_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Civil War Ironclads?
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Model Shipwrights: 102 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2005 - 12:05 PM UTC
I saw some very interesting kits of this topic at the IPMS show last month. Unfortunately I didn't spend any time looking beyond a "drive by" and now I'm wondering who makes these kinds of kits and where can I find them? Any help?

Neo
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 916 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2005 - 12:15 PM UTC
Squadron has some.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2005 - 12:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I saw some very interesting kits of this topic at the IPMS show last month. Unfortunately I didn't spend any time looking beyond a "drive by" and now I'm wondering who makes these kinds of kits and where can I find them? Any help?

Off handI know that Verlinden Productions makes some Iron Clads in 1/200th scale (water lines) and I'm sure there are others. I suspect that our very own Treadhead will weigh in here and could point you towards others.

I suspect that YeOl' Skipper have a few suggestions up his sleeve as well.

Back to swabbing the deck....
Steve
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2005 - 01:40 PM UTC
Here's the 2 that I know of. It may be confusing at first because their names are so similar. :
Cottage Industry Models

I'm working on their Keokuk as shown below

And then there's
Cottage Industries.com

Hope I got those 2 right!

Mike T
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2005 - 10:24 PM UTC
Morning Gentleman!

Verlinden, Cottage Industry Models and Cottage Industry are all in resin, and have a large offering.

Then we have the Lindberg's old release of CSS Virginia and USS Monitor and Battle Axe Monitor in Plastic

and if you want to try Paper Models, there's several but you can check some here: Paper Ironclads

You could also scratchbuild your own Ironclad as Treadhead is

Hope this helps

Skipper
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 07:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Then we have the Lindberg's old release of CSS Virginia and USS Monitor

WAY TO GO SKIPPER!!!! That is not making the very common mistake of calling the USS Monitor's opponent the "Merrimack". As a child, I would visit my great aunt's house which was located near the water and looked directly across Hampton Roads to where the battle was fought. She would tell the story about hearing all about the battle from her father-in-law who had stood on the shore and watched.

In an incredibly ironic "faux pas" (IMHO), the Bridge-Tunnel on I-664 which crosses the James River from the Southside to the Peninsula is called the "Monitor and Merrimack Tunnel " or M&M for short. You'd think that of ALL people VDOT would have done better!!!

Tom
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Model Shipwrights: 34 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 08:14 AM UTC
Scroll around this page at Military MIniatures Warehouse.
Great dealer and John McNenney is a member of Armorama.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 10:24 AM UTC
There is a company called Lone Star models that makes several reasonably priced vessels. Most are southern (imagine that).
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 795 posts
Model Shipwrights: 12 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 10:36 AM UTC
Heres another manufacturer.
http://www.thoroughbredmodels.com/
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 11:49 AM UTC
See Mike!
Ask and you will receive!

Way to go Big A Members!
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 12:46 PM UTC
Armorama never lets me down...question about scale...I see Verlinden has a selection of 1/200...but then Thouroghbred has a nice selection of 10mm...that's new to me, how does 'mm' scale relate to 1/x scale?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Model Shipwrights: 34 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 03:37 PM UTC
25m =1/72 (approximately) so 10mm would be about 2.5 times smaller than 1/72 or 1/180 (approximately)
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 10:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

WAY TO GO SKIPPER!!!! That is not making the very common mistake of calling the USS Monitor's opponent the "Merrimack".

:-)

Common knowledge?

Well Mike, a lot of American Civil War Ironclads are available... just pick the one you feel more confortable with (scale, name, north/south, price).

Another input on some brands that I know from making their models:
Cottage Industries Models (CIM) their latest models are great, specially the small scale (like the 1/72 HL Hunley or CSS David). Others like 1/32 Turtle, Nautilus, HL Hunley , Pioneer (all submersibles, as you can see) are exquisite models and well worth the price - if the Ironclads have the same quality, you are ok.
Lone Star Models (LSM) I have four of their American Civil War submersibles (they call them submarines, which they are not):
- HL Hunley (pre-discovery of the remains)
- USS Aligator (paddle version)
- Mistery Sub
- CSS David
IMHO the worst model is the Hunley, the rest of them are great and with a little work they could turn into masterpieces
Visiting their website I realise that a new Hunley model was released - so I got the bad one :-)
http://www.lonestarmodels.com/

Hope this helps a little bit more

Skipper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 10:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Common knowledge?

Not exactly Skipper. It is still a regional thing with us. Just like up noth They call the battles Bull Run and Antietam, we in the south call them Manassas and Sharpsburg. Up north they usually refer to the CSS Virginia as the Merrimac. Oh and thanks for the info on Lone Star, I've never seen their products so I never ordered. It's something I will now strongly consider
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 02:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

WAY TO GO SKIPPER!!!! That is not making the very common mistake of calling the USS Monitor's opponent the "Merrimack".

:-)

Common knowledge?

Well Mike, a lot of American Civil War Ironclads are available... just pick the one you feel more confortable with (scale, name, north/south, price).

Another input on some brands that I know from making their models:
Cottage Industries Models (CIM) their latest models are great, specially the small scale (like the 1/72 HL Hunley or CSS David). Others like 1/32 Turtle, Nautilus, HL Hunley , Pioneer (all submersibles, as you can see) are exquisite models and well worth the price - if the Ironclads have the same quality, you are ok.
Lone Star Models (LSM) I have four of their American Civil War submersibles (they call them submarines, which they are not):
- HL Hunley (pre-discovery of the remains)
- USS Aligator (paddle version)
- Mistery Sub
- CSS David
IMHO the worst model is the Hunley, the rest of them are great and with a little work they could turn into masterpieces
Visiting their website I realise that a new Hunley model was released - so I got the bad one :-)
http://www.lonestarmodels.com/

Hope this helps a little bit more

Skipper

Well I dove in and purchased a Verlinden 1/200 CSS Virginia off of eBay for $30. Though I was wondering, how significant is the visual difference between 1/200 and 1/192? Verlinden has a 4 or 5 at 1/200, but Lone Star has quite a few at 1/192 and could augment as needed as long as the scale difference wasn't too great.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 03:01 PM UTC
Howdy All...

My apologies for being sooooo late to this thread, but I've been away.....

Another ' victim' for Ironclads huh?.......cool

Actually, I'm always more than happy to welcome another member who is interested in Ironclads....not only ACW stuff, but the entire [untold} spectrum of non-ACW/European Ironclads that were built.....
To start off Mike, if there's anything I can do for you in regards to Ironclads, please don't hesitate to give me a PM or a general "Hollar!"......be glad to help in any way I can

to modelguy2: So, you are working on the USS Keokuk huh? Fantastic!...with your impressive talents I just can't wait to see some of the results..

to our good skipper: Many thx for posting a pic of my Choctaw project. It look's a wee bit different now than it did then, and I am working on posting a thread regarding those efforts just as soon as I can.

to All: Thanks go to you all for posting such helpful links. ACW stuff is quite hard to find {especially photographic evidence} , even harder to find than World War I stuff....

My only input {and this is not meant negatively} is, that after fairly exhaustive research, I have found that {IMHO} a decent portion of the ACW naval offerings available out there are highly 'suspect' in the dimensions department.
I certainly don't want to get into any kind of 'p*ssing' debate about it, other than to say that accuracy {like history} is given it's fair share of creative license in this particular subject.....
Having said that {for my own selfish reasons}, the products offered by Cottage Industry Models are head and shoulders above the rest.......

Tread.

OHHHHH..........and while I'm on the subject {kinda}, and maybe have the ears of some of you 'salty' modelers out there......don't go forgetting about the very cool Tin Clads, Timber Clads, and even Cotton Clads as well! ..........and don't even get me started on the whole Blockade Runner 'thing'!......! :-) :-)
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 10:58 PM UTC
Gordon...

Being late is my department and there can be only one

How is your Choctaw comming? Any updates visible?
Have you made all superstructures?

Keep the rest of the gang updated

Skipper
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 2,654 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 11:50 PM UTC
You guys have definitely piqued my interest- Love the ACW period as Auzzie was lucky to not go down that road - closest was a miners strike that because the Eureka Stockade but British army came in and Kicked heads- I have seen a lot of drawind of the Iron clads and also those of other Navies- We even had a Monitor as one of the Victorian States Fleet- Australia first had states then became a country in 1901
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 12:08 AM UTC
Hey Mike:

On the weekend I saw the movie Sahara. It has a story based on an Iron Clad. I dont know how accurate the movies props are but there is quite a bit of reference material there if you watch the movie. Lots of interior shots.

Good Luck

Brian
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 02:24 AM UTC
Howdy skipper, and Good Mornin' to ya

As I said, I will try to post some updates and photos just as soon as I can...I've got the photos saved to disk, just need to assemble them in some type of cohesive manner.....

to fanai: you said "... as Auzzie was lucky to not go down that road -..." On the contrary, I could point out some rather direct information that indicates Australia did in fact have connections to the ACW...and the Monitor you may be referring to is the twin-turreted Monitor, the HMVS Cerberus

to the dutchie: You are correct, the recent film Sahara did in fact include as part of the essential storyline, the idea that a Confederate States Ironclad ran the Union blockade successfully and then crossed the Atlantic ocean { } and came to rest in the Sahara desert.....
In fact, there are some really good scenes at the beginning of the film that illustrate just how intense it must have been, being inside an Ironclad during a cannonade engagement........pretty intense to say the least.

Tread.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 02:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Though I was wondering, how significant is the visual difference between 1/200 and 1/192?

Well, let's just see. Ten feet = 120 inches and in 1/200 scale, that works out to .600 inches of model. The same ten feet in 1/192 scale equals .625 inches.

So if you have two identical vessels which are supposed to represent 100 feet of length in both scales side by side, the 1/192 will be .25 inch longer.

I think if you had two identical ships which were in the neighborhood of 1000 feet, and placed them directly next to each other, you'd probably notice a 2.5 inch difference, but for shorter lengths, I'll bet you probably wouldn't notice, especially if you had two different ships and they were not directly next to each other.

Tom
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 09:15 AM UTC
Keokuk's 11" dahlgren

and boat
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 2,654 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 12:08 PM UTC
Sorry Tread what I meant was Australia did not find independeance via bloodshed- we came close a few times - Yes I know of quite a few situation of Aussie influences and also occurances to do with the War of the states- Read a lot on the states rights issues, but now it is history and all we can do is try to never let something like that happen again-we hope
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 10:23 PM UTC
Hi Mike!

Excellent work (as usual!)!!
The Dalgreen looks very nice (and small)

Thanks for sharing

Skipper
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 08:16 AM UTC
Thanks to all for the information. I just recieved my Verlinden kit (and have subsequently also purcahsed a Lone Star Virginia--might put the Verlinden back up on eBay). What sort of colors were these beasts? Obvioulsy the iron is a metallic gray perhaps? What colors are you all using? As the Lone Star kit also includes below the waterline (and the reason I purchased it and will more than likely resell the Verlinden), what was the color below the waterline?
 _GOTOTOP