_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
warship campign????
KentVH
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 96 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2003 - 08:14 PM UTC
Thanks for the welcome Yoda :-)
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Model Shipwrights: 54 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 04:56 AM UTC
Like I said over on Sniper and Gunnie's Campaign proposal.....I have been on this site since Oct. and have never participated in a campaign before.....and now in the last 2 days I am mixed up in 2!!!!! The Cold War Armor...and this one......but alas....all is ok...as the start and end dates are spread out enough to get them done.

Is there a scale limit on this campaign? I had read something about limiting it to between 1/700 and 1/350 scales. I only have 2 ship models, one is a 1/350 Early Ticonderoga Cruiser by Dragon....and the other a Zhengdefu 1/260 Chinese Missile Frigate the Huainan.....and since I am not a ship man myself.....I think that last one I built was the old USS Lexington kit with the angled deck.....many years ago....like we are talking probably 20 years....and lets just say...that ships in general I suck at....so I would really like to build the Chinese Frigate for a couple of reasons, 1) its a unique subject, 2) I find it interesting over the multitude of Ticonderoga and Spruance class cruisers out there, and 3) it has a one piece hull as opposed to that Dragon monstrosity!!!!
So if there was this limit as to the scale.....my Chinese Frigate would be out.

Let me know if the scale is fine!!!

We still thinking March 24th? 50 days to build that takes us to May 13, and since the Cold War armor campaign is not starting until April 13, going to June 30....that gives me lots of time to do both. Although I have a aircraft I have to finish here for the model show in Halifax the first weekend of April....so probably won't be getting a start on the ship until after then!!!! Damn....under the gun already!!!!!
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 06:20 AM UTC
Scott, since this is the first warship event here on ArmormA, and we want as many people as possible to participate, the scale range has been widened to 1/250 through 1/700. :-)

Also, I've exteneded the build deadline by one day to May 14th for two reasons:
-There was something spooky about ending the build on the 13th
-this way the build ends on Wednesday

So, these are the rules:
----------
-You may build any warship kit between 1/250 and 1/700 scale
----Full hull or waterline kits make no difference
-The warship may be of any type in the time period of 1901 to present day
-No aftermarket details, BUT
---those who already own a PE or aftermarket set for their ship may use it.
-The build will start on March 24 and end on May 15th
---the deadline will be extended by 10 days if 50% of the participants aren't finished with their entries by March 14th.
-No prizes, but shiny campaign ribbons will be awarded to those who finish an entry.
----------

I'll go ahead and submit these rules to Jim for his approval.

YodaMan
KentVH
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 96 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 06:35 AM UTC
So do we start building on the 24th and No earlier?
i.e. Honor system
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 07:45 AM UTC
Yep Kent....honor system, besides, this ain't a contest or a race just a bunch of us guys (my generic for a group of people male or female) getting together sharing common interests
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Model Shipwrights: 23 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 09:52 AM UTC
So for those who are interested but don't fore from aft in the warship modelling community what would be a good ship to start with....
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 04:14 PM UTC
Hi Hunter:
That is a question that is asked all the time. The most common answer is the Tamiya 1/350 Fletcher. It is a straight foward fun build with no real fit problems.
Hope this Helps
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 04:30 PM UTC
I won a 1/700 IJN Myoko waterline ship by Hasegawa at an IPMS meeting. This will give me a chance to build it for some reason. Don't expect something that look much more than a painted OOB kit.
 _GOTOTOP