_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Trumpeter's HMS Dreadnought 1907
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2013 - 10:29 PM UTC
This is my first build log and it will also be an entry in the Trumpeter campaign over on Armorama.
This is the collection of bits to be assembled

The kit has it's own photo etch but I have added the WEM set designed for Zvezda.

It has a lot of generic bits that are missing from the kit, loke railings and doors/hatches but the more fitted stuff maybe a challenge. I spent a while matching the WEM instructions to the Kits and I will just see how it pans out.
I tend to follow the order of the kit instructions, at least at the start anyway, so after an evening this is where I have got to.

The superstructure is just sitting on top for a view but the fit is very good so far.

Michael
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2013 - 11:25 PM UTC
Good choice of build Michael. Watching with interest.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 04:03 AM UTC
If there is even small dimension differences between Trumpeter and Zvezda some of the PE may not fit well.
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 05:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If there is even small dimension differences between Trumpeter and Zvezda some of the PE may not fit well.

Michael, I have both the Zvezda and Trumpeter kit in the stash and there are quite a few differences as they are from different years, as in 1907 and 1912 or something similar.. I fear that the WEM set won't fit the Trumpeter kit. I know it is your kit etc but if I was you I would keep the WEM set intact and either save it for the Zvezda kit or sell it and get a set designed specifically for the Trumpeter kit.

Either way I will be watching with interest.

Regards
Warren
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 06:31 AM UTC
Gday Michael

Nice choice of subject.

I will be following this build very keenly.

Cheers

Sean
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 07:11 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

Nice to see another Dreadnought on the go. Will be watching with much interest.

Si
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 10:43 PM UTC
Hi Russell and Sean, thanks for the support.

Simon, your Dreadnought is a good guide for me even though you have more brass bits to play with.

Warren and Biggles2, thanks for your thoughts.
The WEM photo-etch for Trumpy - Zvezda match is interesting. I have spent quite a bit of time going over it, measuring pieces etc. There are major pieces in the WEM set like the torpedo net shelf and some replacement decking that doesn't look like it will fit but a lot of the detail pieces are fine. By this I mean the railings (almost non-existent in the kit)the main turret and 12pdr gun details, ladders, doors, hatches and skylights, boats, oars. I guess out of the several hundred pieces of etch it is the larger flat shaped pieces that will be unused.

So I am not worried about the having the wrong set for the ki, maybe more whether there was a cheaper way to get the detail.

Thanks all,
Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 10:36 PM UTC
Progress of sorts.
I was too quick to say the fit was very good. In fixing the main deck to the hull the armour belts on the hull don't align with the P & Q deck fittings. Its only marginal but annoying nonetheless since I didn't notice of course unyil after the fact.

Trumpeter's approach to instructions are also interesting. If you follow the steps, they have you build the sub-assemblies even though they are not required. So I have few that have to be carefully set aside.

This is a mixture of WEM and kit etch (the funnels are the kits)
I have added a few extras to the hull and superstructure.

These I have just copied from the Kagero book.
One of the drawbacks is there is a complete lack of detail for the torpedo net booms, either in the kit or the WEM set which is disappointing considering they were a key feature of the boats at that time. I am not sure whether to add the detail or not. It would be fun but may be too fiddly.

And lastly a question:
In the kit the gun deck is depicted as decking and the Artwox set provides for it as well

I know on Simon's version (my template!) he has shown it as steel. Is there a definitive answer. The Kagero book doesn't have a great view it.

cheers
Michael
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 07:39 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

Looking very good.

Comparing both the Kagero book and AOTS it looka to me like that section of deck was not planked, equally I could be wrong, It is your model mate, if you wish to plank it you will get no criticism from me.

Interesting that Pontos do not include planking for that section, but Artworx do. I would not like to bet on which one is right.

Keep up the good work.

Si
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 10:09 PM UTC
I realised its 3 weeks since I posted an update.
I have been working away on bits and pieces that need pre-assembly, and when you use the photo-etch, fiddly!

(One of the things I have realised is that I need a camera that can focus closer than more a metre away from target)

Anyways, a productionline of 26 12pdrs took some time, with cutting, drilling and bending.

I wonder why Master, who make the half barrels, just don't cast the whole barrel or even better the whole gun.

The first level of the gun deck is complete.

Having seen the photo I am not sure pale yellow was the right choice for the searchlights

The front of the deck (there must a nautical term for this!)is completed with lots of galley chimneys and other sundries to ensure all will be knocked off at least once.

The hull remains as it is as I work on the pieces to detail the rigging for the torpedo booms. They wont be deployed but Trumpeter just has them as thin rods.

I would be interested if anybody has any ideas for a rolled up torpedo net.

thanks for looking,

Michael
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 02:19 AM UTC
Michael,
You are off to a great start! It will be cool to see how the Trumpeter Dreadnaught stacks up against the Zvezda rendering of the ship Si is working on too. For that surprisingly infrequently modeled ship, it is great to see two build logs going on at the same time. I'll be following your build with interest!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 06:05 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

Good to see some progress, I like the look of the planked decking in the superstructure.

Nice job so far.

Si
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 07:09 AM UTC
Hi Michael

Nice steady & methodical progress.

Does your camera have any macro settings?

Keep up the progress it looks great thus far.

Cheers

Sean
Shanghaied
Visit this Community
Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
KitMaker: 189 posts
Model Shipwrights: 106 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 05:50 PM UTC
Hi Michael

For your rolled up torpedo nets I have heard somebody recommend shoelaces (of course the round, braided ones). Otherwise you could try roll up a piece of very fine curtain.

Greetings from Shanghai
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 09:17 PM UTC
Hi Michael.

Now I am no expert on ships but I do know that the torpedo nets were removed from the Dreadnought at sometime during WW1 as they worked out they were just a huge waste of time and weight. I agree as a torpedo has lots of kinetic energy even without an explosive and I reckon it would have just gone straight through a net or bent it enough to hit the hull anyway.

As I said, I am not sure when they were removed but I suppose the 1907 version you are building may have still had them, but I am pretty sure the 1915 version didn't.

Also be careful with your build as the PE set is for the Zvezda 1912 version of the Dreadnought, the one in your kit is the 1907 version.. but don't ask me the differences!!

Looking good though..
Cheers mate and keep at it,
Yours
Warren
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 09:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael,
You are off to a great start! It will be cool to see how the Trumpeter Dreadnaught stacks up against the Zvezda rendering of the ship Si is working on too. For that surprisingly infrequently modeled ship, it is great to see two build logs going on at the same time. I'll be following your build with interest!

Thanks Tim,
This is only my second ship so I am using Simon as a benchmark which is why I am two months behind so I can see what's coming up. Though I have to say I do like the waterline effect, I am just not brave enough to cut the hull.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 09:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Michael,

Good to see some progress, I like the look of the planked decking in the superstructure.

Nice job so far.

Si

Cheers Simon. I have never used the decking before. It was a breeze to lay but has caused me some grief when putting on the boat deck. The holes Artwox provide are not quite big enough and also that fraction extra height does make a difference to way the kit pieces fit. It looks good but something I have learned for the future.

thanks Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Michael

Nice steady & methodical progress.

Does your camera have any macro settings?

Keep up the progress it looks great thus far.

Cheers

Sean

Hi Sean,
Thanks and sadly no, no macro settings on the multiple cameras in the house except the old film camera but I ain't going back there. I am thinking of investing in a macro lens but...a few hundred bucks for the lens or a few more kits. Its a tough choice.
Michael
Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 09:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Michael

For your rolled up torpedo nets I have heard somebody recommend shoelaces (of course the round, braided ones). Otherwise you could try roll up a piece of very fine curtain.

Greetings from Shanghai

Thanks Tom, I will look into that, especially the shoelace. Fine curtain might not hold its shape if I paint it gray.
but I will give it go and post a picture and see what people think.

Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 10:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Michael.

Now I am no expert on ships but I do know that the torpedo nets were removed from the Dreadnought at sometime during WW1 as they worked out they were just a huge waste of time and weight. I agree as a torpedo has lots of kinetic energy even without an explosive and I reckon it would have just gone straight through a net or bent it enough to hit the hull anyway.

As I said, I am not sure when they were removed but I suppose the 1907 version you are building may have still had them, but I am pretty sure the 1915 version didn't.

Also be careful with your build as the PE set is for the Zvezda 1912 version of the Dreadnought, the one in your kit is the 1907 version.. but don't ask me the differences!!

Looking good though..
Cheers mate and keep at it,
Yours
Warren

Hi Warren,
My Kagero bible has some great pictures of the nets, deployed and stowed. You're right that they removed the nets from ships early in the war. The 1912 battlecruiser I have has them on the box picture but I will build that without.

The photoetch is an interesting one. The WEM kit was certainly made for the Zvezda kit. I originally thought about just using for hatches, doors and railings plus the secondary gun detailing. WEM do a great rendition of the chart room, which looks way better than the kit pieces but it is about 1mm longer. Tell me if it's obvious when I post the photo in the next day or so. I had heard that the hulls of the two kits where slightly different sizes so I didn't hold out much hope for the larger pieces but the torpedo net shelves seem to fit perfectly.
All in all I have some value out of the WEM set. The telltale sign will be how many bits remain unused.

thanks for your support,

cheers

Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 10:17 PM UTC
A quick update. I have completed the boat deck, but no boats. I am working on the Chart room and Admirals walk. They are fairly simple construction unless you find the chart room about a mil longer than the deck roof. What is testing my resolve is folding the railings for some complex shapes
But good news, according to the instructions I have completed 23 out 46 steps. Half way? yeah right!

Thanks for the kind comments,

Michael
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 06:13 AM UTC
Ahoy Michael

Sounds like great progress.

Have you thought of coating the fine curtain/netting in PVA glue thinned with water before you paint? Just a thought.

I spent ages with my camera though a cheap one and found the macro settings. Makes a major difference one problem it can really highlight error, construction mistakes & poor finishes.

The camera lens can be very unforgiving!

Cheers

Sean
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 09:13 PM UTC
I see it is a month since I updated the build. Reading my last entry show how much I tempted fate saying it was fairly simple construction for the Admirals walk and Chart room. A combination of my cack handness (major) and the order of Trumpeter instructions and fit saw the area from funnel to funnel become an area of much frustration.

Anyway, a new year and some new found patience has it back on track. I have completed most of the superstructure. The big guns are done and need some paint and there 12pdrs put on. The boats also need paint. After that I can go back to the hull and detailing the booms and stowed netting.

Because I took a month off I forgot to take any interim pictures but here where she lays for the moment.

The enhancement for the guns a combination of WEM (platforms and ladder) and trumpeter (the range finders)

My version of the rigging. Still need to add the stays. The spars are brass, with trumpeter's not up to the job if you want to rig. They are just too fragile. You can't really see it in this photo but i add a mast ladder from the lookout to the top, which still needs a weathervane cap.

And overhead. I just like how long the main gun barrels in relation to everything else.

You may also notice the Chart room railings are not quite right. We have yet to fully reconcile on this yet.

cheers
Michael
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 09:57 PM UTC
Hi Michael,

Looking good, the rigging makes the foremast look the part.

Well done mate. Following with much interest.

Si
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 01:58 PM UTC
Nice work Michael.

Really well done thus far.

Cheers

Sean
 _GOTOTOP