety netting so I still have to replace that and all the detail parts of fuel reels, life bouys weapons etc that go on all the side areas of flight deck and of course lower hull with its detail. I'll probably paint the light grey upper hull, and island shortly and plan to go ahead and get lower hull completed and painted as well in next week. Got some little people but those can go on later. As to pictures, well you'll have to wait 'till she's done. My gallery is about full so rather than put a bunch of progress pix which I have not taken any of I'll wait until it's done to show the world. And to paraphrase the Cheesit commercial.....Nimitz.....go get your own kit :-)

Seriously though...this one is well worth the money. I got the GMM brass set and buy some extra aircraft (you can sustitute Tomcats and Hornets if so inclined). This kit goes together well, the PE set gives excellent directions and it looks like for once I'll use the vast majority of the parts. As most of you do, I've set all the parts together to see what she'll look like and I've definitely got a mantlepiece kit here
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2005 - 05:46 AM UTC
Steve,

What does that measure out at? I've toyed with the idea of getting one, but I never was for sure how big it was and if I would have enough room to display.

Steve
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2005 - 06:59 AM UTC
bottom of the hull comes in at 36" the flight deck probably just under 39"....I don't have the launch ramps or safety netting on it yet....width of the flight deck is around 9 i/2 inchs at widest point height is around 9 1/4 so figure 10 " with the stand ain't no doubt she's a big one. I would say the Enterprise matches her size pretty close but this is definitely a show piece kit. Even straight OOB with an extra airplane set or two this kit really shines
 _GOTOTOP