_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
S boote info sites
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 06:20 AM UTC
I finally broke down and got the Revell S-boote at a Hobby Lobby half off sale. I'm sure it's going to be a while before I build her but I'd like to strat gathering reference material. You guys care to share any good websites for info on the boats? I already know what I want to model, I just need to find the right boat. My inspiration comes from one visual image, a Royal Navy white ensign flying above the KM red ensign. I would need to choose a boat of the type in the kit S-100, that lasted throughout the war and was captured by the British navy. Any suggestions? Any suggestions on additional a.m sets to detail this kit would also be helpful.

Don't expect to see any pics of this kit for a while, I still need to finish Bismarck and several other kits, before I even start this one.

Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 06:55 AM UTC
Rodger,

Like you I have the same kit waiting in my stash - I also got the White Ensign PE set for her which looks pretty good, although I haven't started the build yet. Dare say there are other AM sets about as well. Did have quite a few online refs, I'll have a hunt about and see if I can find them again.
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 07:16 AM UTC
I've lost all my old S-boat bookmarks somewhere, however here's a good one courtesy of google:

http://www.prinzeugen.com/SBOATIND.htm (a very good reference)

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 08:11 AM UTC
Thanks for the site reference. Looks like I'll be trying to pick up one of those Squadron books at the May show. They usually have a fairly large selection they bring and sell for $5 each. Maybe they'll have one of these there.
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 07:50 PM UTC
Squadron sells both their book "Schnellboote in Action" and S-Boote, German E-boats in action, published by Histoire & Collections, authors Jean-Philippe Dallies-Labourdette. ISBN2-913903-49-5. Both books are excellent on German E/S Boats. HTH

Chief
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:26 PM UTC
I am in the same position as Graham - got the Revell S-100 Schnellboot, the WEM PE set and Histoire et Collections book on the S-Boats (as mentioned by Lauren) and another good visual reference is Classic Warships #15 Krigsmarine Schnellboote.

I think we all need a kick to start this beauty's

Skipper
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:39 PM UTC
True enough Skipper! Will be interesting with (at least) three of us building the same kit. However I must finish Campanula first, and there are also a number of other Campaigns that I'm signed up to.

So many models, so little time!
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 03:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

True enough Skipper! Will be interesting with (at least) three of us building the same kit. However I must finish Campanula first, and there are also a number of other Campaigns that I'm signed up to.

So many models, so little time!

Yes I know!
Same scenario here (not the HMS Campanula)!
Appart from three on going Review Items, still have the Dreadnoughts and Welcome to the Nam Campaigns entries to finish

But a good push would be nice, before the beast RevelloGram Gato pops-out and then I know what is going to jump for the top of the To-Do's List

Skipper
lennythexdca
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 34 posts
Model Shipwrights: 25 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 12:21 PM UTC
I was infatuated by the S-100 myself so I bought two of them. I also bought the WEM PE set for one of them. Overall I was impressed with the PE set, but there were some parts I didn't use. The handrails for instance were flat and I chose to use the kit handrails since they were round. In hindsight I will make them out of brass rod on the 2nd one. Also there are just now starting to be "crew" sets available. I made mine a waterline model with hopes of making a diorama using the cut off part of the hull as a capsized boat. I painted mine the "black Sea" fleet colors as you can see. It is still very much a work in progress but it will get there eventually.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 12:11 AM UTC
Hi Lenny

She looks great - perhaps some better pictures and we can make a MOD feature with them?
:)
Skipper
lennythexdca
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 34 posts
Model Shipwrights: 25 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 12:36 AM UTC
Thanks Skipper...I'll see what I can do. I will eventually finish this model, but I am not quite sure when.
 _GOTOTOP