_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Missouri Bling
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 11:14 PM UTC
OK, I finally got to the point where I can't do any more building and have to move on to painting. So I thought I'd post a few pictures of my 1/350 Missouri for the Dreadnaught Campaign.

Pictures are in the "In Progress" for Dreadnaughts, but here's a sample:

Tom

Edited by Skipper: Working pic - I couldn't see it
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 11:35 PM UTC
Very nice, Tom,
Been anxious to see your entry, mate! Keep up the great work and keep us posted on your progress!
Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 02:12 AM UTC
Those 40mm's came out nice. Did you replace the foredeck? It is not the standard grey of the kit? If so, why? You ought to see the Lion's roar set of PE I just got in for the NC. Talk about bling bling. Mine will be shinnyer than a rapsters teeth
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 02:33 AM UTC
Steve, yes, that's the "L'Arsenal" replacement, which was recommended by several of the guys on Modelwarship.com.

It corrects a couple of small errors on the Tamiya kit and has some added details. I scratch built the small enclosure with the added 20mm ready boxes which was also on the original at the time I'm modeling, i.e. July-August of 1945.

Still a lot of work to do, as I haven't even started on the afterdeck which includes the two catapults and the crane. And I haven't started on the radars, the details around the stacks, or the 20 mm yet.

Once I paint what I've got, I still have to add things like the railing and the inclined ladders and all the support struts for the overhanging platforms, as I figured they'd be in the way when I painted.

So far I'm happy with what I've got, it just takes so long!!

Tom
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 04:57 AM UTC
Amazing Tom, just amazing.

Kenny
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 09:08 AM UTC
She's sweet Tom, I really like the addition of the extra scratched details. I think it really brings it all together. I do have a question and this is to gauge if I can pull the Arizona together by the end of the campaign or not. How often do you work on your Mo and how long has it taken to get this far. I'm really sweating this deadline. I've way too many rods in the fire and the past few months have put several rounds into my model building.

She really looks nice Tom. I look forward to seeing her completed.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 09:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I do have a question and this is to gauge if I can pull the Arizona together by the end of the campaign or not. How often do you work on your Mo and how long has it taken to get this far. I'm really sweating this deadline.

Lately, it's been about 20 hours a week. I can usually get in about 3 hours three nights a week, and the rest on the weekends. I can just about guarantee I won't finish by the end of the campaign either. I just can't seem to let things "slide" that I know aren't right and that I can "fix". Today I spent about an hour and a half just scratch building the two navigation signal lights on either side of the bridge wing. But the ship has them, and the model didn't. It's crazy and I admit it, but for me it's what I really love about this hobby!!

Tom
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 12:18 PM UTC
Steve
If its the Trumpeter 350 scale Arizona, it goes together fairly easily. I had either a Tom's or a Gold medal model set of PE on mine. You should have enough time left to roll it out unless you start into the the scratch-built replacement pieces, Ship is close to accurate representative of right before the end. If you backdate......well that's a different story. Good luck
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 09:39 PM UTC
Hi Tom

Although I catch your photos in the Gallery only now I have the time to post
It shows that you have taken care into the Mighty Mo and it will deffinetly show when it's finished!
At a steady pace you have managed to make a great improvement - keep up and keep us posted on your progress, even if it is little

You will see, that once the main subassemblies are ready, it will be nearly done - just a little more work

Congratulations
Skipper
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 11:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve
If its the Trumpeter 350 scale Arizona, it goes together fairly easily. I had either a Tom's or a Gold medal model set of PE on mine. You should have enough time left to roll it out unless you start into the the scratch-built replacement pieces, Ship is close to accurate representative of right before the end. If you backdate......well that's a different story. Good luck

Steve,
No, it's the Revell kit. Now you can see my concern. I've stripped off the railings and tubs for the PE and fileed the sinks, so that much is finished. But, it's the application of the PE that really worries me the most. The painting I think will go smooth, but the weathering will eat up time.

Thanks Tom for your input, it does give me some idea if I can pull this off or not....It's going to be close. We may both need to ask for an extension.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 12:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Tom for your input, it does give me some idea if I can pull this off or not....It's going to be close. We may both need to ask for an extension.

I can just about guarantee that I'll be asking for an extension! But for me, finishing by the deadline isn't the most important thing. I wouln't consider leaving out anything that I'd otherwise do just to finish by the deadline. If I were doing this for a customer and had agreed to finish by a certain date, that would be different.

But then I'd be getting paid, wouldn't I???? :-) :-) :-)

Skipper: THANKS for fixing the link!!! I still haven't got the hang of the posting. I put them originally into my gallery and then "moved" them to the in progress build. They are still "available" in my gallery and the address appears to be the same, but after I "moved" them, I got the "dreaded red X", so I think moving them caused the problem. I tried to re-copy but to no avail. Whatever you did, I appreciate it!!!!!!

Tom
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 12:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Skipper: THANKS for fixing the link!!! I still haven't got the hang of the posting. I put them originally into my gallery and then "moved" them to the in progress build. They are still "available" in my gallery and the address appears to be the same, but after I "moved" them, I got the "dreaded red X", so I think moving them caused the problem. I tried to re-copy but to no avail. Whatever you did, I appreciate it!!!!!!

Tom

Hi Tom

I just went to the In-Progress gallery and copyed the url from there... nothing more
Yes the move action caused it
I really like your Mighty Mo, BTW

Skipper
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 03:23 AM UTC
Next step is doing some painting. Got to do some re-touching of the hull first. Once I get that done (AGAIN ) I'll mount the foredeck to the hull do any filling of gaps and then paint the haze grey on the front of the hull at the same time I do the foredeck. I'll go back and paint the deck blue and details by hand. The fit on the resin replacement isn't quite as good (no surprise) so that gets done first.

I'm still planning on NOT putting the main and aft decks down until the only thing left to do afterwards is the main deck railing. The plan here is to airbrush what I've got in haze grey, and go back and do the deck blue by hand. With all the "bling" I just can't even imagine masking the vertical surfaces. And in order to be able to actually reach all the decks, I've had to leave off some stuff that I'll probably paint separately and add later.

We'll see if that works.

Tom
 _GOTOTOP