_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Should Have Thought of This Sooner
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 03:57 AM UTC
I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. Instead of trying to saw off the rails of the Arizona with a jeweler's saw, I dug out my handy-dandy BMFscribing tool and peeled the plastic until the rails came off. The result, nice straight, flush to the deck rail removal and no execution of the ten basic ballet moves to do it!

Life is good and I'm back to the point where I screwed up the last one...no screw ups this time.

Feeling nautical today
Steve
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 04:09 AM UTC
Sounds like a plan.

Hey Steven, did you happen to see the latest, I think it was the latest, FSM where somebody is converting the Arizona to the Pennsylvania? I can't say I liked the look of the PA after she was modified as much as before, but she was certainly a better warship. It's a two part article, concluding next issue.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 04:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The result, nice straight, flush to the deck rail removal and no execution of the ten basic ballet moves to do it!

Steve

:-) :-) :-)
Thanks for the laugh, Steve...really needed one today...
Does sound as if you got this problem solved though, eh??? "Necessity is the mother of invention"...Good show, Bro!
Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 04:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Steven, did you happen to see the latest, I think it was the latest, FSM where somebody is converting the Arizona to the Pennsylvania? I can't say I liked the look of the PA after she was modified as much as before, but she was certainly a better warship. It's a two part article, concluding next issue.

It's in October issue...
Yes, it looks more "effective warship like", but have to admit that he had lots of work and it's by far one of the best warship articles in FSM lately

Skipper

EDIT:Article: "The road to Pennsylvania", By Mike Ashey
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 05:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds like a plan.

No I haven't Rodger. I have to admit, once my subscription ran out last Spring, I haven't picked up very many issues since. To me, it seemed as though a good number of articles were -re-hashed articles from two years ago or longer. I decided that I learn more here from other members than I did reading FSM. Maybe I'll go ahead and pick up the October issue and take a peak. I've been using Ashey's FSM article on the Arizona along with stuff Mike Taylor has posted here as guides for my wee- AZ.

See ya later gents!
Steve
Still feeling nautical
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 10:15 AM UTC
I've had a subscription to FSM since Christ was a Corporal (back when it was just a quarterly). Yea, I've progresed well beyond the preponderance of their how to articles, but every once in a while someone does a build or a conversion of a kit I've got or plan to buy. I chunk the mag in the kit box, and when I get around to the kit....bingo there is some pictures/instructions that are more than likely useful. On the website, they are doing their annual most wanted poll. I have found that manufacturers generally pay attention to this. So everybody get on and vote for the 350 scale Hood this year. (personally I prefer a cage mast BB pre-war but the Hood is likely to garner a high number of votes and get made). Another choice might be the Akagi. They also have lots of airplane scales and have tanks / afv. Me, I wanted that Saladin.....fat chance !
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 12:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sounds like a plan.

No I haven't Rodger. I have to admit, once my subscription ran out last Spring, I haven't picked up very many issues since. To me, it seemed as though a good number of articles were -re-hashed articles from two years ago or longer. I decided that I learn more here from other members than I did reading FSM. Maybe I'll go ahead and pick up the October issue and take a peak. I've been using Ashey's FSM article on the Arizona along with stuff Mike Taylor has posted here as guides for my wee- AZ.

See ya later gents!
Steve
Still feeling nautical

I think the last issue I actually bought was last year when they had some special insert on airbrushing. You couldn't look at the article without buying the mag. I have learned far more off Armorama for free, not counting my A guard membership, than that little insert thing. I recently found out the largest library in town has FSM, so I doubt I'll ever buy another one.

Like Skipper says though that's one of the best ship articles they've had ina good long while.

95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 06:11 AM UTC
Hot dog!

I cleared the the first superstructure deck of rails and gun tubs and no screw-ups. I think it's going to be a good day.

Steve
 _GOTOTOP