Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
My slipway of progress
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2014 - 10:09 PM UTC
Thanks Sean, no progress today, out doing chores.

The photos I found on a Google search really help, I was suspect on the fitting of the 20mm in the bridge wings for a 1940's Eskimo and after much searching there was a clear photo with her bow blown off that shows twin Lewis guns in the bridge wings. The blown off bows and the F75 hull number clearly date the picture.

Anyway there's another 3 Tribals waiting after Eskimo, HMS Zulu, HMCS Huron, HMAS Arunta, so by the end I should know what I'm doing.
Littorio
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 07:29 PM UTC
Well not a lot to show today, spent ten minutes on the floor searching for a bit of pe which I dropped as I removed it from the blackening agent which I then knocked over as I tried to catch the pe part. Any way pe part recovered, carpet monster going hungry today

Todays been spent on the other .50 vickers and a bit of a tidy up plus getting some pe parts blackened ready for paint. So here's a comparison between the WEM .50 vickers without its pe and the Trumpeter kit part (Trumpy on the right)

Littorio
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 10:02 PM UTC
Been a while since I posted any progress here, any way I have a Fletcher class on the go in the Leyte gulf campaign but in between I have been slowly building this 1942 Gato class from AFV Club the USS Flying Fish.

Still a fair way to go.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 10:09 PM UTC
Had to play a little catch up on this one Luciano! Now that that is out of the way, fine job on Z-17 and U-1023!! Both look great. Love the looks of the 1023 on the block with the fish in front of it!! Well done! Caught up on your Eskimo as well...coming along quite nicely!! And now the Flying fish! Nothing better than a busy shipyard!! keep up the great job!!
Littorio
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 05:46 PM UTC
Thanks Todd, anyway while glue dries on the Hoel a bit more has been done on the Flying Fish namely the base.

TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 08:47 PM UTC
Looking real sharp!! LOL...making me want to break out a sub now!!!
Littorio
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2015 - 10:58 PM UTC
Todd go on you know you want too!

With USS Hoel finished for the Leyte Gulf campaign and no name plate for the Flying Fish I thought I'd go back and get a slipway queen finished so back on the bench is U-213. I think/hope it will be finished over the coming weekend. There will be little crew members from North Star standing on the deck for this one, you can see them in the foreground ready for primer.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 04:42 AM UTC
Very nice...some little guys for the deck!! Very little guys!! Looking forward to seeing them get placed!! Well done so far on the sub!! They will take it over the top!!
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 05:53 AM UTC
Luciano,

You are a modeling MACHINE! Great work on your builds, and extra points for ambition!

Can't wait to see the little Germans go aboard the U-Boat - I have some of the North Star USN figures, and they are incredible. I'll bet those little submariners will bring your boat to the next level!

Littorio
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2015 - 09:51 PM UTC
Tim, Todd thank you.

Well the little guys are very little, had to use the magnifier just to put paint on the faces first try without missed completely Managed to give the captain a white cap.

Anyway some teasing and we got there. So here is the U-213

TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2015 - 11:38 PM UTC
Awesome Luciano!! The crew looks great on board! Fantastic job on this one!! Well done!
Littorio
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 08:39 PM UTC
Thanks Todd and now we move onto another dock yard queen although to be fair all that had been done was clean up and the mounting, so here we have the Dutch Hr.Ms. O-16 back on the bench with a Sunderland sneaking in on the party.
The Sunderland will be finished as a machine of 40Sqd RAAF hence the all over Foliage green. O-16 was lost after striking a Japanese mine but until only a few years ago the loss was blamed on the skipper for hitting a British mine field on his charts, the Japanese mine field was only revelled recently.

O-16 was the first service sub to have a snorkel device and also had a twin set of tubes mounted forward that could be transversed to either beam, the AA guns could also disappear down into wells when the sub submerged.

Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 09:03 PM UTC
The use of figures really adds to the sense of scale and really
brings that sub to life.

Well done, Luciano!

Cheers,
Joe
Littorio
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 06:52 PM UTC
Thanks Joe.

On with the O-16, a bit of tidy up after the primer went on over night then the base colours went on. From my research the best match colours (in acrylic) is Revell 45 light olive, Vallejo 883 silver grey and 812 Violet red, so base coats are down plus the wood deck which has had a wash already as once the detail goes on it will be hard to wash without knocking anything off. A few detail parts are going to be hit with primer over night but work now intervenes so no more work on O-16 until next week.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2015 - 06:54 AM UTC
Nice seeing you keeping the docs busy Luciano! A little destructive building happening...very nice!! Keep plugging away over there!!
Littorio
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2015 - 02:45 AM UTC
Thanks Todd

Little break from the O-16, I was at a show over the weekend with my local club and wanting to do something I decided to start these two.

USS Independence (Bronco) and USS Benson 1945 (Dragon)
Littorio
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 10:11 PM UTC
Well with me not having the correct paints for the Independence I ventured forth with the Benson so here is where we stand.

The decks are ready for the anti-slip decals so that will be the next task followed by more camo and I'll start to add the forward superstructure.
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 - 12:17 AM UTC
Luciano, I love those figures!

"Pa-rade... REST!"
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 - 05:35 AM UTC
Nice bit of color on the Benson Luciano!!
Littorio
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 - 09:32 PM UTC
Thanks Tim, Todd, well the deck anti-slip decals went down today and a bit more of the measure 32/3D painted, of course all by hand apart from the masking for the lower hull and boot topping all the rest is free hand. First bit of the forward superstructure added, next is to get some of the small detail added before I go any further but that will have to wait a couple of days as its back to work.

Here's an update photo.
Littorio
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2015 - 06:57 PM UTC
A little update, Benson has had a little bit more work done but no photos today we'll see tomorrow however I attended a show yesterday and whilst walking around and taking photos I also took some time to put glue to resin and plastic.

So onto my travel bench came the WEM 1/350 Kingfisher class Sloop HMS Kittiwake and the Academy 1/350 Cutty Sark.
The Kittiwake's hull is a two part affair split at the waterline but the lower section appears to have suffered from shrinking as it's slightly short and doesn't meet both sides, so a first layer of filler went on while at the show and will be followed a bit later today with another layer.
Errrr... The Cutty Sark well I thought, nice lets do something different, I don't know the age or origin of the moulds but who ever did them must of had a blindfold on as the detail doesn't match the real ship at all. No figure head, name missing from the bow, detail on the stern all wrong, life boat arrangement wrong however I'll still try and finish this with some scratch work and raiding the spares box.

RedDuster
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2015 - 11:44 PM UTC
The Camo on the Benson is looking really Good Luciano.

Nice to see progress on something I saw the stat of.

Si
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 12:13 AM UTC
The Benson is getting close now...Looking great still!! Nice to see a couple of newer stragglers popping up!! The Kittiwake is a fine looking vessel as is the Cutty!! Keep things heated up on the bench!!
Littorio
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 - 10:17 PM UTC
Thanks guys.

With a bit of time today I got back to the Benson, most of the major parts are now on so now it's the small bits and a little bit of paint touch up as required.

Checking the photo of Benson I noticed that the crew didn't follow the Measure 32/3D to the letter, the dull black stripe on the bridge does not go all the way to the top as it should. Anyway here's where we stand so far, I'm at another show tomorrow so no more progress on the Benson but I may start another
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 - 10:31 PM UTC
Looking good Luciano!! I figure we could assume the crew didn't want to set up the extra ladder to get all the way to the top and paint!! LOL!! Enjoy the show!!