_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
(Pics) Kuznetzov Aircraft Carrier 1:350
falconbbs
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 299 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 09:42 PM UTC
It's my pleasure to announce that Model Maniac Page 25 - Part A is now available.
New models on show are as follows:

- Fujimi's Westland Seaking "Flying Tigers" 1:72 by Jakkraphad
- Trumpeter's Lockheed P38L-5-L0 "Lightning" 1:32 by Jakkraphad
- Revell's Fw 190 D-9 (late) 1:32 by Jakkraphad
- Italeri's B-58 Hustler 1:72 by Niphon, and
- Trumpeter's USSR Admiral Kuznetzov Aircraft Carrier 1:350 by Niphon

Index and sample pics :

For more pics please visit my newest page :

http://www.falconbbs.com/model25a.htm

Enjoy viewing!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2005 - 06:44 AM UTC
WOW !! Another beautiful kit from Trumpeter. Aren't those little aircraft something. To think they aren't any bigger than your thumb too.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2005 - 06:57 AM UTC
It is beautiful.

When I look at those ski jumps, I always curious as to how much stress that puts on that front gear. I wonder how often they change out the seals on those cylinders?

It's a very nice and clean build. It must be huge both as a kit and real life. Those Flankers are not a small aircraft. Are those also Foxhounds I see on the flight deck?

allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2005 - 08:58 AM UTC
Steven,
Don't think they're Foxhounds, the jet exhauts look wrong. They look inset and the Foxhound's are flush with the rear fuselage. I also note 2 different camo colours on the Flankers Blue + grey and green + grey
Tom
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2005 - 10:51 AM UTC
Tom,

Yes, you are correct.

After I came home from work I dug out a copy of "Military Aircraft of Eastern Europe" I think it's a Yak of some sort. The Yak 41 looks pretty close to these although the book stated that development of this aircraft was suspended in 91. I've no clue if it was restarted and developed or not.

Maybe someone knows what they are for sure.

Steve
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2005 - 10:14 PM UTC
Steven, you was wondering about them ski jumps putting stress on the front gear, what about their landings on these ships, ours included.

An air-force guy was telling me, about how he thought how bad the navy pilots landed, but then I told him the air-force never haft to land on a ship. I told him to go land on a ship a couple times then come back and say that, of course he wasn't a pilot, or he would of known better.
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 03:43 AM UTC
Yes they are Yak-41's. I just got my Kuznetsov the other day. You get 6 Su-27's, 2 Mig-29K's, and 4 Yak-41's.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 06:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes they are Yak-41's. I just got my Kuznetsov the other day. You get 6 Su-27's, 2 Mig-29K's, and 4 Yak-41's.

I wondered if those were Mig 29s as well, the intake trunks looked right but there was something about the spine that looked different.

Just curious, but can you ballpark how this will measure out when finished? I was asking Steve Joyce the same thing about the Nimitz the other day, I'm trying to get a rough idea how much room I would need for display space should I latch onto one these and the Nimitz....plus a Hornet, and what ever else comes down the pike that I can't seem to live without.

Much to the dismay of my wife.

Thanks
Steve
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 06:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Steven, you was wondering about them ski jumps putting stress on the front gear, what about their landings on these ships, ours included.

Yeah, I'm sure that slamming down on those decks puts the gear through a beating as well. I've always admired their ability to land on what must seem like a postage stamp. I've a computer simulator and it took me a week or two before I stopped ploughing into the fantail or rolling off the end of the deck.

That said, it's a good thing I became an MP instead.

Wings like Icarus
Steve
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 06:21 AM UTC
Steve , don't forget the Lexington and one of those super Essex class carrers as well. And of course the venerable Tamiya Enterprise :-)
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 06:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve , don't forget the Lexington and one of those super Essex class carrers as well. And of course the venerable Tamiya Enterprise :-)

Oh yeah...While I'm at it I'll look for a new home as well. :-) :-) :-) Or sleep in the garage........

She'd kill me if I bought all of those.

But it would be cool to have them all

The seed is planted
Steve
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 172 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 07:44 AM UTC
Steve,

I have seen this kit as well at the store... IIRC (I do not have the kit myself), the 1/350 Nimitz ends up at roughly 110 cm ( or 3' 8"), at least under 1.20 m (4').

Bought the 1/350 King George V today... damn the thing is huge...

By the way, this kit looks awesome... And if any are interested, I believe there is a conversion for the SU-33 on the market (expensive though), by SOL models.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 02:57 PM UTC
The thought of having this kit isoooo tempting. I'd love to have more Soviet stuff.

However, I would be shot on sight if I came home with this....
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 172 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 04:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The thought of having this kit isoooo tempting. I'd love to have more Soviet stuff.

However, I would be shot on sight if I came home with this....

Steve,

if you have a home-construction project then maybe you can smuggle this one in with the timber (as the box is about the same size)....

I feel for you....
falconbbs
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 299 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 07:42 PM UTC
Many thanks for your kind comments and compliments!.
The Kuznetzov is 87.5 cm long, some 25cm wide and 22cm high. My Tamiya's Enterprise 1:350 is exactly 100.5 cm long, I believe that Nimitz in the same class should not be longer than 105 cm, but I may be wrong. Haven't got it yet, plus no more space to keep big things like these...
Troffmeister
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 02:18 AM UTC

Hi guys

re - 1/350 Trumpeter USSR Admiral Kuznetsov

i am looking for a big favor , would it be possible for someone to electronically scan only this page of the instruction sheet for me

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/ru/cv/350-kuznetzov-trump/kuznetsov-13.jpg

and email it to me at

[email protected]

i need a good flat copy of this page for a private hobby i am working on

your help would be most gratefully appreciated

thanks in advance

Roger :-)
Troffmeister
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 02:23 AM UTC

full kit box review here

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/ru/cv/350-kuznetzov-trump/kuznetsov.html

enjoy

:-)

Roger
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Model Shipwrights: 23 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 03:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I wondered if those were Mig 29s as well, the intake trunks looked right but there was something about the spine that looked different.

You are right about the MiG-29K and the spine. One of the many things MiG did when they made them was "bulking" up the spine. This allowed for an added fuel tank (not sure on size) and some avionics (?)

Early Fulcrum-K

Current MiG-29K

MiG-29K

I have a magazine article at home and will update this with the complete version.

Jeff
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 04:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve,if you have a home-construction project then maybe you can smuggle this one in with the timber (as the box is about the same size)....
I feel for you....

Harm, (Cool name by the way)

My wife is ok with my having models, it's just that my collection continues to grow . I seem to have that "he who dies with the most toys" mentality.

Her big thing is, "Do I have enough room in the basement for them all." and the answer is...yes.

You see, I have this all planned out. When my oldest son leaves for college a year from now, there will be a blitzing- semi-hostile annexation of his room to my area which will give me complete command of the basement.

This annexation will also coincide with the grand opening of Steve's Mini Museum of Military History....Jack and Cokes along with cocktail weenies will be served. Ties are not required.

So you see, it's a matter of biding my time and not attracting attention to my covert operation that prevents me from obtaining one of these sweet lil' babies.

I'll send you an invite when the annexation is complete

Steve
 _GOTOTOP