_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
What is the most important part ?
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 08:02 PM UTC
Hi

We are all building kitsets and we all have our "pet" or "particular" we consider important. Something that just has to be done just right. Maybe its gun barrels, PE railings, brass propellers or rigging.

Invariably we adopt an area of construction we must see done properly in our own models and we look for it in others models.

I quess at present mine for ships is waterlines however this will probably alter as I (hopefully) improve. To me they must be the right colour, in the right place and clearly definitive. They add the contrast for me to the often grey hull.

What do you consider is the most important part of the project for you?

Regards

Sean
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 08:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Regards

Sean

Great question, Sean. . .
and a real easy one for me, mate. . .the most important part of the project for me is, the FUN part (which, fortunately, hasn't left me in over 30 odd years of modeling)!
~Gunny
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 09:02 PM UTC
The project must have a meaning for me, it must be speaking about my life, if it does not I failed. The most important part for me is therefore the stressing moment when I just connect all the stuff together and see wether it works or not, it's the last 8 hours of work which will decide between dustbin and hall of fame. "Fun"? nah, "need" is the word for me
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 08:09 AM UTC

Regards

Sean

Hi Sean,

The most important part is some background research on the model that
I intend to build. This helps me add any little details that may enhance my
model.

And as Gunny said......HAVE FUN BUILDING!

Have a nice day and happy modelling!

Joe
Adolph
Visit this Community
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 171 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 11:24 AM UTC
I agree with Mark, the FUN part., but I also have the caveat ,never to let truth get in the way of a good story, it is only a plastic model after all!

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck ,it probably is a duck! Then again it could be just a decoy.

I guess really the most important thing for me is to do my best with what arrives in the box without being sucked into buying all the aftermarket drama.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 04:51 AM UTC
For me, actually finishing a model. I've a graveyard of partials.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 05:47 AM UTC
Part of the fun for me is learning the history of the ship. I really get involved with research. It seams to get me going and excited about the build.

Gator
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 06:20 AM UTC
assembling the kit. I spend hours researching and gathering the materials I'll need, PE, paint, paint scheme pictuers diagrams. and then the fun...putting it all together. Painting to me is most important part but not really a whole lot of fun. A bad paint job can ruin a great assembly while a great paint job can cover up a bad assembly
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 02:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

......... Painting to me is most important part but not really a whole lot of fun. A bad paint job can ruin a great assembly while a great paint job can cover up a bad assembly

I'm with you on that one Steve! I really enjoy doing the research on the original article I'm going to build, and also like finding out about all the best items to buy for making the kit as good as I can. And I totally enjoy the building process, especially when I'm having to scratch build something to add just the right touch.

But when it comes to painting....................... That is NOT something that I look forward to. But as you've said, it's so crucial to the finished product, there's always a fair amount of anxeity involved approaching that part of a build for me.

Tom
 _GOTOTOP