_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Garry's "Flattops" Campaign Rally Call!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 03:09 AM UTC
Ahoy, Maties!
With a little over two months left before this next campaign in Gary's honor will begin here at Armorama (January 1st), I would really love to see more of ye salty dogs signed up for this one, mates! We're at the 40 mark now, so how about it? If you're new here, there's not a better way to get aquainted with your fellow members than to join in and participate in a campaign...Don't know what a campaign is, you say?...just click on the "Campaigns" tab on the top page menu and let your mouse do the walking...This is sure to be another fantastic learning experience for all involved, no matter how sea worthy ye are! Any questions that you may have, please feel free to pm me anytime!
Gunny
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 03:56 AM UTC
And as incentive, your participation will include an overnight stay on Lady Lex where you will wine and dine and be treated to Skipper's melodic renditions of bawdy seafaring songs.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 04:06 AM UTC
Meaning:

It's going to be another FUN Warship Campaign!
Join in - you won't regret!

Skipper
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
Model Shipwrights: 44 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 04:39 AM UTC
ahoy maties! (sorry couldnt resist) shortly before garry passed on, he posted an invite in the aircraft forum that basically said aircraft modellers would be welcome to submit a navy aircraft model in a carrier setting. is this that same campaign? i think i will put in something in this camp. i have an ark royal kit, but also a corsair and a sea fury in 1/72 that maybe could be dioramised
cheers, phil
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 04:56 AM UTC
Yes Phil,

This is the One!
I am glad you remembered and you're welcome to spread the work on the Aircraft area

Skipper
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 05:30 AM UTC
I think I'll try this one as my second ship. I'll be doing the Tamiya USS Bogue as the CVE18 USS Altamaha. If that's acceptable.
_Admiral_Fil
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 60 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 06:07 AM UTC
Not a great fan of flattops here! Still, I'll think about it until January then. I have a Skywave RN CVE started but didn't put my hands on her for the last few years. I still have others unstarted and let us see if I can get a few more ships when I went to Telford late November!
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 06:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Meaning:It's going to be another FUN Warship Campaign!
Skipper

Indeed! We'll have it no other way!

Friday night is Margarita Night at Steve's
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 06:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think I'll try this one as my second ship. I'll be doing the Tamiya USS Bogue as the CVE18 USS Altamaha. If that's acceptable.

It tis! If it floats, has a flat spot on it to carry out controlled crashes of naval aircraft..it is acceptable and this is the place to be

And it's where all the cool people hang out.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 10:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

ahoy maties! (sorry couldnt resist) shortly before garry passed on, he posted an invite in the aircraft forum that basically said aircraft modellers would be welcome to submit a navy aircraft model in a carrier setting. is this that same campaign? i think i will put in something in this camp. i have an ark royal kit, but also a corsair and a sea fury in 1/72 that maybe could be dioramised
cheers, phil

Indeed, Phil!
Do spread the word amongst the wingnuts, mate! It would only make a great campaign into a greater one! I feel that this is a truly wonderful idea, and would open up even more conversation amongst us all...C'mon aboard!!
Gunny
redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 12:39 AM UTC
I知 still planing on joining this one.

If all goes as planed I値l be ordering Revell's 1/542 Battle of Midway Carrier kit.

A lot depend on how much money I値l have with hunting season coming up. I don稚 want to join until I知 positive I値l be ordering the kit.
I値l know by the end of next month.

If i get it I知 probably going to build it as the Hornet.
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
Model Shipwrights: 44 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 05:21 AM UTC
ill post up a reminder in the aircraft forum, there was quite a lot of interest from the wingnuts (myself included) but you do realise that there will be lots of questions about carrier decks from us (me especially!)
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 06:37 AM UTC
Hi all!

Wow! It's a bit windy here! And the see is rough today! I hope I won't get sea sick

I already enlisted in this campaign as I noticed it could include dioramas as well. So I ordered (and now have) an 1/48 Eduard Japanes Carrier Deck Base and plan to build a Fine Molds D4Y2 "Judy" for it...
I'm really looking forward to have some nice time to share with you guys! And more important, I'm glad to contribute to the campaign to remember Garry. I unfortunately didn't get the chance to know him, but from what I read in older threads he was a great guy...

Jean-Luc
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 10:08 PM UTC
Welcome aboard Jean-Luc!

I am glad you joined in and I am looking forward to see your Judy landing

Skipper
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 11:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all!

Wow! It's a bit windy here! And the see is rough today! I hope I won't get sea sick

I already enlisted in this campaign as I noticed it could include dioramas as well. So I ordered (and now have) an 1/48 Eduard Japanes Carrier Deck Base and plan to build a Fine Molds D4Y2 "Judy" for it...
I'm really looking forward to have some nice time to share with you guys! And more important, I'm glad to contribute to the campaign to remember Garry. I unfortunately didn't get the chance to know him, but from what I read in older threads he was a great guy...

Jean-Luc

Welcome. indeed, Jean-luc!
This is a side of this campaign that which will make things extra interesting, as we can also include all the wingnuts with the salts together into one big happy group build...I am so looking forward to seeing what may transpire within the entry's!
Gunny
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 11:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all!
Jean-Luc

C'mon Jean Luc, you know I wouldn't joke about this being the place the cool builders hang out...you're here aren't you?

Glad you came. Can't wait to see what you build!
Steve
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 04:21 PM UTC
Hi sailors and seamans!

Thanks a lot for your kind words! I hope this will be a successful campaign... in fact I'm sure it will!

Jean-Luc
wingsntreads
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 04:58 PM UTC
I will try my hand at this and build the Lexington in 1/700.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 07:03 PM UTC
i've enlisted sometime ago..
just a quick question

i have 1/350 USS Enterprise on the shelf for almost 4 years now...but i still couldnt figured out yet where to put the ship when it's finished..so i read this thread and noticed that NAVY ac can also participate...

so i have a tomcat which is finished for the Air Over The Sea campaign...but i plan to put in a deck dio...so i have the crews figures bought and some sheet styrene...can this qualify for this campaign??

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 11:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i've enlisted sometime ago..
just a quick question

i have 1/350 USS Enterprise on the shelf for almost 4 years now...but i still couldnt figured out yet where to put the ship when it's finished..so i read this thread and noticed that NAVY ac can also participate...

so i have a tomcat which is finished for the Air Over The Sea campaign...but i plan to put in a deck dio...so i have the crews figures bought and some sheet styrene...can this qualify for this campaign??

Greetings, Silantra...
To answer your question, unfortunately, no...only because you have models that are already finished, that you want to build into a dio...wouldn't really be fair to the other entrants who are building models to be used in their entry's...you know what I mean?...to be technical, according to the guidelines for any campaign the subjects entered must not be built or started before the campaign actually begins...I would love to see what this dio would turn into, but on this one I've got to say no... ...couldn't you think of another idea to start from scratch with??? I would really love to see your work in this campaign, mate!
Gunny
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 11:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I will try my hand at this and build the Lexington in 1/700.

Excellent, Winston!
Welcome aboard, mate!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 12:32 PM UTC
Hey guys...I've got the 1/450 IJN Akagi on the way! Can't wait! Gotta finish my Dreadnaught though.

Kenny
abbiesz71
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 38 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 07:07 PM UTC
Greetings and Howdies! This will be my first "Campaign Build" and I'm really looking forward to it. On the down side though, it kicks off a couple of weeks after I get home, so I'm not sure how the Girlfriend will feel about it, lol. Anyways, after reading through the posts here and doing some on-line window shopping, I have decided to build the Trumpeter 1/350th Admiral Kuznetsov. Haven't built anything that scale before so it outta be fun. Plus I kinda got a thing about the Russian Military, lol again. Looking forward to talking to you all again soon and Happy Modeling!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 09:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have decided to build the Trumpeter 1/350th Admiral Kuznetsov.

That is one fine kit. Did you pick it up at the Squadron sale for $80 back in May?
abbiesz71
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 38 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 09:40 PM UTC
Dammit, lol. Nah didn't see it back then. Saw it today. It's kinda on the pricey side but Heck, If I don't deserve it, who does. LOL Any issues with construction or is it a pretty decent kit?
 _GOTOTOP