_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Sailing Vessels
This forum is for sailing ships both civilian and military of any era.
Union Brigantine Update rigging
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Model Shipwrights: 213 posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 03:48 PM UTC

I thought i would post a few pics of my progress on the ship, most of the rigging is done, but i still have to finish the rat lines or the cargo nets the sailers will climb up. I have started to sew the sails up but don't like the way they are coming out so i may leave them off, any and all comments welcome.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 03:52 PM UTC
OMG! She's beautiful!

How did the rigging go? It looks great, but was wondering if you encountered problems.

Suddenly I have this urge for rum and salt spray.

Wonderful work.

Henk! When do we see the clipper??????
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 04:06 PM UTC
Thanks Steve, the rigging went really smooth considering it is my first, rigging or i think they call it reeving the dead eyes was the most difficult part so far and getting them to all match from 1 dead eye to the next was very difficult. The plans on this kit were good but not great they could have given more info on the rigging, however i would purchase other kits from Constructo them seem to be very well done.
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 2,654 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 09:09 PM UTC
A fine and very seaworthy ship matey-aye that be were ye can see that salt in ye sails- oops mind sliped back then - Great work
Ian
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 01:11 PM UTC
Thanks ian the kit should already be finished but i have been working late every day for the last few weeks, doesn't my boss know that all this hard work is cutting into my modeling time :-)
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 01:52 PM UTC
Before you make me walk the plank for stepping into the Warships forum, I have to admit that I have been a long time lurker of sailing vessels. The amount of work that goes into the rigging alone has kept me a land lubber.

I truly admire your build there RV. Love all the rigging. Keep up the good work.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 03:32 PM UTC
I like the rigging. Some of those ship kits have so much that I thnk you would be better off training a spider to spin her web all over the ship. I like it as is. Finish up the rat lines and leave the sails off
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 04:30 PM UTC
Thanks Ken thanks Steve, to late i put the sails on any way, after all i consider this kit to be my practice ship, and i have really learned a lot. I will post some new pics with the sails installed and the last few details in a few days, i will also post a pic of the next ship, it will be a double plank on bulk head kit.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 11:16 PM UTC
Hi RV!

First of all accept my appologies for miisng this post - how could I missed it???

Now for my comments:
- The rigging is great, as is the building - clean!
- Don't forget to rig the cannons
- Don't forget to paint the rest of the keal
- The sails:
You have two options:
1 - Have the sails folded (even if your stiching isn't perfect) they will add life to your boat
2 - Keep off the sails (but will look odd!)

I would convince the Mrs RV to sew the sails and then just fold / catch them in the proper place.
Don't forget to tint the sails in tea or coffee. You can use different amounts to tint them in different shades!

Keep up the excellent work - you are almost in a safe harbour!

Skipper
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 02:40 AM UTC
Thanks Skipper, i already installed the sails forgot to age them with the tea, i am glad you reminded me to rig the cannons i will do that when i install some stairs for the bow, they made no provisions for that but i have some scraps to make the stairs. i will also finish painting the keel before i install the ship on its base. Thanks everyone for all your comments.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 03:09 AM UTC
Excellent RV, you're right, you did a good job with those deadeyes. It's turned into a beauty, and I look forward to the finished phot's.
You don't have to show all sails unfurled.. Often sails would be trimmed or reefed according to the wind directions, required speed etc. I'm thinking of doing something like that with the Cutty Sark. Speaking of which, I'm affraid that I have not done much lately. I have painted most of the deck fittings, but am a bit stuck with that planking which I still have to fininsh...

Staining the sails...if you do that, keep it very light. IMHO sails should not be stained, as most sails are bleached ( sunlight and saltwater ).
I think the idea of staining sail to an almost mahogany shade stems from the days when parchment was a popular medium for modelship sails.. :-) .

The anchors would not be hung on the siderails like that... They are tied to the little post sticking out on either side of the bow. I'll have to post a picture to explain later.

Cheers
Henk
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 03:27 AM UTC
Thanks Henk i hung the achors where they did from the pictures, i think i can still move them but i will have to break the super glue joint first.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 03:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Staining the sails...if you do that, keep it very light. IMHO sails should not be stained, as most sails are bleached ( sunlight and saltwater ).
I think the idea of staining sail to an almost mahogany shade stems from the days when parchment was a popular medium for modelship sails.. :-)
Cheers
Henk

Ah - a friendly discussion theme!
Hi Henk and RV

I must disagree with you on these particular issue!
If you have seen some sailing ships, the canvas used for them are not white, they tend to be "raw" or yellowish... some almost brown.
Older boats also have the sails patched and stiched, making them ununiform in colour. Also handling the sails make them dirty! I agree that sun and saltwater degradate the sails, but not in a bleaching effect - it will be more of a roting and decomposition one - the cloth/canvas start to loose it's flexibility and thorn...

If you take a look and see some old paintings from the Sail Age [:-) it sounds strange, dosen't it?] you will find that the sails have different colours and shades in the same boat/ship.

Ahh Only the Sea and Wind - those were the days!!! (Glad I live today, and sailling on a barge, or any sailling ship is more of a touristic adventure than the need of traveling)

Just my humble opinion,

Skipper

EDIT: just to state again that this is a friendly discussion!!! No harm intended!!!!
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 04:21 AM UTC
I don't know if staining the sails with tea would make them more accurate or not i don't have any reference material on these old ships, but it was my intent to stain them anyway just because they looked to clean and white, i just plain forgot to do it, either way when i post the new pics you guys can judge for yourself.
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 04:49 AM UTC
Hhaarrrr
Man the cannons, ready the grapplehooks, prepare the boarding party.....Hoist the Jolly Roger..

:-) :-) :-)
Hi Skipper,
Sure, we can disscus this in peace. You are right, sails do get very dirty, and will look very patchy and worn. Depending on the type of fabric used, they can indeed look very dark. I don't think however that todays sails are representative of the sails which were used in the days when sail was the only means of propulsion. Main sails would be used continuesly, and not realy have a change to rot. Todays sails spend a lot of time either in storage or reefed (rolled up) which is where rot set in quick. Salt water spray would stain the sails, especialy the lower ones. Also the quality of the sails would in the main have been top class, as you couldn't risk ending up without decent sails in the middle of the ocean. I suppose it also depends on the era and user. Patched up, yes definitely. But to show this on a scale model is very difficult. A bit like trying to simulate handpainting on an AFV, it often looks as if the builder has not done a very good job. .
I would not really use old paintings to colormatch my model.. . The painter would have used some licence to create a pleasing or impossing picture, which means that either dark or bleached white sails may be wide of the mark... :-) .

Personaly I think white (light) sails look better, but that's my own preference. I'm always open for new facts and ideas, after all that's how you broaden your knowledge.

And I'm always game for a good boarding.. uhh I mean friendly disscussion. :-) :-)

Harrr

Cheers
Henk
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 05:07 AM UTC
À Abordaaaaaagem!!
Sorry.. it's my old Navy Blood still boilling :-) :-)

Henk,
Agree on some of your points, but disagree on others
Just a quick note on the "spares" sails, in the XIV and XV centuries even our smallest Caravel carried extra sails - so I guess there was a reason why they do it

So let's set it to a "Light shade" agreement?
Earl Grey? I bring the cookies!!

Skipper

PS: The main thing is that RV may choose what to do with his sails and how - the explanation of the Friendly discussion was more directed to RV than to you Henk I knew we could have this fighth!!!!
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 05:44 AM UTC
Earl grey would be most agreeable my dear fellow.. You bring the bisquits, I'll bring the lemon.

Cheerio

Henk

_GOTOTOP