_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
HMS Invincible 1914
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 11:19 PM UTC
As I may have mentioned, I had to shelve my Gneisenau build for the Dreadnoughts campaign for a couple of builds for the Battleship New Jersey Museum.

I'm building the Rhino Models 1/350 HMS Dreadnought (circa 1907) and the Iron Shipwright 1/350 HMS Invincible (circa 1914). Due to some unforseen family concerns, building has proceeded slowly (meaning I've done nothing lately!), but I've been able to get back to it the last couple of days.

The decks of both ships have been sprayed with WEM Teak. The Invincible's deck has been fully masked and she is awaiting further painting. I've got the Dreadnought in my office bookcase at work. During lunch I pull her down and get a little bit of masking done each day.

Here is how the Invincible looks as of last night. The turrets and smoke stacks are dry-fitted only.

The main battery gun barrels are turned brass from Steve Nuttall. I'm using plans from Sambrook Marine and a couple of books on the Invincible that I picked up to supplement the instructions from Iron Shipwright.

Plans for the Dreadnought arrived yesterday, and I was loaned a copy of AOTS - Dreadnought to help with that build. I'm going to try and knock out the Invincible first, since the period I'm depicting - late 1914 - she had lost her torpedo nets. The Dreadnought model requires torpedo netting, so I'll leave that nightmare for later.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 01:29 AM UTC
I don't think I ever realized she had three stacks. I guess because the third is so close to the mainmast. The thing that always strikes me so odd about most WWI ships is how clear the decks were, compared to WWII ships with all the light AA guns and such.

I take it that yellow stuff on the decks is some kind of mask? It makes her look a bit strange. Those brass guns though look excellent.

Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 06:18 AM UTC
Excellent work Martin, nice to see some pre- WW2 entries. I too am planning on building the HMS Dreadnought, by Combrig in 700 scale. If I could stop procastinating and just find my way to starting her!!!

Frank
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 07:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't think I ever realized she had three stacks. I guess because the third is so close to the mainmast. The thing that always strikes me so odd about most WWI ships is how clear the decks were, compared to WWII ships with all the light AA guns and such.

I take it that yellow stuff on the decks is some kind of mask? It makes her look a bit strange. Those brass guns though look excellent.

Yeah, it's going to be nice not to have so much deck clutter to deal with!

Yes, that's Tamiya masking tape. Best masking tape I've ever used.

Quoted Text

Excellent work Martin, nice to see some pre- WW2 entries. I too am planning on building the HMS Dreadnought, by Combrig in 700 scale. If I could stop procastinating and just find my way to starting her!!!

Frank

I've heard that's an awesome kit - time for you to get building!!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 08:09 PM UTC
Hi Martin!
Beautiful work, so far, Bro...I'm sorry to lose your talents in the campaign mate, but I'm glad to see these builds that you are sharing with us...keep up the FANTASTIC work, and keep posting these great updates!

~Gunny
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 04:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Martin!
Beautiful work, so far, Bro...I'm sorry to lose your talents in the campaign mate, but I'm glad to see these builds that you are sharing with us...keep up the FANTASTIC work, and keep posting these great updates!

~Gunny

Thanks Gunny, appreciate the kind words. Gneisenau is probably 80% done, so once these are done I'm going to go back to that build and wrap her up. Can't leave something for Garry unfinished!
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 06:27 PM UTC
Hi Martin

The thing that struck me most was the beautifull lines of her hull - smooth, but at the same time she bears some agressivness

Still a lot of work until she's finished and I wish you good luck with the torpedo netting

Keep us posted

Skipper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 01:43 AM UTC
I'ld love to build some of the WW1 era BB's. Problem is...resin kits that are $$$. Looks like a real beauty you've got going there. I was just daydreaming about what if someone let into Squadron for an hour or so and I could play "supermarket Sweep " and get to keep what I got. I know most of my time would be in the paint section grabbing six-packs of most of the Model Master eamels. I'ld also go after a couple of the resin 350 scale kits they have, probably those big 35th scale railguns, the Br52, but surprizingly little else, mainly supplies (IN BULK) and probably a bunch of reference books. Oh and one of those Aztec airbrushes with ALL the goodies.
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 07:48 PM UTC
This past Friday, I took the day off to get some work done on my Invincible and Dreadnought. Since Friday was a beautiful day here in the Northeast US, I spent the day with the airbrush, and made a ton of progress on my Invincible and Dreadnought. Here are some updated pictures...

Paints are a combination of White Ensign (the red on the hull, the light grey on the Invincible), Humbrol (the grey on Dreadnought) and Testors (gloss black for the boot stripes). Some touch up work is needed, but things are starting to come along. They certainly are starting to look like ships!

95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 07:59 PM UTC
Martin,

First, let me say, they are looking awesome. I can't wait to see them both finished. Secondly, can I ask what you are using for a masking material? I've been looking at the deck of my Arizona wondering how in the heck I was going to mask that wooden deck, yet expose all the deck fittings. Is that just masking tape or is it something a little more special? This is one of those things that keeps me awake at night wondering how I can pull it off.

Thanks for your time and a chance to see your awesome models!
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 10:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Martin,

First, let me say, they are looking awesome. I can't wait to see them both finished. Secondly, can I ask what you are using for a masking material? I've been looking at the deck of my Arizona wondering how in the heck I was going to mask that wooden deck, yet expose all the deck fittings. Is that just masking tape or is it something a little more special? This is one of those things that keeps me awake at night wondering how I can pull it off.

Thanks for your time and a chance to see your awesome models!

Thanks Steve, appreciate the kind words.

I used Tamiya masking tape. I lay a section down, gently burnish it with either the end of a paint brush or a small burnish took I have, then carefully trim around fittings and the edge of the deck. The Tamiya tape is very thin and will almost mold itself around deck fittings. It also comes in about 4 different widths, so I choose my width based no what section of the deck I'm doing.

It took me about three hours to mask off each deck, give or take (I did them at work during lunch).

I find that if I don't mask, I'm forever going back and doing repeated touch up. So, this method works for me, even though it adds time to the build (thank goodness I have my own office and can get some building done at lunch!)

HTH!!
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 03:51 PM UTC
Hi Steve

I have to second Martin on the Tamiya masking tape - the best I have used
Martin,

They are starting to look wonderfull - I really like those hull lines

Keep us posted
Skipper
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 09:01 PM UTC
Thanks Martin and Rui!

I will add that to my next modeling shopping list!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 12:10 AM UTC
Goodness Gracious those are just so beautiful. I wish I had the monetary resources to afford such fine looking kits. As to masking tape, here in the states we have something called blue painters tape which I find is absolutly wonderful. It has low tack so it doesn't pull paint off, yet it adheres so well to the form that you get very little seepage problems and you get a huge roll that will last you for years (yes even with all those 3 foot long ships do) for a eral cheap price....like under a $1
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 12:16 AM UTC
I use blue tape, but I can never seem to get it to work on much of a compund curve or sharp angles. Maybe I'm trying to cover too much area at once.

I have much to learn my Jedi masters
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 01:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I use blue tape, but I can never seem to get it to work on much of a compund curve or sharp angles. Maybe I'm trying to cover too much area at once.

I have much to learn my Jedi masters

The force will be with you, patience...

I use the blue tape too - but mostly for covering large areas that need to be masked, and not for detail masking.

It's also probably too heavy of a tape to work on a compound curve. The Tamiya tape is about $4.50 USD a roll, but well worth it, IMO.
 _GOTOTOP