_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
Plastic Wood Deck Painting.
Sammuel
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
Model Shipwrights: 95 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 05:30 AM UTC
Just gathering all my paints for a Reveel USS Arizona 1/426 build. My PE set came in from GMM. I still have some small projects on the bench that I'm working / practicing with before I start this one. I want to take my time and really work on my planning and research on this one. This will be a center peace for a new den area I'm having built into the house.

The plastic wood decking is good and I'm not much of a painter. What would be the right color besides primer to start with and what does the group recommend about a wash to make it stand out more. I have never done a wash on a project yet, so need plenty of help.

Can you buy pre-mixed washes?
What is an easy way to make a wash for the plastic wood deck?
Are MIG wash the way to go?

Any help would be great. Thank you
Sam
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 06:58 AM UTC
Hi Sammuel

You could paint the deck Teak (I have an old Humbrol Authentics, but WEM Colourcoats Teak will do (also have it)).
After let the paint cure for three or four days (considering you have the model in a room at about 18~21º C) apply a coat of brushed Burnt Sienna artists oils. Immediately after the application remove it with an old cloth (be sure it doesn't leave fibers) or paper tissue.
Rub the cloth/tissue until almost everything is gone.... This will tint the original paint color and it will leave some darker shades on the engraved panel lines.

Be sure that the enamel paint is completely cured or this procedure will act as a paint remover.
If you use acrylics, I would recommend a day to cure.

This is what I have done for: USS Arizona BB-39 and for Skipper MSW Staff Build Blog 1/700 USS Texas .

Hope this helps, but I advise you to try first on a old model or on a piece of grooved evergreen sheet (similar to planking)
Cheers,
Rui
Sammuel
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 08:56 AM UTC
Rui

You are the master ship builder!! I have seen your work in photos and hope I can achive what you have done.

Thank you for the info and have just been back into modeling for 6 months. I keep saying I will post photos......my wife (the hobby photographer) needs to get them taken for me. Should have some soon.

Thank you

Sam
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 10:25 AM UTC
There ae some acrylic commercial washes that are available. One is "The Detailer" I used it on a tank and it was great. Dade used it on his real wood deck for the Kongo and it is spectacular. They have several different colors. I gota brown that I plan to use on my Akagi as I am not paying $125 or so for a wood deck for an aircraft carrier.
Sammuel
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2009 - 08:35 AM UTC
Steve;

Thanks for the info. Will they carry it at a good local HS or do I need to order it on line?

Sam
 _GOTOTOP