_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Titanic...
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,396 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 07:22 PM UTC
Hi guys... I need some suggestions here.

I'm planning on getting my hands on a Titanic...
I'm fine with the scale of the kit.
Instead, I would love to hear from you guys on a good kit out there which you would recommend.

Edit: Oops... I hope I posted my question in the right place in the forum... I realized it's on "warships"...
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 07:33 PM UTC
I have the Academy 1/350th scale Titanic. I've not built it yet, but I can attest that it is, a nice kit and will make an impressive buid when it's finished. I'm pretty sure that its still available along with the Gold Medal Models PE sets for the grand stair case, davits, rails and deck chairs.

Have fun with it!
Steve
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 07:48 PM UTC
Hi JM

Welcome to Warships

Although this is named "Warships" there are several members that also build targets :-)

I never attacked a RMS Titanic model before, but I can point you to a good reference website:
http://debrisfield.russellwild.co.uk/index.shtml

This is the best reference website for liners that I know

Hope this helps

Skipper
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 09:15 PM UTC
I think your biggest issue is going to be what scale you want to build in. Because of my eyesight and fat fingers I prefer 1/350, but my wallet and limited space makes me want 1/700 or 1/600. Once you decide on the scale there are many great kits and the link Skipper sent can really help you.
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 813 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 12:26 AM UTC
I'm just building the Minicraft 1/350 scale for a client, not a bad kit (sure isn't a Tamiya, Hasagawa or Dragon), mine has lots of flash and the molds must be old as they don't always line up.As a previous poster wrote it will be impressive, but requires a bit more work to get there. BTW my kit is the one with PE for the railings. Out of 10 I'd give it a seven ( kind of)
Good luck
Cheers Joker
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 04:52 AM UTC
First, let me welcome you to our little section of Armorama. Most of us here are "omnivores" when it comes to modeling. We all do a mixture. If it has anything to do with ships, "floaty things" feel free to post it here. My ex-wife and I built the 350 scale Minicraft version. Personally, I hated it. I had a lot of problems getting some of the upper deck pieces to go on with out leaving gaps. It needs lots and lots of rigging (not as bad as a sailing ship) and I hate to do rigging. With all the windows, the hollowness on the inside stands out like a sore thumb. If I were to develop an interest in civilian "cruise type ships through the ages, I would probably go to the small 700 scale so the lack of detail doesn't show up as bad. I will emphasize that this is just my opinion and preference in types of models. I like battlseships and aircraft carriers large scale.
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,396 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 07:57 PM UTC
Hi guys,
thanks for the welcome and the information provided. I guess i'll be dropping by here more often. I actually started modeling 1/700 Tamiya ships (still a newbie though) before switching to armor. Now i'm stuck with both armor and ships... which might be a good thing.

Oh, and thanks Skipper for the link! Looked through it and saw some great builds. Very inspiring.

_GOTOTOP