_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
A Tale of Two Ships...Or:
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 02:24 PM UTC
Why Steve Should Not Have Sharp Objects.

Initially, when I began this campaign, I thought I could do this without any major problems, but...a slip of the x-acto here and a gouge there, it became evident, that I would need a back-up. After purchasing the second Arizona and the original becoming a test-bed for techniques, I decided that the test subject wasn't looking too bad and then got the idea (in the end maybe..a dumb idea) that I would build both. One would be built as per instructions, with the exception of a PE set since I'd already removed the rails, and the other, in the correct configuration as she was on 7 December 1941. The progress and the comparison:

The older kit has better lines, but the fit was not so great and required filling and sanding. The newer kit is to the left.

I've yet to address the issue of the portholes...how much time do we have?

Old Hull

New Hull

This is where I started to get myself in trouble. As you can see, removed the ammo lockers for the deck guns on the newer kit only to discover that I should have left them alone. However, I've yet to find anything that can tell me if the object located just below and to the right of where the funnel is located, should remain . I should mention, that according to Alan Chesley's line drawing of the Arizona after the June 41 refit, that it si there...but I've been told that his information is inaccurate in some cases...so... Anyone know for sure?

As you can see, there are far less sink holes in the newer kit than in the older one...putty has been my buddy. In fact, it and evergreen strip has been a constant companion.

I won't point them out, but there are a number of screw-ups here. I'll give one thing to this project, it's forced me try new things and push my limited abilities. (This is the orginal kit )

Zantac time
Steve

Oh my captain..my captain, I am feeling kind of sick.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 06:45 AM UTC
A few more side by side.

95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 06:59 AM UTC
Sorry, I forgot to add this. Not only am I building the Arizonas in memory of our friend Garry, who is sorely missed, but I would dedicate this build in honor of the 855th Military Police Company and the other fine members of the Arizona National Guard who've answered the call of their nation in the finest of traditions in Iraq and currently, caring for the citizens of this country through relief efforts in the wake of Katrina and Rita.

Hoooahhhhhhhhh! AZNG! Hooooahhhhhh 855th Military Police Company...You Rock!

Steve
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 07:41 AM UTC
Steven, my friend....
You are definitely having a bugger of a time with this one, ay mate?...I can feel your pain Bro, but try to keep your patience(and Zantac...I use Protonix!) and I believe that you will be successful in the end...just when you think that all the lights are gone, here comes a dim one at the end of the tunnel, and soon all is well again! I guess that you can also look at it optimistically, and take it all in as a learning experience to maybe use on future builds. ...There's still lot's of time left with this campaign, my man, so step back, take another look, and dive back in!
Gunny
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 08:28 AM UTC
Thanks Gunny,
To be honest, this has been working out really well. As I experiment on the one, I know what not to do on the other. Plus, I can go back and fix the goofs on the first one. I think, just maybe, in the end they'll both turn out looking ok. *fingers crossed*....I hope

What's that saying, what does not kill us can only make us stronger? Guess we'll find out how true that is...

Steve
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Model Shipwrights: 40 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 03:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You are definitely having a bugger of a time with this one, ay mate?...

Oh Bloody hell....im Contageous.... :-)

Steve, although they are causing you a bit of greaf, i think they are looking great, who makes the kits by the way?
Anyways mate hang in there, youll get em done and looking fantastic.
Cheers
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 04:00 PM UTC
Thanks David,
I spent most of the day smoothing over scars and gouges. I think all in all, they may just turn out looking somewhat respectable.

They're both Revell kits, 1/426th scale. The ship on the right is the 1960s release and the one on the left I believe was a re-release either in the 80s or 90s.

Thanks again
Steve
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 11:40 PM UTC
Hi Steve!

You have been busy!
They are turning out right and I am gald you decided to tackle both
Like the limber holes on the Gato (remember?) I would say: Go and drill those portholes - it's not difficult, just a little boring :-)
I am looking forward to see more updates!
Keep up the good work!

Skipper
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 01:57 AM UTC
HI Ya Skip!

Yes, this was the first full weekend I've had off in almost two months. I took advantage of it. Yes Sir, I was planning on drilling the portholes, but, do you think that I should sand down the porthole frames as well? They seem a bit out of place to me...how about you?

Well, back to the salt mine...thanks for taking a look at them.
Steve
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 05:15 AM UTC
Hi Steve

http://www.coastcomp.com/USN1917/2.htm

I would lightly sand them - as you can see on the second picture (url) you can see the shadow made by the portholes, meaning they are a little protudent

Skipper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 05:56 AM UTC
Steve:

Looking at my 350 scale version, I would drill out the portholes and sand away most if not all of the protuberence. My version is larger and the portholes are present as partial holes, but no outer ring. Do a scan o the web and find some of those large moels or the real expensive esin kits andsee how those guys depict them.

Oh yea, quit stressing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is fun time remember !! Hell, sit back and watch some TV. I watched Desperate HOusewives season opener last night and laughed my butt off. The opening bit about the old lady and the bottle of booze walking down the street, and then the flash to inside the house with the kid, dog, gun and the grownup boyfriend and girlfriend leading to the bottle in the lady's hand out in the street getting shot made me laugh until I cried.
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Model Shipwrights: 213 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 07:28 AM UTC
Steve i think both of your ships look good so far, i don't have much experience with model ships, but i agree with the others drill them and sand them down a little.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 01:53 PM UTC
well, you know how it is, I'm Stressin' Steve...There's a multitude of talent around this place that I have to have my stuff looking half way respectable sitting amongst all the other great stuff that will be churned out here.

I'll lightly sand them as has been suggested. I noticed on Mike Taylor's and Ashey's that there didn't seem to be any noticable protrusion from the portholes. But, I think I'll take the happy medium.

Thanks guys for the comments and the advice. I always like imput pro or con.

I swear to God Skip I wrote that name down here some place, but I'll just say:

Steve

Oh yeah, in regards to that deck fitting I mentioned near the funnel, It's not on Ashey's so I'm guessing it was never molded on the Trumpeter kit to begin with. So the question still stands, does anyone know if it was on her after the 41 re-fit?...for sure?
 _GOTOTOP