_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Elco PT boat questions
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 03:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Al, the boat is excellent, the figure painting is beyond my capabilities, but I am improving. Thanks for the link, I will definitly buy those and will make them "dropable" from the pt boat. That will be a nice effect at the next RC boat meeting where we drive in a pool ( I will re obtain my charges using a magnet)

Excellent work: have you used anything from eduard or lion roar?

Chris

Hello Chris, You're welcome, I'm glad I was able to help, and thanks for the compliment. I didn't use any other photo-etch parts besides what came with the kit. Dropable depth charges on a R/C boat really would be cool, but if you could make them explode, wow! Al
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 08:44 PM UTC
Hey Bill great work on your boat so far I,am also doing this kit for the stand by torpedos campaigne. I,ll not be adding as much interior detail as you but will hopefully be doing a few extra details.So seen this thread while on the hunt for info so hope you don,t mind me asking the more in the know guys that are helping out here a few of my own. on the referance photos of 617 from PT Boats in Action in the wheel house above the throttle controls there is a box with a dial gauge of sorts is this unique to this boat or would all boats have had this and whjat is it,s use
alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Model Shipwrights: 308 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 06:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...photos of 617 from PT Boats in Action in the wheel house above the throttle controls there is a box with a dial gauge of sorts is this unique to this boat or would all boats have had this and whjat is it,s use

Keith,

This is a fluxgate compass. The ELCO parts book and ELCO drawings show it fitted to PT486-544. 554-563, 565-624, 731-760. Don't know if it was retrofitted to earlier boats. Later Higgins PTs also carried it.

Al Ross
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 12:45 AM UTC
Thanks Al for that info
alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 04:24 AM UTC
Here are a couple photos of actual installations. The first is on one of the 560 boats in the States testing the MK50 rocket launchers. The second is 589 fresh from the ELCO plant. Note the differences between the two. The item on the post above the fluxgate on the 589 is the standard Pioneer magnetic compass.

Al Ross
xrz100
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 193 posts
Model Shipwrights: 186 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 03:36 AM UTC
AL,

currently it will be only about dropping of depth charges. Making them explode is a little more challenging as the captain has to ensure that the charge is dropped before explosion.

One at the time, the technique is available, in Germany we have to be a little careful when handling with gun powder. But it requires solid mechanic and timing before it runs like that

linkname

knowledge on this is not widely distributed

kind regards

Christian
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 05:55 AM UTC
Hello Christian, I was just kidding about exploding depth charges. I didn't think it was really possible. Al
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 01:07 PM UTC
"Flux Gate Compass" The forerunner of the flux capacitor.
rokket2001
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 331 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 01:22 PM UTC
That flux cap precursor was hard to use, they had to get the boat to 76kts... (88mhp)

Gator, just saw your USS Knox in your studio - looking great, but especially impressed with the radio gear, any chance of more info/pix on those boxes?
windjammerarts
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2015 - 02:25 AM UTC
Al, how can I get some drawings from the MIAMI aviation rescue boats Manual....I plan to make a model.
George Bieda
[email protected]
windjammerarts
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2015 - 02:28 AM UTC
Al,
How can I get a copy of plans from the MIAMI aviation rescue boats....I plan to make a model. My dad was captain of one of these boats converted to a sport fishing boat in Hawaii.
George Bieda
[email protected]
alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2015 - 08:50 PM UTC
George, I'm assuming you mean the 63' boats. If so, I'll upload some plans here tonight after work. Specifically what was your dad's boat number? It should start with a P.

Al Ross
 _GOTOTOP