Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Italeri 1/35 scale S-100 Schnellboot
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 336 posts
Model Shipwrights: 333 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 01:53 AM UTC
Hi Chris,
Julian also raised the question of whether the woodwork was painted or not. Personally I tend to think that it was the same dark grey colour. Some pics at least seem to show that the foredeck and the gangways were the deckcolour (see Speer S-Boot pic Bundesarchive). Only yesterday I had a look at Kevin Wenker's Revell S-100 build, he also seemed to think that the areas I mentioned earlier were just dark grey (it's simply the best Revell S-100 model I've come across so far)
https://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/forums/104014&page=1
I also wondered why Italeri opted for pe woodwork instead of just plain plastic stuff. It's way too thin but I will leave it as it is because correcting the kit is so much work already.

Cheers,

Arjan
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
Model Shipwrights: 105 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 02:11 AM UTC
Thanks Arjan -

That helps confirm that I had been thinking because the decking on either side of the bridge sure look to be dk. grey. As far as adding the strips to the photoetch I have been trying to resist but I just can't seem to hold back.

I agree with your assessment on the moulding quality - while generally good there is too much parts clean-up and prep for my taste.

Chris
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 06:05 AM UTC
Missed joining in the discussion yesterday and the thread seems to be moving fast at the moment. I see that Kevin has painted the duckboards on deck in a natural wood finish and has made the higher situated duckboards grey which to me seems rather illogical. His model is really good but what always (being an ex-tug and supply vessel mate) folds me up is very twee little coil of mooring line on the fore deck. This is ridiculous. The mooring line would be wrapped around the screws after about three waves coming over the bow effectively putting the boat out of action.
The mix of DC's and mines is very, very tempting I must confess.
For MacDurd: how about going the whole hog and using balsa strips instead of the PE pieces (you can stain them too !).
Arjan, the fuel hoses alongside the foreward deckhouse, surely the ramrod straight kit pieces should be replaced with real hose then? the foreward and aft pieces would seem to be a connector with some strengthening added to the hose but the rest would surely hang down toward the deck? Not tomention looking really good on the model.
Cheers,
Julian
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 08:39 AM UTC
Julian -

Ohhh, I have thought about it, but if I did that then I would be tempted to redo all of the duckboards...must resist...

Chris
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 08:48 AM UTC
Hi Julian,
I know you love painting natural wood so I will not deny you that pleasure The mix of depth charges and mines would be my only criticism (lacking true naval experience ) , such a mix seems very unlikely to me but then I don't believe S-100 boats ever carried depthcharges anyway. The use of these was probably restricted to early war days and they were probably hardly ever used in the Channel area. I think I will act on your advice and exchange the plastic hoses for something more suitable. Would anyone have any pics of similar hoses?

Arjan
dsotm
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 357 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:42 PM UTC
Not sure if you guys have seen this one. Chris Timms has a site dedicated to his father and there is page on the E-boat surrender at Felixstowe. He kindly sent me the link and large versions of the images there Roderick Timms

Here is a good shot of the open bridge

Brian

awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:09 PM UTC
Hi Brian,
Great pics! Thanks a lot for sharing them The bridge pic shows quite a bit of extra detail that could be added.

Cheers,

Arjan
Ascaria
Visit this Community
Wroclaw, Poland
KitMaker: 253 posts
Model Shipwrights: 141 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:33 PM UTC
Hi Arjan

with greatest plesure i can tell You that i have my S 100 on my desk Maybe its not perfect but looks good and Italeri have done a good job.

Now I am waiting for Nurenberg Toy fair like a child for Christmas

awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:00 AM UTC
Hi Wojtek,
I think most modellers are children at heart Good to hear that you are working on the kit as well. It makes me wonder how many people are working on it worldwide, I'm sure the Italeri salespeople must be rather pleased

Cheers,

Arjan
Ascaria
Visit this Community
Wroclaw, Poland
KitMaker: 253 posts
Model Shipwrights: 141 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 01:23 AM UTC
I didn't start yet my works on my S-100 because I am still waiting for news about this model :

http://data4.primeportal.net/models/thomas_voigt1/trumpeter/images/trumpeter_46_of_58.jpg

Trumpeter Arizona in 1:200 I don't have enough money and time for two big and expensive projects, and I will wait to see what Trumpeter will be able to show in Nurenberg

Regards from Wroclaw
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 04:41 AM UTC
Thank you very much Brian, this excellent. I was just starting the wiring on the torpedo aiming device so this is a great help.
Welcome aboard Wojtek
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 05:24 AM UTC
Hi Julian,
It really is a fantastic photo, I wonder what the container/holder beside the door is meant for. It also appears that the speechtubes have different mouth and ear pieces, I had thought they were identical. There are also clips to keep the windscreens upright. The bow view of the other boat is also interesting in that it shows how the tubcover was fastened to the deck.

Cheers,

Arjan
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 08:34 AM UTC
Thanks for the photos Brian - great stuff!!

Two observations:

1. it looks like at least one of the vessels had ther inner face of the karolette hatches painted black (the shot of the two s-boots side by side and the shot of the bridge under way). Note that the adjacent s-boot had the hatches painted the bridge color on the inner face.

2. the front 'turret' cover is significantly darker than the surrounding deck on both vessels - perhaps black?

More stuff to add to the list of tweaks......

Chris
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 05:16 PM UTC
Looks like natural unpainted wood duckboard in the photo
Really excellent for detailing.
Julian
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 06:26 AM UTC
While also taking a good look at these great photos Note that the Lang boats deck dark colour does not go around the tube housing as far as the other.Arjan do you have any idea of the sizes for the extended gun sheild on the aft 37mm.Moving along slow at the minute with my build as work has started to pick up a bit
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 07:33 AM UTC
Hi Keith,
Good to hear that work is picking up. I have no idea of the size of the extended gunshield . I suggest that you tape pieces of cardboard to the gunshield and compare these to pics. If they are too big, simply cut a bit off. This is simply a matter of trial and error, when you are satisfied with the dimensions, you could make a plastic or metal set. I have discovered that the metal holder/rack in the bridge pic is meant for 7.92mm Mg 34 ammo boxes. The squadron book has a pic of a similar rack on the forward bulkhead, to the right of the port torptube (I assume there was a similar rack beside the starboard torptube as well):

Cheers,

Arjan
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 02:42 AM UTC
Arjan thanks for the idea to get right size will give it a go
dsotm
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 02:39 AM UTC
Just got my depthe charge set from Cammetts and thought I would share. Casting is excellent, no warping, bubbles etc. Came with steel tube and rope for the release mechanism but I felt like scratching those bits - tried to get as close to the ref pic as possible but a bit of artistic licence is involved
see what you think.

Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 03:16 AM UTC
Looks very nice indeed Brian, will "busy up " the stern section of the boat. I am patiently waiting for Robert Schatton to produce his set of mines. I bought an existing mine from the "Sockel shop" in Germany, check the thread here:
http://cs.finescale.com/forums/1048394/ShowPost.aspx " TARGET="_blank"> http://cs.finescale.com/forums/1048394/ShowPost.aspx
This mine is huge although it is supposed to be 1/35th scale. Can't even begin to think what 6 of these would do to the boats trim.
Cheers,
Julian
dsotm
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 03:58 AM UTC
Hi Julian

I know Robin is working on a set of mines (with their bases/trolleys) and rails for release soon.

More as soon as I get it

Brian
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 05:06 AM UTC
Here are some progress pictures from a good day of work yesterday. I modified the raft, added extensions to the gun shield and in a fit a craziness drilled out and added depth to all of the various hull openings. I added the tubes on the inside of the hull to an exaggerated depth because I wanted to convey a sense that the pipes go somewhere instead of just terminating. The largest openings were the trickiest using some flexible tubing I was able to feather them in with some thick setting CA.

Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 05:58 AM UTC
Beautiful work there McDurd, I added pieces of sprue to the inner hull of the Revell S-100 to add depth to the exhausts etc. This looks just right.
The rafts supplied with the kit are pretty hopeless no matter what you do with them. Still trying to come up with a "cunning plan " for them.
The extended gunshield is great ! This is a must and you have done that very well indeed.
Cheers,
Julian

Photo's added on Fine Scale Modeler:
http://cs.finescale.com/forums/1085361/ShowPost.aspx#1085361 " TARGET="_blank"> http://cs.finescale.com/forums/1085361/ShowPost.aspx#1085361
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 07:23 AM UTC
Nice work gents! Chris, I like your upgraded raft and the way you added depth to the hull openings. I wonder what reference you used for the shield extensions. The extensions on the Lang and Ha-Jü boats appear to be somewhat bulkier (the top panels had a trapezium shape rather than a triangular one). I know I'm a hair-splitter Besides, I haven't made any progress myself (apart from adding screwheads to half of the stanchion feet). I do envy your painting skills Julian

Cheers,

Arjan
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 08:04 AM UTC
Thanks Julien and Arjan -

On the Gun shields I used the highly scientific TLAR system - "That Looks About Right"! This was my second effort and I think that I will leave well enough alone - at least for now....

I think I will tackle the foredeck next - looking at references it seems that I will have some more work addressing seams there. Luckily I have plenty of the Archer rivets available to replace what I lose.

Chris
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 06:24 AM UTC
Coming together:

Touch up time again but I am enjoying this