_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Elco PT boat questions
niart17
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Model Shipwrights: 52 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 03:00 AM UTC
Hey all, this is my first post here so please be patient, i'm not sure what has and has not been discussed before.

Anyway, I'm building the Italeri 1/35 scale Pt boat and trying to detail out the interior a little bit since some is visible through open hatches. On the engine cover, right behind the main vent, there is a structure with what looks like a canvas cover, does anyone have any idea what that is and what is below the cover? also, would it be common for it to be opened? I'm sure there will be many more annoying questions to come, so please bear with me.

Thanks and I look forward to talking shop with you guys, even though I'm a wing-thing builder mostly.

Bill
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 07:38 AM UTC
hello Bill,
the best place to find out about PT Boats is a website called: ptboatworld.com.there is a guy over there,Garth,that is an expert on all things pt boats and all the kits that are out there.
cheers,
Bruce
niart17
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 07:58 AM UTC
thanks bruce, i'll have to check it out. i hope to have pics to post whenever i get far enough to show any progress.

Bill
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 08:24 AM UTC
Hey Bill,

Make sure you check back here from time to time. Dr. Al Ross and Garth Connolly both pop up here when there is a PT boat question. They are both very knowledgeable on the PT.

Kenny
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 02:24 PM UTC
What part numbers are you talking about?
niart17
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 03:36 PM UTC
the parts are 28D and 29D. it looks like it is some sort of cabinet with a canvas cover. i would think it look like a signal flag locker, but it's not in a very convienent place for that so i'm stumped.

another area i'm not sure about is the inside of the 50 cal turret tubes. the kit has them wide open to the inside which doesn't seem right. would it just be a curved wall all the way around or is it actually opened like the kit has? so many questions.

thanks,
Bill
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 10:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey all, this is my first post here so please be patient, i'm not sure what has and has not been discussed before.

Anyway, I'm building the Italeri 1/35 scale Pt boat and trying to detail out the interior a little bit since some is visible through open hatches. On the engine cover, right behind the main vent, there is a structure with what looks like a canvas cover, does anyone have any idea what that is and what is below the cover? also, would it be common for it to be opened? I'm sure there will be many more annoying questions to come, so please bear with me.

Thanks and I look forward to talking shop with you guys, even though I'm a wing-thing builder mostly.

Bill

Hi Bill, sorry about the late post, but real life has a tendency to intrude upon the "finer" things at times, but anyhow, Welcome to Model Shipwrights, mate!

We have some major knowledge in many areas in our waters here at MSW at any given time, and especially with the PT craft (as has been mentioned previously) both T.Garth and Al Ross are members here, and do add a wealth of information always...I'm going to move this from the Chartroom over to the "Military Small Craft" forum for easier access to all who may find the topic of interest...more to follow, I'm sure!
Cheers,
~Gunny
niart17
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 11:21 PM UTC
Thanks gunny, and thanks for the warm welcome. sorry about posting in the wrong area. i was kind of thinking it should go here, but i wastn' totally sure about it. i look forward to good times here with you guys.

Bill
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 04:08 AM UTC
Bill,

Hello. As I'm not familiar with the kit's parts numbers - I'll go on your discription of the part. I think you're describing the storage bin/rack for the ammunition clips for the 40mm gun sir.

Does this help you?

Garth
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 04:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hello Bill,
the best place to find out about PT Boats is a website called: ptboatworld.com.there is a guy over there,Garth,that is an expert on all things pt boats and all the kits that are out there.
cheers,
Bruce

Me Bruce? An expert? Gawd no Man. But, thank you anyway.
niart17
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 05:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bill,

Hello. As I'm not familiar with the kit's parts numbers - I'll go on your discription of the part. I think you're describing the storage bin/rack for the ammunition clips for the 40mm gun sir.

Does this help you?

Garth

well that certainly makes sense being that it's right in front of (or behind if you're on the gun) the bofors. of course, now that you tell me this, i looked again on ptboats.org and lo-and-behold found a picture of it opened with all of the clips lined up in it. Thanks. i may try to open that puppy up, just for a little added interest. it looks like they are just sitting on some sort of shelf system, it shouldn't be too hard to scratch something up.

Thanks again everyone. as i said, i'm sure i'll have many more questions as this build proceeds.

Bill
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 06:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Bill,

Does this help you?

Garth

well that certainly makes sense being that it's right in front of (or behind if you're on the gun) the bofors. of course, now that you tell me this, i looked again on ptboats.org and lo-and-behold found a picture of it opened with all of the clips lined up in it. Thanks. i may try to open that puppy up, just for a little added interest. it looks like they are just sitting on some sort of shelf system, it shouldn't be too hard to scratch something up.

Thanks again everyone. as i said, i'm sure i'll have many more questions as this build proceeds.

Bill

Bill .............

If you'd like, you can email me at [email protected] and I'll try and help you as much as I can ...

Garth
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 11:41 AM UTC
Hello Bill, one suggestion I would make is to replace the kit's plastic prop shafts with brass rod. They are very exposed and prone to breakage. Having broken mine numerous times, I wish that I had. Hindsight is always 20/20. Good luck with your build and I hope to see some pictures soon. Al
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 884 posts
Model Shipwrights: 135 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 08:08 AM UTC
Hi
Have to agree with Al on that I've broken mine 2 or 3 times before I mounted it onto its base.
niart17
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 04:50 PM UTC
hey all. i thought i'd post a few in progress shots. i decided to scratch a little of the interior since some will actually show up through open hatches. the first few art of the chart house and the last ones are of the day room with a couple of bunks and a storage bin. i probably won't get too detailed, just enough to give the wandering eye something to look at.

thanks for checking it out. comments and suggestions very welcome.

Bill
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 06:45 PM UTC
hello Bill,
great looking build so far.i have been reading a book on the basics of ship building,and from what i have seen, you are doing what the master builders have done.giving your build detail takes it from a run of the mill build to a great build.
keep up the hard work and please keep us posted on your build.
cheers,
Bruce
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
Model Shipwrights: 292 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 01:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the parts are 28D and 29D. it looks like it is some sort of cabinet with a canvas cover. i would think it look like a signal flag locker, but it's not in a very convienent place for that so i'm stumped.

another area i'm not sure about is the inside of the 50 cal turret tubes. the kit has them wide open to the inside which doesn't seem right. would it just be a curved wall all the way around or is it actually opened like the kit has? so many questions.

thanks,
Bill

The .50 cal. positions were closed tubes with a seat for the gunner. The seat was on tracks, and the gunner used his feet to simply "walk" the seat and the guns around to train them.
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 10:26 AM UTC
So far so good Bill.
niart17
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 03:47 PM UTC
[quote
The .50 cal. positions were closed tubes with a seat for the gunner. The seat was on tracks, and the gunner used his feet to simply "walk" the seat and the guns around to train them.[/quote]

thanks, that's kind of what i thought. the open tub just didn't look right. So it was totally closed off? i mean there wasn't any access from below the deck, they just had to climb in from the top?

Bill
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 05:43 AM UTC
Actually, the gunners stood in the turrets.

The backrest was actually how they trained the guns. They would press back on it in whichever they wanted to go, left - right .........

Garth
niart17
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 10:03 AM UTC
ok, next question. does anyone know of a good source in the U.S. for replacement .50 cal barrels? i really like the ones included in the Lion Roar set, but that's a bit more than i want to spend on a detail set and i don't think they sell just the barrels. i'd prefer brass, but anything that is an improvement over the kit would be good.

Thanks everyone.
Bill
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 10:14 AM UTC
Try using Tamiya plastic .50s .........
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 01:51 PM UTC
Try these Bill.

http://www.thebarrelstore.com/Barrels.htm

Kenny
niart17
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 12:21 AM UTC

hey Kenny, is that possibly the wrong link? it links to Garth's article about revell pt boats. it's a great article and very informative, but i didn't know if that's what you meant to link to.

Thanks,
Bill
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 01:39 AM UTC
Yep, that's the wrong link. Try it now.

Kenny
 _GOTOTOP