_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
BB39's Launches and Life Boats
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 07:41 AM UTC
Does anyone know if Chesley's placement of the Arizona's life boats and launches are correct on his line drawing?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 10:09 PM UTC
I don't have an answer for you as far as that reference work, but I have a question for you? Are you doing her as she was at Pearl Harbor? If so you might not want to include many, or even any, of her boats and launches. In port most of those would be been in service ferrying men back and forth, or at the very least tied up alongside.

95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 10:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't have an answer for you as far as that reference work, but I have a question for you? Are you doing her as she was at Pearl Harbor? If so you might not want to include many, or even any, of her boats and launches. In port most of those would be been in service ferrying men back and forth, or at the very least tied up alongside.

Well, yes and no. I do plan to exhibit her as she was configured for that date, but, I thought I would go ahead and include all the launches and boats. I know that it's not historically accurate, but I'll be using her as part of display later on in the year and those who will see wouldn't realize that the launches would have been gone on that day. Plus, this way they can see where they were stowed. I've been debating the same thing about Kingfishers. I'll probably go ahead and add them. ( I don't think they were on board at the time...right?)
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 10:35 PM UTC
Unless she's docking (which is the case of my Arizona)

Steve I'll send you a scan of my instruction sheet tomorrow - my camera is dead and I have to buy another one - so no photos right now

Skipper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 11:48 PM UTC
My understanding that on the fatal day the Kingfishers were indeed absent. They also had the awnings over the decks (I guess front and rear). Like Halfyank , I too would thnk most of the larger launches would be docked alongside or at a ferry point. When I built mine, I just used palcement as shown in instructions. So mine will be a week before version
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 12:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been debating the same thing about Kingfishers. I'll probably go ahead and add them. ( I don't think they were on board at the time...right?)

Yes, they weren't aboard. Also, to be totally accurate, she didn't have her flag raised at the stern yet. If I can remember right they hadn't made it up the staff yet. Later, after she was sunk, the flag was raised. I could be confusing this with another of the BBs at Pearl that day.

95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 12:22 AM UTC
Ok, what I'll do then is go ahead and rig her with all launches and and her float planes. I'm going to fudge the historical accuracy on the grounds that those who will be seeing her will not be aware of these facts and will see her as she would have looked if she had been put to sea. I know, I'll just note on the data card that the launches and the Kingfishers would have not been stowed on board during the attack.

You're right Steve, there were canvas awnings fore and aft as well as another I believe just below the funnel. However, I will omit these as well for better viewing.

Rui, the instructions that you are speaking of, are they for the Banner or Trumpeter kits? I hope so, because from what I can tell of the Revell instructions, they are way off.

Thank you gentlemen.
Steve
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 03:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rui, the instructions that you are speaking of, are they for the Banner or Trumpeter kits? I hope so, because from what I can tell of the Revell instructions, they are way off.

Thank you gentlemen.
Steve

Actually...neither! They are from DML/Dragon 1/700 USS Arizona (and I am terribly sorry but I forgot them at home)

Skipper
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 08:44 PM UTC
No hurry, Skip, I'm waiting for the PE set anyway.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 05:35 PM UTC
Hi Steve

Late as usual (some things never change, right?)

Here they are - I hope this helps!

Skipper
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 05:54 PM UTC
Hey Steve,

I know at least the Admiral/Captain's barge would have been tied up along side. Kidd returned to the Zona just before the attack. I believe he exercised by swimming laps every morning. He was directing AA fire on one side of the ship when she blew.

Anyway, his launch would have definately been in the water that fatefull morning.

Gator
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 07:47 PM UTC
Thanks Rui and Ken,

You know, in looking at the instructions, it shows four launches. If I remember correctly, the Revell kit supplies only three. Good thing I have a spare Zona. I'll have to take a look at that this evening after I get home. Hmmmmm. I'm also glad the instruction show the racks that the boats set in. I can scratch some of these to replace the cheesy molded mounts on the Revell kit.

Thanks!
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 08:23 PM UTC
Hi Steve

Best way to scratchbuild the racks (as you call them) is this - never fails:
#1 - Use small saw (really small) and make cuts in the boats where the racks are supposed to be.

#2 - Cut a square of plastic card and insert it in the boat where you made the cut. Trim to level and glue!

#3 - Attach to Zona
;)

Skipper
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 11:19 PM UTC

Hey, thanks Rui, I never thought of doing it that way!

Quoted Text

Hi Steve Best way to scratchbuild the racks (as you call them)

So, what is the proper term?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 11:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey, thanks Rui, I never thought of doing it that way!

Quoted Text

Hi Steve Best way to scratchbuild the racks (as you call them)

So, what is the proper term?

I'm not sure but I think they were called cradles. I'm sure a former "deck ape" can tell you.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 12:25 AM UTC
Cradles was the word that came to mind for me as well
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States