_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/350 USS Ticonderoga
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Model Shipwrights: 27 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 03:43 PM UTC
Well after some time off I’m back in the modeling chair, this time something a little different. I have a 1/700 started for the Dreadnoughts Campaign that Blade48 sent me, so I thought I‘d start on this one as well. It’s Dragons 1/350 USS Ticonderoga. These two will be my first ever ships. Looking at the photos of the built model on the box sides, and looking at the box art I thought that I should do the railing through the ship. Starting with the masts, 0.5mm was used for the uprights, then I drilled tiny holes spaced around .5mm apart. The for the rails I used 0.3mm and glued on using Ten-X. This procedure will be done through out the whole ship. Yeah I know it’s going to take some time.

Had to add putty to both side of the hull.

Here are the many holes started on the deck.

I think my biggest challenge is going to be the scratch building both the AN/SPS-49 and AN/SPS-55 surface search radars.

One question you guys, the painting guide calls for Gunze’s “RLM dark gray” for the decks surface. Those paints are not sold at my local hobby shop, so what is the closest match can I use using Tamiya’s or Model Masters. Thanks…

Thanks Kevin and Mary
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 04:44 PM UTC
Joe,

I've got one of these lurking in the stash...I'll be anxious to see her progress from pieces to masterpiece! An "In-Progress" feature on this would be great (at least for me).

Good luck and don't go nuts drilling all those tiny holes...oh so many little holes, hole after hole upon hole.

Jim
fbuis
Visit this Community
Ain, France
KitMaker: 447 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 07:27 PM UTC
Joe,

That is a fantastic ship with your building skill !

Following Urban Fredriksson's Color Reference Charts Gunze Sangyo on IPMS Stockholm for the Gunze H68 RLM Dark Grey 74 - Graugrun (semigloss), you can get Humbrol N°27 or Xtracolor X206 or Testors MM 2084 (Enamel) or Testors Model Master - 4784 (Acrylic).

HTH.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 08:16 PM UTC
I bought that Graugrun color for the deck of my revell Uboat. Glad to see I can use it for something else. Me, I'm going for the easy way out...I'm gonna use a PE set for the railings and radar. I've got some goodies left over from my Toms Modelworks set for the Nimitz
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 01:42 AM UTC
Hi Joe!

Glad your back in business again!
Your Ticonderoga is turning great and I risk to say that with what I have seen so far (tackling the raillings like that - scratchbuilding them) you will have no problem with the radars

Keep the rest of us updated and if anything else is needed, we are here to help!

Skipper
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 04:00 PM UTC
D'oh!... Man Joe, What are you worried about ? For the first time I would say you're making it look really easy!

Awesome Bro...awesome!

And it's good to see you back in the saddle
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 05:40 AM UTC
Welcome back, my brother...
Looks good so far, and I don't foresee you having any problems with the radars. Keep it up, my man, and post lot's of pics for us to enjoy the ride with you!
Gunny
 _GOTOTOP