_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
GHQ Miniatures 1/2400 scale kits
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 05:55 PM UTC
Any one ever build any of these?

I’m wondering about how long the battleships would be and if they have the bottoms of the hulls?

I’m thinking of possibly picking up 1 or 2 with each of my orders at Great models and then sometime (Probably a few years down the line knowing me.) Using them to make a Dio of battleship row after the attack.

Gunny
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 06:07 PM UTC
Hey Jacob. . .

VERY LITTLE, my friend! :-)

Jeez, Jake, I have enough fumbling to do with 1/700 scale! Most of these ships scale out to be from 1 to 4" in length, according to the manufacturer.

For a good idea of just how small these are take a look here, and go a bit smaller! Hope yer eye's are good!
~Gunny
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 06:54 PM UTC
Thanks Mark.

I know there really small thats the main reason I want to do it in this scale.
I figure 1/700 would take up to much space considering I’ll need about 5 ships lined up.
Should still prove to be a real challenge.

Now all I need to find out is if they stop at the water line or not. If not I’ll have to do some scratch work considering many of them were tilted some.

PS: mid post I got call saying I don’t have work today. Time to get some modeling done.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 07:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Mark.

I know there really small thats the main reason I want to do it in this scale.
I figure 1/700 would take up to much space considering I’ll need about 5 ships lined up.
Should still prove to be a real challenge.

Now all I need to find out is if they stop at the water line or not. If not I’ll have to do some scratch work considering many of them were tilted some.

PS: mid post I got call saying I don’t have work today. Time to get some modeling done.

Hey again, neighbor!

Good news about gaining some more bench time, mate!

About the waterline question, since these little beauties are designed for wargaming, primarily, all the ones that I've seen have been waterline. . .bu I don't see a problem with a little scratch building that might be required to fit these to your plans.
Heck, a little sheet styrene should do the trick, and for the size of these, not too many folks would be able to see any type of modifications!
Give it a go!
~Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 12:19 AM UTC
I've recently been aquiring and building the Superior brand 1:1200 ships. They are waterline. The Tennessee I have is 6 inches long, so you could build a nice diorama of battleship row with these guys, and there is enough detail it woud look really good. One of the companies that makes this scale does have markers, bouys and even some land mass to actually do it. Go to the ALNAVCO.COM site and research what all they have and I'm sure they have links to some other sites. Oh they also carry the 2400 scale as well, so if you go that way, what you can't find at GM, you could pick up there. BTW Yes they are waterline.

I have been getting my stuff off of ebay for a wee bit cheaper. I found that these ships get posted in different categories so in order to gather them all up I use the home page and enter 1:1200 I usually get close to 200 hits this way.
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 01:59 AM UTC
Mark your right it shouldn’t be too tough to add the bottoms at that size.
Well the Oklahoma may be a challenge. I’ll probably end up making it out of wood.

Thanks Steve.
I’m just afraid the 1/1200 cost too much for there size and I prefer plastic to metal.

I’ll check that site out and see what they have. And probably try ebay as well.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 01:46 AM UTC
GHQ is metal
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 03:21 AM UTC
Thanks Steve.

In that case I may end up going with 1/1200.

how easy is it to make changes to metal ships? Most of the ones I’ve seen and was planing on using are from later in the war or are a deferent ship of the same class.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 07:39 AM UTC
Not very hard Jacob. Go to any auto parts store and get a rattle can of Duplicolor etching primer. It's made for metal and it works great. I use it on photo etch on white metal figures.

Gator
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 07:59 AM UTC
I've done quite a few dioramas of large formations with GHQ-I like 'em and would like to do more!

Mike T
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 04:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Steve.

In that case I may end up going with 1/1200.

how easy is it to make changes to metal ships? Most of the ones I’ve seen and was planing on using are from later in the war or are a deferent ship of the same class.

Hey Jacob!

Don't worry about the metal thing, Bro!. . .Cyanoacrylate is a wonderful thing, and will attach plastic to metal, mate! So if you would like to fashion full hulls to these with styrene, although never attempted by meself, should be entirely do-able.
I've built many combo kits made up of resin/metal parts, and plastic/metal parts, so this wouldn't be any different, as well. Give it a go!
~Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 03:06 AM UTC
I know in 1200 scale, they do have a variety of stuff in 1200 that you can get accurate ships you need. They have all the ships available in their 1941 configuration. Pick up 2 Col 1941 and that will get you the WVA and MD, 2 Calif, 2 Okla, and 2 AZ. That will give you all 8 (unless you are not going to go very big and eliminate the PA and CA) I use some evergreen .020 rod to detail the masts a bit better than the kit does. I didn't look, but I am pretty sure you can get the Neosho as well. Like I said, go to the ALNAVCO .com site and look at all their offerings before you buy. Also check through ebay. enter through the home page buying and type in either 1:1200 or 1:2400 as these kits sometimes are listed in models and sometimes in collectables.
 _GOTOTOP