Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
"Divine Waterline"
Frigate
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 205 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 01:43 AM UTC
Guido,
For my input, I recommend build the diorama the way you prefer....you are the one that will be looking at it for years. Besides,it's your model, and this is a hobby. I really think you're doing an extremely nice job, and really enjoy your updates. My point is: build it the way YOU want it, and enjoy ! Please keep up the great work, Thanks......Bruce
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 05:54 AM UTC
Hey Guido!

Regarding the state of the boat's rig, I would depict her with as much jury rig repair as possible, just like the movie. Lacking any photographic evidence or survivor testimony, I would err on the side of the best traditions of seamanship. The crew of the Gail were fine sailors and they would certainly have done their utmost to keep their vessel as seaworthy as the conditions would have permitted.

About the wave, I am pleased with the effects I'm getting with saturating polyfibre with white artist's tube paint--when dry, it's easy to cut and position and looks like foam.

My first entry, "Counterblow", will be going before the lens this weekend, so I will be able start my own perfect storm next week. I've settled on the USS Dewey in Typhoon Cobra in December 1944, so the gray seas and flying spray will follow soon!

--Karl
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Model Shipwrights: 676 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 - 11:49 AM UTC
Gentlemen-

Thank you for offering your opinion.
I think I will go with the damage received as in the movie. That’s we can hold this build against, so I’ll stick to what was provided by the film makers.
Thank you for your many kind comments here on the board and by private message.

---

AS announced I went on to build the outriggers. They turn out to be the nastiest part of the build so far: 5 beams and 5 bracings can’t be that hard to build, if it wasn’t for their curved shape. Ok, here is the start

It was enough to make me mad and I didn’t like the result on bit, so I turned to weathering and dry brushing the boat.

When coming back to the outriggers I eventually didn’t like to continue them so I went to town with the wave.
From humble beginnings…

… to a styro-foam sandwich…

… and on to some big wave.

I think it is important that in such a scene you need to cut deeply into the water. You need to take a whole section of the ocean and freeze it onto your display.

Instantly you want to grab the model and find the proper place for it: Far up, far down, pulling to the right or left… Many decision need to be made an to tfind that one perfect spot these photos come in handy:

It took about an hour to shape the wave out of that block. I’ll be looking at it and correcting the shapes for at least another 2 hours tomorrow before making the frame and starting to paint.
I hope I’ll get the mood up to continue the outriggers, too…

Nightynight!

Guido
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 - 12:21 PM UTC
Hallo Guido

The wave looks good, although missing the texture and colour!
I like the tests you made with the Andre Gail in different places... move it around until you find the right spot for it to sit - I usually do this for my dios

Keep up - and you know my feelings about the outriggers
Rui
ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 246 posts
Model Shipwrights: 221 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 07:08 AM UTC
Well, This week I thought I'd better get started on this campaign. I broke with my IJN tradition and decided to model something else. I'm scratchbuilding the SchnellBoote S-100 in 1:700 scale. I there are a few things wrong with it but it is mostly turning out ok.

I'm strongly considering putting a crew on this build. Canany give me advise on uniform and life vest colors for the kreigsmarine? Thanks in advance.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 07:15 AM UTC
Hi Anthony

Good show mate! (hmm you could get your hands on one of those skywave Schnellboat/MTB/PT-Boats boxes, but then, it wouldn't be THAT FUN, right?)

As to your question:
Uniform: Black or Medium Grey if wearing leather vests
Life Vest: Yellow (a hue very near to orange, but still yellow)
Helmets (guys manning the guns wore them): Dark Grey

Hope this helps,
Cheers and keep up the good work
Rui
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 07:48 PM UTC
Anthony!
Nice of your to join in!
Great start! Any clues concerning the water display you'll choose?
Cheers,
Guido
ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 07:49 PM UTC
Thank you Rui! That is exactly what I needed to know. Now about how many crew members would look good on the deck of the ship?
ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 07:55 PM UTC
Hello,
The display is going to be a fairly calm sea, about 3x2 inches, the ship just cruising. I'm going to try a new technique though which is why I wanted something small. Here is hoping I can make it look good.
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 08:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you Rui! That is exactly what I needed to know. Now about how many crew members would look good on the deck of the ship?

Here's somthing that should help you with the colours. Scroll down at
http://www.prinzeugen.com/Men.htm

Concerning crew for a patrol cruise you should be good showing:
1 manning the focsle 20mm
3 manning the bridge (skipper, officer, helmsman)
1 manning the lookout position
3 manning the twin 20mm (gunner and 2 loaders)
4 manning the the 3,7cm ( 2 gunners, 2 loaders)
2 manning the depth charge/mine equipment (if your boat carries such)

ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 03:04 AM UTC
More work done on the S-100 this weekend. I've moved on the the fitting out stage. I should be able to start work on the water base next week. The wood will be weathered better after the final flat coat goes on with chalks.

Thanks for the crew information everyone. The info is exactly what I needed. Now a torpedo question, there are a lot of good 1/72 Revell S-100 models out there on the internet but several if not all have different colored torpedoes. Some have black head and dark metalic body some have a copper head and light gray body. Which is correct?

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 03:36 AM UTC
Anthony,

That is insane! I would need to rest my poor eyes for a week after that. Great job!

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 07:04 AM UTC
Hi Anthony

The Schnellboot looks great!!!

As for your question, the torpedoes, that should be G-7a or G-7e ones, should have the body in steel (polished) and warheads in black/dark grey. Pistol (front of the torpedo) should be in light grey...

Hope this helps your project
Cheers and keep up the good work
Rui
ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 08:39 AM UTC
Thank you Jim and Rui. All I'm seeing are the problem areas, I keep having to tell myself it will look better once the clear flat goes on. Rui, that really helps with the torpedos but I'm still a bit confused, it is my knowledge of the kreigsmarine though. I get the steel body portion fine, I just need some clarity on the warhead. Is the warhead the first 3 scale feet of the front of the torpedo and the pistol the first scale 6 scale inches of the torpedo tip or the little button on the tip?

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 10:04 AM UTC
Anthony,

You're right about the torpedo details
And even the torpedo fins are in steel color (forgot to mention this!)

The problems you mention, will disappear as you say, with the exception of two:
- the junction near the torpedo doors;
- the vents need to be drilled

Apart from this... A+

;)

Rui
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 10:11 AM UTC
Very nice work guys.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 07:37 PM UTC
Awesome work on that S-boat !

Guido - likewise impressive work on the boat - looking forward seeing your work on the wave!

My XXIII is still sinking .. in ...
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 02:07 AM UTC
After getting some time in at the workbench have got most of the superstructure built up and the first splash of colour on,I have had a few fit problems with this kit the worst being the starboard side of the cabin to line up with the rest of the superstructure causing a gap between the cabin wall and main deck all along the side but with quite a bit of filler have managed to hide this

Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 06:06 AM UTC
Gentlemen –

Good going there! Nice to see some action from you guys. Keith: go slow and careful with the gaps. Every minute spend in clean assembly will be rewarded.

I’ve been pretty busy again, so the progress on the project is kind of slow.
After shaping the wave, I added a frame from 3mm plastic sheet. It’s some kind of recycling material so it was quite cheap. Again, trying something new saved me a lot of money, as using Evergreen would have cost a lot more than the 1.95€ I had paid for a 50x30cm sheet.

In a next step the whole scenery was painted with thick layers of acrylic gel. When you take your time, the gel starts to set while you work. That gives you chance to sculpt structures and wave patterns. I used the gel to make the gap between the frame and the Styrofoam vanish, too.

After some days I got back to the base and found that the crest had sagged while setting. So I added another layer for the crest.

After another day of drying I, smoothed over the edges of the frame and primed he while assembly. I used a primer usually used for figure painting. I found that stuff excellent for application of acrylic artists paint and it’s quite a bit cheaper than Mr. Hobbies product.

Drying time again – I did go on a bit with the outriggers, but haven’t taken photos, yet.
With the primer fully dried I took out the usual selection of acrylic artist’s paints - black, white, dark green and three shades of blue – and my trusty, stiff-bristled brush.

Now, I will be basically repeating the steps already shown in my build-up report on the Leipzig during the build-up contest. First everything gets covered in black. Then I add blend of black and some blues. I used a camera flash to make his visible, so don’t trust the colours.

Then I add green and white blended towards the crests and fading out towards the trough.

Letting the whole show rest for an hour the paint dried sufficiently to start dry-brushing starting with dark greys with a think of green to very very light grey. I have not used any clean white.

Satisfied with the result so far, I started painting the frame with my airbrush using WEM’s Cowl Black Satin colour coat.

TBC

Guido
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 06:13 AM UTC
Hallo Guido!

Excellent wave painting, very convincing turbulence shades!
Please take attention to the left side of the wave... it hasn't received the same kind of treatment as the rest of the wave, and it makes a strange color "gap"

With the Andrea Gail in it it will be a good color contrast and also, has I have noted before, Action!

Keep up

Rui
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 06:43 AM UTC
Thanks for the hint, Rui!
However the shape of the left edge is different than the other side. It is a bit hard to explain, but giving the edge the same surface treatment would make it look as if there was "a kink" in the wave. This part is painted as if part of the cross section.
I hope in later pictures it will become more evident.

Cheers, mate!

Guido
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 06:50 AM UTC
OK Guido
Images can trick us, and you're with the dio in your hands, so, you have the full perspective

Keep up
Rui
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 07:23 AM UTC
Guido, that is one frightening-looking wave!

--Karl
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 08:08 AM UTC
Keith, solid start on that rescueboat!

Guido - awesome wave!
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada