Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
1/350 Fujimi IJNS Haruna build
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 05:48 PM UTC
It's OK, I got the Revell versions of both of them as well..
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 09:12 AM UTC
Welll.. I DID order the Haruna from DragonUSA Online, remember that name, and then I get an email later saying is it OK to charge me another $57 for postage!! You quoted me a price then turn around and more than triple the price!? OF COURSE IT IS NOT ALRIGHT! What a rip-off bunch!! So I cancelled the order and the can put their Haruna where the sun doesn't shine. Remember, DragonUSA Online.. they suck...
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 09:36 AM UTC
Sounds like the joint strike fighter: they seem to increase in price after being ordered too. Rather upsets me too though getting plooked by what should be honest vendors.
Cheers,
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 10:30 AM UTC
They are not the only ones who do this though. But today is another day.
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 03:16 AM UTC
December 5th update:
Finished the first tender with framework for tarpaulin. Finicky work but it looks good. The aircraft handling crane has a slightly mangled look at the base thanks to some rather enthousiastic handling by me after a couple of excellent South American Pinot Noir's, (don't do this at home ). I have started on the first floatplane as well:

Small steps at the moment mostly due to PE work that takes some time.
All for now, back to the grindstone
cheers,
Julian
javlin
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Model Shipwrights: 92 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 03:09 AM UTC
OH that Sucks Julian on the crane but the rest of the PE looking quite good as usual.Cheers
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 04:06 AM UTC
Bummer about the crane. Otherwise, she is coming along nicely!
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 07:00 AM UTC
Thanks for the virtual support guys, but it is my own stupid fault. Actually it doesn't look as bad in real life as it does in a macro photo. I have bigger problems at the moment in 1/200th scale. I splurged on Trumpie's Arizona and it will arrive by UPS tomorrow. I will not be at home. Mrs. Gremlin56 will be at home. I will be killed on arrival and before I can look inside the box Life is so good yet sucks so much
If I survive I will post my impressions. If I don't post Mrs.Gremlin56 bludgeoned me to death with the hull of the Arizona
Cheers guys,
Julian
Oh, by the way, I finished the first aircraft:

Yes I know, the yellow leading edge stripes are too wide, should have reckoned with the float struts but I didn't ........................................................................
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 07:21 AM UTC
BWHAhehhee.. That would be a good bludgeon! I am lucky I have a certain amount I can spend each month and if I stay in that budget I am fine.

Hope the 'discussion' is not too intense mate.. I want a full blow by blow description later..
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 03:51 AM UTC
Final update of 2010: After a long pause work on the Haruna has picked up again. Heading into the final odds and sods now. Second spotter plane is finished, need to paint the trollies they are moved around on deck on. I am adding PE to the ship's tenders. Look better I must say. Also adding the railings although Fujimi have made this a fun job with their dreadful instruction sheet. Ok, photos:

A happy new year to everyone here at MSW's,
cheers,
Julian
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
KitMaker: 467 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 08:44 AM UTC
Hi Julian,
and Happy New Years !
I just spent a very enjoyable half hour reading through your excellent blog. I have only built one ship a 1/700 Sheffield -

http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums/postings.asp?th=46164

I build mainly armour and aero subjects. But I am really very impressed and fascinated with ship builds stems from when I was working in Taiwan and met some amazing ship modellers I was really drawn in !

I think the work here is really top class - I am more than impressed ! It really is nice to see all this work carefully detailed and explained. I am sure I will refer to many points as I really want to tackle another ship in the future.

Can I ask - did you say you use Gator glue for thePE parts? Is that a type of super glue. I have only used gel type super glue on pe but im interested in what you used on this.

Looking forward to more

Mark
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 09:40 AM UTC
Sorry to butt in Julian.. but Gator Glue is not super glue. It is a non-toxic white glue that is fantastic for glueing PE and Resin stuff onto plastic and othe PE and resin stuff..

It takes a while to set and gives you time to make adjustments before it goes hard. It is also flexible so if you bend a PE part after it is glued it will mostly spring back into position, unlike super glue where the part just breaks off and speeds off into the void never to be seen again.

One thing though, the less you use the better a it dries quicker, and it dries clear so it is great for transparencies, even making ships windows.
javlin
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Model Shipwrights: 92 posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 12:33 PM UTC
that is looking really sweet Julian!!She is coming together quite nicely Sir.I got my Prinz Eugen,USS Livermore and the Yukiaze(sp) for Christmas.I started on the rigging for the GS but got frustrated and started 1/32 Type 93 Willow for a diverson.Cheers and HNYear
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 07:58 PM UTC
Happy new year first of all Mark, thanks for the very kind remarks. Your Sheffiled build is fantastic. Really looks the part of one the British ships that spent months sailing to the Falklands and back without much chance of maintenance due to the weather down South. I was working for Smit Lloyd at that time and was on board the SL 61 and SL 62 in Aberdeen and Peterhead sailing on the Ninian field for Chevron. We used to wathc the BBC to follow events down South.
You got the weathering right without turning the ship into a candidate for the breakers yard, really subtle.
The Gator grip glue is magic stuff that makes life a bit easier when using PE. I think its a for of acryllic glue but I am not to sure there. It does give you some time to move parts around before it "bites". Can be thoroughly recommended and is sold by Kenny Loup, one of the forum "nomenclatura".

Warren, Kevin,
Thanks for dropping in guys, as you see I survived the Arizona purchase and I am walking normally again since the hull was surgically removed
Kevin, don't give up on the rigging of the Spee mate, that will give it the final finishing touch. It can be very irritating but it is a very necessary piece of the build. Try stretched sprue, it can be a bit easier to work with than thread.
Cheers,
Julian
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 12:31 AM UTC
January 2nd update:
Railings, railings, tenders, floatplanes and railings. Things going along nicely:

Reaching a point now that I am poking around in my stash wondering what to build next and the choice is a luxury problem
Cheers,
Julian
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 06:40 PM UTC
Oh that is beautiful work so far Julian. Looking forward to seeing her finished and what you will build next....Cheers and Happy New Year.....Mark
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 11:11 PM UTC
Happy new year to you too Mark, thanks and I hope that you have an excellent 2011.
cheers,
Julian
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 02:43 AM UTC
January 4th update: Secondary gun battery and more railings. Work going in is less apparent now. The "big" parts are all more or less finished. This is always the part of the build that is the least fun but has the biggest impact on the finished model's appearence. I always get tempted to start up on the next build, (yes, I have Work has already started on the hull of the next build, a US navy vessel, will be built making use of the Big Ed PE set and with after market barrels from WEM). I will have to order some more paint and try to get to grips with US navy colors). Here are some more photos of the Haruna:

More to come
cheers,
Julian
johndon
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 120 posts
Model Shipwrights: 34 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 08:17 AM UTC
Looking very nice indeed Julian.

John
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 06:44 PM UTC
Thank you very much John. Work has been proceeding, I'll try and get some more photos up.
Cheers,
Julian
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 - 03:05 AM UTC
January 17th update: It's into the small stuff now. last details and heading into the final straight. All the railings have been added now and the Fujimi PE fought me to the very last. The metal is too soft for this. Eduard, WEM or the bog standard railings from JB models in Vienna all give me more room to bend and adjust without falling apart. The boat boom on the starboard side is from a set from Lion Roar and this would also appear to be a bit more robust. Starting on the rigging as well now. Ok, photo's:

I will be starting up a new blog shortly: the Revell 1/144 Fletcher, using the complete Eduard set , (BIG ED!), and metal barrels from WEM. I will undoubtably get into hot water with this build because I am not a navy type and definately not a US navy type

Cheers,
Julian
Budgie
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 163 posts
Model Shipwrights: 162 posts
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 - 04:50 AM UTC
Very nice work Julian, I've picked up a few tips myself for my Yamato build. But, at present rate and all the corrections I have to do, that one should drag out for the next year or so. Nice to see a finished model this detailed. Cheers, Doug.
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 - 05:08 AM UTC
Very kind of you Doug, thanks. I have been following your Yamato build. The surgery and scratchbuilding you are doing is extremely brave and way beyond my capabilities.
Cheers,
Julian
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 01:44 AM UTC
January 23thrd update, final update:
I am calling the build finished, (just small odds and sods to do but nothing worth blogging from now on). Except for the Fujimi PE a very enjoyable build and once more a great learning experience for me. I have added stays to the boat boom and also added a Lionroar gangway, much more workable PE than Fujimi's offering. I will start off with the same photo twice, first unshopped and the second one shopped. This will explain the blueish tinge on the paint scheme:

To finish off here are some more snaps:

Thanks to everyone who visited the build and thanks for all the constructive advice I received.
Cheers,
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 01:59 AM UTC
Well done Julian. A finished model is always satisfying.

Cheers
Warren