_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
USS Ticonderoga pt.2
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Model Shipwrights: 27 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 09:33 AM UTC
Here are the next set of progress photos of my 1/350 USS Ticonderoga by Dragon. I needed about 200 posts for the rails, used a home made jig to cut the many posts the same size. Post were 0.5mm and rails are 0.3mm from Evergreen Plastics.

Here they are instaled

The safety net around the Helicopter deck was made from 0.5mm brass rod and extra fine mesh screen.

The masts recieved the same treatment of Evergreen Plastics, the AN/SPS-49 radar was scratch built.

I have to say that I'm really pleased on how she came out and being that it's my first ship. I hoping to have it finished late next week. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Link to the first part: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/61052&page=1
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 09:35 AM UTC
Nice work so far Joe.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 12:08 PM UTC
My God, Joe, you are a patient man...I think I would've freaked at around post # 99!!! Looks great, Bro, keep up the fantastic work and keep the pic's coming!
Gunny
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Model Shipwrights: 80 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 10:30 PM UTC
Excellent work Joe, let me guess, there will be a helo on board right ?
Cheyenne

EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 02:18 AM UTC
I'm a tin can sailor Joe and I've gotta tell ya, I'm jealous that I don't even have the ambition that you've displayed to get as far as you've gotten. I'd love to have a wall of naval ships on display but all that antena wiring and handrail cutting would just stop me before I even purchased another kit.

Today on my shelf I have the Bismark and The Mighty Mo sitting there in its box staring at me from across the room. They are absolute dreams if I could build them and do it right. Keep up the fantastic job that your doing brotha and keep on inspirering us. One of these days I'll crack those seals.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 10:34 PM UTC
Hi Joe!

You have taken the bull by the horns :-)
It's comming out very good and another excellent proof that you don't need all that AM expensive parts, just woth patience and some work you can achieve very good results!
Keep up the good work and keep us updated

Skipper
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Model Shipwrights: 40 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 11:07 PM UTC
Oh no Joes become a Swabby!
I will advise you to stay away from the USS O'Meara, i hear bad stories about the out of control crew :-)
Seriously Mate, it looks good, don't ever complain to me about losing your eyesight or having wobbly hands because i will know your lying, those rails are fantastic.
Cheers mate, now git' r' done cap'n!
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Model Shipwrights: 213 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2005 - 02:49 AM UTC
Very nice work Joe, its nice to see that you scratch built the railing instead of using PE.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2005 - 06:10 AM UTC
All I can say is, Holy Crap Joe! That's awesome!

I really like your helo-nets and radar masts!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2005 - 07:53 AM UTC
What an inspiration. I've got this kit in the stash. As for me, well I dont have the patience you do and I am known for being a vey methodical person. I'll stick to the PE, but will never again complain about the difficulty or tediousness of it. I am most impressed with your renderings of the radar and mast arrays. I've got enough PE left over from my Nimitz to probably do this kit, but I think what I don't have I'll scratch rather than just go buy a PE set which would have been my first inclination. Thanis for sharing

Steve
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Model Shipwrights: 27 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2005 - 12:07 PM UTC
Many thanks guys. I just finished her up and I have to say she came out wounderful. I'm putting a Feature togather which will inculde the finished ship. It won't be a review due to the fact that I have no idea of Naval ships. The only thing I do regret is that I don't know how to use or own any of the photo shop softwere so I could have at lest one photo showing water and a back ground like some of the members do with their photo's.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2005 - 11:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Many thanks guys. I just finished her up and I have to say she came out wounderful. I'm putting a Feature togather which will inculde the finished ship. It won't be a review due to the fact that I have no idea of Naval ships. The only thing I do regret is that I don't know how to use or own any of the photo shop softwere so I could have at lest one photo showing water and a back ground like some of the members do with their photo's.

Amazing, Joe...looking forward to seeing the final, Bro...about the pics, if you want to you can e-mail me the pics with your ideas and I can crop em and work them into some decent shots for your feature article...my e-mail address is in my profile...(and I can get a sneak peek at the finished model too! :-) )...
Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2005 - 11:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The only thing I do regret is that I don't know how to use or own any of the photo shop softwere so I could have at lest one photo showing water and a back ground like some of the members do with their photo's.

Joe
This is my job
Just provide me with some good pics of the ship and leave the rest with me
You will be surprised (in a good way) :-)

Skipper
 _GOTOTOP